• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Memento

So, PS4K (PS4.5 or PS4 Neo, as you wish) is pretty much confirmed by now. Want it or not, looks like its legit. Even though it is going to be more powerful, providing better framerate/resolution/effects/etc for games, I think the selling point will be its ability to run 4K content. But for that... we need a 4K TV!

As a complete TV noob I would like some experts' opinion on which 4K TV to buy. And then more people that have interest on buying one could use this thread as a reference point too.

So, my case first: I am on a limited budget, and I cant spend too much right now. So forget about 80" OLED displays recommendations haha. I found these 3 options: (it is a brazilian site, so it is portuguese, but the specs are kind of universal in its language so I dont think it matters)

1. Philips 4K Smart TV, LED 40"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....er_path=#/produto/2311810/detalhe?sku=5116747

2. Samsumg 4K Smart TV, LED 48"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....=&&m=1&crawler_path=#/produto/2042125/detalhe

3. LG 4K Smart TV, LED 43"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....=&&m=1&crawler_path=#/produto/4482319/detalhe

I would just like to know from someone with reasonable knowledge on this stuff if these 3 TVs are good. The price is in "reais" (brazilian currency), so you guys dont need to take that on your judgment, I just gather 3 TVs in 3 differents prices that could be affordable for me. Basically, I am asking if these TVs are going to display 4K decently and if I should bite in any of these.

Thanks in advance!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would go with the biggest one myself, even if it is a Samsung. You want to maximise the benefits of the increased resolution. If money wasn't an issue I would recommend a Sony, as they are the best at upscaling 1080p content, which is very important as it is the resolution you will be playing most games at on the Neo.

Also, make absolutely sure the TV is HDR-compatible. This is one of the main benefits of 4K output right now and a surprising amount of TVs don't support it.

choofed.gif

Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?

Doesn't everything we know about the specs so far indicate that it will be sub-par at running 4K games?

TBF the OP said 'content', and not games specifically.

JebaćBiedę;201469222 said:
Does 1080p on 4k look as bad as 720p on 1080p?

It depends on how good the TV is at upscaling. I chose mine specifically for this feature, 1080p looks amazing when upscaled on my screen.

Sephzilla

IIRC, 4k gaming isn't even a standard thing for the PC side of the gaming world. What in the world makes you think the PS4k is going to hit those resolutions?

Edit - Oh, you're doing it for more than the games.

Buying an expensive TV to compliment a product that we have no confirmation exists

Seems pretty silly. Unless you were gonna upgrade anyway.

I recently got a Samsung UN65JS9500 on sale (it's the 2015 model) and it looks fantastic with the limited 4K content I can throw at it.. and 1080P stuff looks great as well.

btrboyev

Yeah, there isn't any way you will be getting 4K with most games. Perhaps some indie and smaller titles. It will be 4K bluray capable for sure.

Toki767

JebaćBiedę;201469222 said:
Does 1080p on 4k look as bad as 720p on 1080p?

No. 4K is exactly 4x the resolution of 1080p. If you've seen a PSP game on the Vita, you'd know what to expect.

Servbot24

Banned
Don't buy a product to augment another product that doesn't even exist yet, and if/when it does exist won't necessarily have any meaningful way to utilize the augmenting product.

wicko

Recommend using this site to help decide: http://ca.rtings.com/tv (Canadian link)

I also recommend taking a look at Vizio TVs. P Series is relatively expensive (compared to their other offerings) and minimum 50". Vizio series in order of quality and price, increasing: D, E, M, P, R

Personally interested in an M Series.

Do not buy a 4K TV that doesn't conform to the standards that got set at the end of last year. Most 4K TVs do not meet these standards. To put it in perspective, this would be like buying an HDTV before that didn't have720p, or before it had 1080p, or didn't have HDMI or didn't have HDCP. The standards just got set. Only a few conform to them. More will be out by the end of the year. They should be pretty common by 2017.

Mehdi

Neo Member
So, PS4K (PS4.5 or PS4 Neo, as you wish) is pretty much confirmed by now. Want it or not, looks like its legit. Even though it is going to be more powerful, providing better framerate/resolution/effects/etc for games, I think the selling point will be its ability to run 4K content. But for that... we need a 4K TV!

As a complete TV noob I would like some experts' opinion on which 4K TV to buy. And then more people that have interest on buying one could use this thread as a reference point too.

So, my case first: I am on a limited budget, and I cant spend too much right now. So forget about 80" OLED displays recommendations haha. I found these 3 options: (it is a brazilian site, so it is portuguese, but the specs are kind of universal in its language so I dont think it matters)

1. Philips 4K Smart TV, LED 40"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....er_path=#/produto/2311810/detalhe?sku=5116747

2. Samsumg 4K Smart TV, LED 48"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....=&&m=1&crawler_path=#/produto/2042125/detalhe

3. LG 4K Smart TV, LED 43"
http://m.casasbahia.com.br/crawler....=&&m=1&crawler_path=#/produto/4482319/detalhe

I would just like to know from someone with reasonable knowledge on this stuff if these 3 TVs are good. The price is in "reais" (brazilian currency), so you guys dont need to take that on your judgment, I just gather 3 TVs in 3 differents prices that could be affordable for me. Basically, I am asking if these TVs are going to display 4K decently and if I should bite in any of these.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for posting this! I was actually going to start looking into this.

Markitron

Get something bigger than 55". I cannot tell a difference whatsoever between 1080 and 4k on my 55" TV.

What content are you displaying? If your talking about Netflix in UHD or something I could understand.

Get something bigger than 55". I cannot tell a difference whatsoever between 1080 and 4k on my 55" TV.

I guess it depends how far you are sitting away. My 55" 4k TV is directly at the edge of my bed and the difference is pretty clear. If it would be in a normal living room situation, where you sit like 2-3m away from it, I guess its hard to see a big difference.

It is not for games. 4K content in general.

I would love to watch Netflix at 4K. House of Cards must be amazing at 4K.

Sadly we are going towards dark times in my country.... here in Brazil companies are creating boundaries for those who play video games and streaming content.

So... they want to charge taxes for those who play online and watch Netflix.

Vire

Why would you get a 40 inch 4K screen tho.

It'd be next to impossible to see any kind of difference. You really need a bigger screen to take make the most of any perceptible advantage.

Kill3r7

It is not for games. 4K content in general.

Outside of UHD movies and some streaming content there is not much else out there content-wise to justify owning a 4K TV. If you are in market though the Vizio P series is an excellent choice. Depending on how the PS4K sells there might also be some bundles this fall (TV+PS4K).

Sephzilla

I would love to watch Netflix at 4K. House of Cards must be amazing at 4K.

Sadly we are going towards dark times in my country.... here in Brazil companies are creating boundaries for those who play video games and streaming content.

So... they want to charge taxes for those who play online and watch Netflix.

Off topic but I dont understand comments like this. What does 4K add to watching a show like House of Cards?

Take a look at the new Vizio P-Series if it's in your budget: http://www.vizio.com/p-series

The addition of HDR, Ultra Color Spectrum, and the built in Google casting put this pretty high up on the list of available 4K sets. Previews from most tech sites have been very favorable.

FinKL

This is exactly what Sony wants. Threads like these.

Yep, and the mentality keeps spreading. It's pretty much PS4.5 or PS Neo but not PS4k. We barely have $1000 video cards pushing 4k30fps and people think a $500 console is going to drive 4k res.

Top Bottom