• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Anatomia (JP) |OT| It Shall Be Engraved Upon Your Soul - Mobile For Life!

duckroll

qtj579H.jpg

Title: Valkyrie Anatomia The Origin
Genre: RPG
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Doki Doki Groove Works & Seventh Chord

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.valkyriejp
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1082568835

Supported phone models: http://www.valkyrieanatomia.com/model.html

Gameplay footage recorded by someone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrhVSQHIB18

Service starts on 28 April 2016 in Japan. The game is available for download now with a single tutorial mission, the prologue story, and 3 weapon gacha pulls. Go get it now!

The game is a prequel to VP1 and is set long before VP1 takes place. It is about the origins of the Valkyrie and an invasion of Asgard by Hel that brings the 9 realms into chaos, requiring Odin to unseal the Valkyrie to rally the Einherjer into Valhalla. Why was the Valkyrie sealed by Odin's father? What is the true nature of the Valkyrie? Why does the game start with am ominous foreshadowing that Lenneth will become the enemy of the world? Such excite. Much intrigue. Tap tap tap!

duckroll

Odin's character design in this game is a huge downgrade btw. But Loki actually looks pretty cool. I guess you win some and you lose some. Lol.

Ugh... weapon draws, star ranks, AP

Why does every single mobile game have the same frameworks

Its all standards and no diversity

duckroll

Thanks. hmm The art looks like modern anime style it's not bad but I must say I vastly prefer the original VP art.

Yeah there's no question that the overall character art is a huge downgrade from the Yoshinari brothers. At least Loki looks like a punk though. Odin just looks... dumb. Lol.

/me hugs Valkyrie Profile Materials Collection.

Is Odin the guy with long hair carrying the branch? That's the only design I like so far.

Game looks okay from the footage. If this gets an English release, I'll probably give it a spin.

LuuKyK

Well I tried and it was... Ok I guess. Not really a fan of the character designs but its not that bad either, just prefer the older style.

Touching the character portrait to attack feels weird.

Ugh... weapon draws, star ranks, AP

Why does every single mobile game have the same frameworks

Its all standards and no diversity

It's like pachinko. Every machine/game has a new visual skin and various bells and whistles, but they all come down to the same basic principles of exploiting gambling addicts for profit.

Nekki

I'll play this with salty tears in my eyes.

The game looks okay, nothing stellar.

Is that Freya in the art image above?? The older one is much, much better.

Maxim726X

Man, I wish the franchise got a full fledged console sequel.

Maybe I'll take a look at it if/when it comes to the US, depending on impressions I read here.

I love me some VP but I thin I will pass on this. The demo was good for a spin and I want to try the main game out a little bit but not just to play the same ol: Manage AP and 3 other useless currencies and fight against a Gacha system.

One can only pray for a true VP3 soon.

poncle

This plays quite badly compared to similar mobile games. You have to juggle enemies, so getting the right timing when comboing is necessary, or you attacks will just miss.
It was hard to master on consoles, good luck trying to do it on a touch screen.

Tapping characters icons doesn't give any feedback: no sound, visual effect, no heptic feedback either. You just hope you've pressed the right icon at the right time and stand there watching some cool moves.

Sound and visual effects when hitting enemies are great at least, the usual stuff you'd expect from a VP.

Hastati

I wonder why so few companies are willing to risk more traditional development for the phone market...is it really impossible to come up with non-gambling based models?

Edit: any opinions on the story? Is the writing any good?

Starting to wonder if hoop and a stick was the correct choice

Makes me sad to see Valkyrie Profile reduced to yet another fee-to-play game. The new art style's not doing anything for me either.

Call me when they finally decide to make VP: Hrist.

Visceir

Game seems to run fine on Bluestacks emulator. Now I'm wondering if there are mods or ways to bind touch/swipes to keys, could play it in a traditional way then.

duckroll

Edit: any opinions on the story? Is the writing any good?

Hard to tell at this point really. Only the prologue is available. The framing narrative this time seems about as potentially convoluted as VP2 at the very least. My main interest in the title is that it seems it might bring back the format of VP1 where each Einherjer has a personal story and you play as a Valkyrie recruiting them at their point of death. My interest in continuing to play the game will depend on how good those stories are.

Visceir

Mapping buttons to taps on specific locations on screen was easy enough but there seems to be just a general "swipe up" mapping and nothing location based. Would be cool to get all of this working.

Amon-Lau

Hard to tell at this point really. Only the prologue is available. The framing narrative this time seems about as potentially convoluted as VP2 at the very least. My main interest in the title is that it seems it might bring back the format of VP1 where each Einherjer has a personal story and you play as a Valkyrie recruiting them at their point of death. My interest in continuing to play the game will depend on how good those stories are.
This is why I never was a big fan of VP2, I didn't like how bland each einharjar was~
I wonder how they're gonna do it with this...

Lime

7th Chord being involved as developer should mean some true to VP gameplay even without tri-Ace's involvement.

7th Cord? Could you elaborate on what you mean?

In general, I wonder what tri-ace is up to now that SO5 is over and done with, production-wise.

Cyrano

In general, I wonder what tri-ace is up to now that SO5 is over and done with, production-wise.
Given their current direction, whatever they're working on I'm hoping it's not VP. Granted, this prequel looks awful and I'm not sure of the team/director I'd like to see working on it. Maybe Yoko Taro?

Lime

Given their current direction, whatever they're working on I'm hoping it's not VP. Granted, this prequel looks awful and I'm not sure of the team/director I'd like to see working on it. Maybe Yoko Taro?

I don't know, their current direction seems more of a problem of budget rather than talent - Exist Archive was low budget and so was Star Ocean 5. Both games had positive aspects to them (according to importers and fans), but were hampered due to a (perceived) small budget.

Cyrano

I don't know, their current direction seems more of a problem of budget rather than talent - Exist Archive was low budget and so was Star Ocean 5. Both games had positive aspects to them (according to importers and fans), but were hampered due to a (perceived) small budget.
I'm unsure if it's budget or audience at this point. I think the budget they may want or need may simply not be the audience they have. Granted, I'm not sure what their budget looks like and I'm aware that whatever the case is, it's apparently shoestring at best. Still, if they're having trouble making things after having had as many projects as they have (with, presumed, similarly scaled budgets), I'd be inclined to say it's a matter of who's steering the ship and to where.

Shouta

Oh, just the intro and tutorial is up. I liked it so far and it runs well on my Nexus 5. Intro was pretty in-line with VP1 and the writing seemed fine. Comboing enemies will take a bit of practice but it's doable.

Top Bottom