• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDP Windows 10 gaming console - Crowdfunded (381% of $100K goal)

Holy shit, what the hell am I doing starting a gamin thread?!?

Anyways, check this mofo out. I'm tempted. Really tempted...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console#/

http://liliputing.com/2016/04/gpd-w...ardware-update-ahead-launch-crowdfunding.html

gpd-win.jpg

ilrnh1ycxv1t9gbsjdhn.jpg

- 5.5" 720p IPS touchscreen
- Atom X5-Z8550
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB eMMC 4.51
- 2 Analog sticks, L1 L2 R1 R2 buttons, ABXY buttons, + D pad etc...
- QWERTY thumboard
- $299

These guys apparently already have Android based consoles out in the market. This will be their first Windows unit. Should be awesome for emus of older consoles and older PC games. Already fully funded (381%). Still has 10 days to go.

Interesting. I'll probably jump on one when it comes out if it reviews well. Has anyone had any experiences with other devices by these people?
I'd like to see how Quantum Break performs on that.

I believe the general rule for integrated chipsets these days is that current-gen multplats are pretty much off the table unless you're cool with min settings and low framerates but anything designed to scale down to last-gen consoles or lower will work okay.

kinggroin

Banned
Fwiw, Rise of the Tomb Raider runs at 1024x768 Low preset at 13fps on my i3/460m laptop.

Not sure the relevance to this thread, but there you go.

Jarate

Banned
It will be good for emulators but the Android version already does that well at half the cost.
I betcha it can probably run at least low graphics of 360/ps3 games. This could easily work as a portable device if you wanted something like a portable skyrim or fallout NV

It will be good for emulators but the Android version already does that well at half the cost.

I'm actually thinking about the Android version. Wish it ran more updated version. Only 4.44...

How is the thing? Do you have it? Where did you buy it? I DEMAND ANSWERS!!

MUnited83

For you.
This will do nothing and go nowhere with games that are not optimized for it's hardware.
False and false. It will play plenty of older games, indies, and it will play a fuckton of emulators at fullspeed.

So it will do just fine and also have a fucking huge library to boot.

Burai

shitonmychest57

And you can stream with Moonlight too if you have an nVidia card.

I like the idea but if the cheap Chinese Windows tablets are anything to go by, thermal throttling and battery will be an issue when trying to game natively on it.

NeoRaider

False and false. It will play plenty of older games, indies, and it will play a fuckton of emulators at fullspeed.

So it will do just fine and also have a fucking huge library to boot.

It would flop. Not many ppl would buy this for old games and indies.

MUnited83

For you.
It would flop. Not many ppl would buy this for old games and indies.
I dont think you're aware of what kind of company GPD is. They don't want this tobsell millions, and they don't it to. Its a niche device, just like their Android handhelds that have happened to be sucessful enough for them to make several iterations. Couple that those sell and give them profit just fine, a version with Windows with more compatibility, more games, more programs... Its going to sell fine. Its not going to be a flop because this was never designed for the mass market in the first place.

I like everything except the left D-pad/analog stick placement.

Too close and I can see myself accidentally tapping the D-pad all the time.

I dont think you're aware of what kind of company GPD is. They don't want this tobsell millions, and they don't it to. Its a niche device, just like their Android handhelds that have happened to be sucessful enough for them to make several iterations. Couple that those sell and give them profit just fine, a version with Windows with more compatibility, more games, more programs... Its going to sell fine. Its not going to be a flop because this was never designed for the mass market in the first place.

I can see devices like this effectively becoming the successor to dedicated handhelds- not a huge market, but since they can leverage an existing ecosystem that has plenty of games it has the muscle for they'll do well enough.

BiggNife

I'm pretty sure GPD is well aware that this is a niche product for a niche audience. The GPD XD has gained a cult following as a portable emulation machine and it seems to have done well for them, hence this new Win10 model.

With an Atom processor and integrated graphics, this probably won't be able to play a lot of recent games even on minimum. But I'm sure it would be a fantastic emulator device (I think the XD can even handle Dreamcast games), and it seems perfect for streaming Steam games like a NVidia Shield Portable.

Zafir

I'm pretty sure GPD is well aware that this is a niche product for a niche audience. The GPD XD has gained a cult following as a portable emulation machine and it seems to have done well for them, hence this new Win10 model.

With an Atom processor and integrated graphics, this probably won't be able to play a lot of recent games even on minimum. But I'm sure it would be a fantastic emulator device (I think the XD can even handle Dreamcast games), and it seems perfect for streaming Steam games like a NVidia Shield Portable.

It should handle Dreamcast games pretty easily. My windows tablet can and it's got an older bay trail processor. The only exceptions are some harder to run games, such as Shenmue 2(even the Dreamcast itself struggled to run that one!), but even that was pretty playable.

PSP games run really well on it too.

PS2/Dolphin it kind of struggles with though. Some stuff works, a lot doesn't. I managed to get FInal Fantasy X working really well for example, but that's one of the easier to run games.

This looks a million times more realistic to put together for a decent price than that ludicrous dual-screen magic box from last week. Interested to see how it works out.

It should handle Dreamcast games pretty easily. My windows tablet can and it's got an older bay trail processor. The only exceptions are some harder to run games, such as Shenmue 2(even the Dreamcast itself struggled to run that one!), but even that was pretty playable.

PSP games run really well on it too.

PS2/Dolphin it kind of struggles with though. Some stuff works, a lot doesn't. I managed to get FInal Fantasy X working really well for example, but that's one of the easier to run games.

Doesn't Cherry Trail have 4X the GPU power of Bay Trail Atom? It's has 16 of generation 8 EU vs 4 of generation 7 EU of the Bay Trail GPU. Unless the game is CPU starved, this should handily outperform your tablet.

500$......720p
I duno...
It's not a terrible design...I just....honestly kind of feel this is a product that could have been sweet 4 years ago or something. 720p isn't death squad. But at 5.5inches, from eyes that have seen 5.1 and so inch 1080p AMOLED and 2k AMOLED and 1080p IPS displays on phones for the past 3 or 4 years. It's going to look not sharp.

Now...if it were a 5.5 tablet that you attatched to some keyboard controller LIKE that....that would be a little better.

But 500$ for a 720p mini laptop is eh...weird.

Neat concept but it's already outdated and overpriced.

500$......720p
I duno...
It's not a terrible design...I just....honestly kind of feel this is a product that could have been sweet 4 years ago or something. 720p isn't death squad. But at 5.5inches, from eyes that have seen 5.1 and so inch 1080p AMOLED and 2k AMOLED and 1080p IPS displays on phones for the past 3 or 4 years. It's going to look not sharp.

Now...if it were a 5.5 tablet that you attatched to some keyboard controller LIKE that....that would be a little better.

But 500$ for a 720p mini laptop is eh...weird.

Neat concept but it's already outdated and overpriced.

It's $300, not $500. And it's Cherry Trail, the latest Atom CPU. And running Windows, you don't want higher DPI than this for 5.5", otherwise you'll never be able to click on UI elements even with 200% scaling.

Doesn't Cherry Trail have 4X the GPU power of Bay Trail Atom? It's has 16 of generation 8 EU vs 4 of generation 7 EU of the Bay Trail GPU. Unless the game is CPU starved, this should handily outperform your tablet.

Only 30% More efficient CPU, though.

I'd pay a $200+ premium for a Core M version. Hope it's something they would consider.

I'd pay a $200+ premium for a Core M version. Hope it's something they would consider.

I think Core M is not recommended by Intel for less than 10" tablet form factor. 5.5" footprint... I don't know...

But then again, Intel themselves have a Compute Stick with Core M coming out. But that SOB is like $400 without screen so in this configuration, it will be $500 easy.

Darkangel

I'm actually kind of shocked that people aren't on board with this thing. If the final design matches what they're claiming, then it will be an amazing handheld gaming device (assuming it's ergonomic).

Some benchmarks from the older Atom Z8500 CPU:

Wii and Gamecube games on Dolphin
Battlefield 4 Multiplayer
GTA IV
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005)
PS2 games on PCSX2

As far as I know, Android devices can't emulate anything past the Dreamcast. Not to mention all the older PC games that this new device will be able to play perfectly.

It kind of reminds me of that old Pandora handheld from years ago.

StereoVsn

Core M is about 6-8x the cost of the Atom CPU. Atom CPU also comes with very cheap version of Windows 10. Core M is just not realistic in this price set.

Edit: Oh, and there are plenty of games that will run fine on this thing. You will be able to run Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Morrowind (to previous question above), and plenty of other games on it. I do wish the screen was a bit larger, at perhaps 6-6.5" as it would make it plain better for available real-estate.

Roufianos

This could be exactly what I wanted from Vita + PS Now, a chance to re-visit F3 and Oblivion with the poor ageing not as noticeable on handheld.

StereoVsn

This could be exactly what I wanted from Vita + PS Now, a chance to re-visit F3 and Oblivion with the poor ageing not as noticeable on handheld.

Funny thing is that now that Sony has remote play for PC, this can literally replace Vita for PS4 streaming.

Hence why I said I'd pay a $200+ premium. The Atom is just too limiting for more demanding applications in my experience.
Core M at decent speed will melt that plastic case at that size. I think the Compute Stick is severely underclocked. Kinda defeats the purpose of using Core M at that point.

I'm perfectly content with having a tiny usable pocket Windows 10 PC with thumb board and gaming controls bonus for $299.

StereoVsn

Core M at decent speed will melt that plastic case at that size. I think the Compute Stick is severely underclocked. Kinda defeats the purpose of using Core M at that point.

I'm perfectly content with having a tiny usable pocket Windows 10 PC with thumb board and gaming controls bonus for $299.

I do wish they had a slightly larger 8750 version. That could be doable with a bit bigger battery, slightly higher res screen, say 6-7" screen size and generally a bit bigger body (plus perhaps 128gb storage option). That would drive the price up some (say $100 sans 128gb storage), but would certainly add quite a bit to the device.

I got to say though that $500 price (once crowd funding is done, would be DOA).

Top Bottom