• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF (Re)Plays Zero Escape (999 & VLR): NEW VLR Giveaways

Soulflarz

Banned
I already replayed iOS and basically have all of 999/VLR memorized still, so I'll sadly have to sit this one out.

To everyone joining though, PLAY THESE TWO GAMES.

Flunkie

Banned
Just beat 999 for the first time two weeks ago, currently on the first real puzzle in VLR on Vita. I wish the "scrolling the room" touch controls wasn't so sensitive or I could turn down the sensitivity. Have to rely on using the L and R buttons to navigate without spinning like crazy with just a flick.

Griss

Sweet, I just started replaying 999 the other day because ZTD is coming and there were two endings I never got. I got the
true
ending, obviously.

The biggest thing to know about 999, and that is reinforced by going back to it, is that
VLR is massively superior.

Sweet. I'll probably streem the games as soon as this weekend because I am hyped about the third and final part of the trilogy. Great giveaways too!

SalvaPot

I got the first game for cheap (I think it was 5 bucks), cartridge only. It was an extremely enjoyable game, albeit I am still a bit confused by the ending. Hmm, I think I will play it again. To clarify, I got
all the endings, the true one is the one that confuses me the most.

Also, a cool factoid: A group of rabbits is called a fluffle.

Soulflarz

Banned
Just beat 999 for the first time two weeks ago, currently on the first real puzzle in VLR on Vita. I wish the "scrolling the room" touch controls wasn't so sensitive or I could turn down the sensitivity. Have to rely on using the L and R buttons to navigate without spinning like crazy with just a flick.

I...don't think this issue stays. Though will just check with you on steam to see what you mean >_>

I was just thinking about replaying 999 less than an hour ago so this thread came at the perfect time.

If you're just there for the story, iOS probably is the better choice due to the additional ending.
*This is for people replaying 999, as the first playthrough should be on DS for other reasons. Pointing this out in case someone sees my post and tries to go on iOS first.

SalvaPot

I...don't think this issue stays huge.

I mean if you're just there for the story, iOS probably is the better choice due to the additional ending.
*This is for people replaying 999, as the first playthrough should be on DS for other reasons.

...there is an additional ending for iOS?

Man, I'll have to check that on youtube.

So it's finally time to experience the iOS version of 999 after having played through the DS version twice already...
Well, okay then.

Also, and I want to make that very clear DON'T INCLUDE ME IN EITHER OF THE GIVEAWAYS!! Disregard that, I NEED that watch in my life!
I might still be dropping some random historical facts due to the nature of the game series, but I don't want to rob someone of these awesome prices (that I already own).

That being said, time to fire up 999 on my iPad!

And don't forget people:
This is a game...where you put your life on the line.

It's nothing to write home about. It's basically the
Knife
ending but wih a
Syringe
instead.

Soulflarz

Banned

Yes, it's so short that I could summarize it in two sentences.

<999 SPOILERS>
When Snake disappears Clover thinks you did it if you go through certain doors, causing her to inject you with soporil or whatever and then shoves you down the stairs. The stairs are obviously flooded, so yeah, you die in a bed of water a 5 year old could escape.
I haven't played iOS in forever though so minor things could be off.

Nachos

I'm replaying VLR right now after re-finishing the "essential" parts of 999 a few weeks ago, and man are the "donno"s just as jarring as I remember them being years ago. It doesn't help that 999 uses "dunno."

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm replaying VLR right now after re-finishing the "essential" parts of 999 a few weeks ago, and man are the "donno"s just as jarring as I remember them being years ago. It doesn't help that 999 uses "dunno," so it's not even consistent with itself.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/64442633

Gamefaqs aside, it probably won't be back, Ben Bateman doesn't work at Aksys anymore.

What are the other essential endings to 999? I just finished VLR a month ago, so I will most likely skip a replay of that since I just beat it for the first time recently.

Also, I don't need to be included in the giveaway either. Already own a physical copy of 999. Awesome though you are doing a giveaway. Good luck to those who enter!

Everything is essential.

daveo42

Banned
What are the other essential endings to 999? I just finished VLR a month ago, so I will most likely skip a replay of that since I just beat it for the first time recently.

Also, I don't need to be included in the 999 giveaway either. Already own a physical copy of 999. Awesome though you are doing a giveaway. Good luck to those who enter!

Edit: NM

Feep

Banned
Wahoo! #excite

If you haven't played these games yet, what's wrong with you? There's a reason 999 and VLR have the most LTTP threads in GAF history, by like a factor of three.

PranooY

Nice thread. I was thinking of replaying the series before ZTD too. Super hyped for ZTD, but I feel like I've forgot some details. So I think I'll replay for sure.

Meia

In preparation, I'm finally playing through it over at a friend's house(enjoyed 999, but never went through VLR). Been doing this once a week for the last few months, finally getting down to the end of it(just finished the
Luna ending and saved Akane)
, so he eagerly awaits the conclusion whenever I go over there again.

Even knowing everything that happens in it, all of the emotional punches are still there(though I hadn't played through it again since it first came out, so it's been awhile). Also good since I didn't earn the trophies for it the first time through somehow so he's enjoying how relevant a lot of the trophy names are.

Ha, such perfect timing, I've been playing through 999 for the first time ever for the past month in order to get up to speed on the series, and I'm just about to reach the true ending. Nice! It seriously is such an awesome game, I love it.

I got VLR during a sale, so I'll start playing that pretty soon too.

Don't worry about entering me in the giveaway. I feel like the game is better off going to a newcomer.

Steel

Banned
Wait. Zero escape 3 is actually coming out in the west before Japan?

I thought I'd have to wait longer. Huh.

Thud

Cool, I was thinking about replaying these games.

As for a historical fact:

The man we know as Fibonacci was actually named Leonardo Bonacci. Although he's famous for his sequence of rabbits, his major accomplishment is popularizing the Hindu-Arabic numerical system (0-9) for the west.

Numbers play an important role in these games, so keep that in mind while playing ;).

hughesta

Banned
been playing 999 for the first time over the past few days. Loving it so far, but it's so stressful. I'm constantly freaking out about getting the wrong ending. Never felt this way playing a game before, just a testament to how well it's written.

Velcro Fly

I am two bad endings in to 999.

Enjoying it so far but it is hard to get a read on characters I like or dislike.

Plan to put a lot more time into it this weekend so I might get close to finished.

I am using a guide only to get the correct paths for all the endings and nothing more.

Plan to play VLR after that

takoyaki

thanks for making the thread Dandy Crocodile!

The counter in the OP makes it even clearer that ZTD is right around the corner. I wanted to replay both games before ZTD comes out, but might have to settle for replaying one of them and reading a synopsis for the other one.

dat Game Decision before the Decision Game ;)

Soulflarz

Banned
I am two bad endings in to 999.

Enjoying it so far but it is hard to get a read on characters I like or dislike.

Plan to put a lot more time into it this weekend so I might get close to finished.

I am using a guide only to get the correct paths for all the endings and nothing more.

Plan to play VLR after that

Important-- for
sub, make sure you go through door 3. If you got sub otherwise, do it again through door 3 and fast forward through the old text- it's worth the new interactions

SalvaPot

Yes, it's so short that I could summarize it in two sentences.

<999 SPOILERS>
When Snake disappears Clover thinks you did it if you go through certain doors, causing her to inject you with soporil or whatever and then shoves you down the stairs. The stairs are obviously flooded, so yeah, you die in a bed of water a 5 year old could escape.
I haven't played iOS in forever though so minor things could be off.

Sounds kind of dumb, I guess I didn't miss anything.

There will almost certainly be a sale for VLR on PSN some time in the next couple of months.

The question is, will it come in time for people to play it all the way through before the new game comes out...

RedToad64

These games are so good. I'm super hyped for Zero Time Dilemma!

I won't be replaying them since I just did so late last year. So have fun everyone!

daveo42

Banned
Well poo. Either a guy at work still has my copy of 999 and I never got it back from him or it's lost somewhere in a pile of stuff. Oh well, I guess I'll find out relatively soon if I'll need to rebuy 999 not. It's cheap, but I'd rather not if I know I already have a copy floating around.

In my attempt to replay 999, I've only just now remembered that I lost my copy ages ago so I'm going to go with the iOS version.

As for my fact: The word hundred was derived from the Norse word hundrath, which actually means 120 rather than 100.

Isotope

I would give up anything to play 999 and VLR for the first time again, especially 999. For anyone playing these for the first time, you're in for such a treat.

So gaf finally going to buy these games. Which version of of VLR?
3DS is better for puzzles and notes, while Vita has the obvious advantage in graphics and sound quality. It's basically a tradeoff either way, but I do remember the 3DS version having some pretty huge bugs that I don't think they fixed.

Weetrick

Awesome thread! I just got a copy of 999 today. After finishing Danganronpa 2, I wanted another visual novel and decided to give this series a shot. With the excitement surrounding the new game, it seemed like the right time.

So far, I've escaped the first room and I'm enjoying it. One thing is super annoying though: Is there any way to make this text scroll faster? It's mind-numbing.

Isotope

Awesome thread! I just got a copy of 999 today. After finishing Danganronpa 2, I wanted another visual novel and decided to give this series a shot. With the excitement surrounding the new game, it seemed like the right time.

So far, I've escaped the first room and I'm enjoying it. One thing is super annoying though: Is there any way to make this text scroll faster? It's mind-numbing.

Through subsequent playthroughs, text you've seen before will be able to be scrolled through MUCH faster. Text you haven't seen before can't be scrolled through quickly.

Soulflarz

Banned

Vita, no questions asked.
Slightly harder to do the puzzles, vastly superior graphics and sound.

Add to this the fact that the 3ds version crashes often and can wipe your save (with a patch to disable that in some areas) and it's no contest.

septicore

Probably gonna start my replay of both 999 and VLR sometime in May, so little time and so many games to play.

For those who own a homebrewed 3DS console and plan to replay VLR in the near future, there's a neat homebrew tool that might help you if ever encounter that dangerous bug. Basically, it creates a backup save file each time you use it to launch VLR on your 3DS.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/virtues-last-reward-safe-launcher.423457/

I plan to use it when I replay VLR or just use the sleep function on my 3DS.

PlatStrat

Neo Member

Go with the Vita version if you can. It works with the Vita TV and has better graphics and sound quality. The 3DS version has save corrupting bugs if you save in a puzzle area and really the only tradeoff is you can use the bottom screen for notes. You can do the same in the Vita version though if you get a touch capacitive stylus or just use handwritten notes.

Top Bottom