• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Why I don't have the stomach for 'Battlefield 1'

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Battlefield is a tentpole AAA gaming franchise that has made its name by thrusting players into some of the world's most brutal and deadly combat zones. So while it was a little surprising to learn that Battlefield 1 would be set in World War I (few historical combat games have tackled this particular conflict), it's still in keeping with the series' history. In a more general sense, plenty of movies, games and books use war as a backdrop for storytelling, and plenty of those stories are quite violent.

So why did the violence on display in Battlefield 1's trailer bother me so much?

It's something I've been thinking about since I saw the game unveiled at an EA/Dice event last Friday. I play plenty of violent games myself, and while graphic executions occasionally make me cringe, I'm not going to say no to taking control of Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 and gunning down hordes of attacking mercenaries.

But apparently I find it easier to look the other way at the atrocities my character is committing when it's in a made-up universe or when I'm slicing up orcs in fantasy games. Real, up-close-and-personal, human-on-human violence -- like crushing a soldier's head with a mace -- is a bit much for me. Particularly when the conflict in question remains one of the most deadly of all time, with 8.5 million dead combatants and 7 million civilian casualties. Not to mention, the events of WWI contributed to the rise of Nazi Germany and, by extension, the massive losses of World War II. It also helped shape a decades-long isolationist policy here in the US, something that kept America out of WWII until the Pearl Harbor attack.

More

Anyone agrees? I kinda see his point. Who were the bad guys in WW1? WW2 I am sure no one would have problem killing Nazi.

Fine stance to take. Seems strange to be vocal about it now though. I guess Battlefield 1 is the current clicks and hits hotness.

BobTheSpy

Banned
In real life there are no "bad guys." Look, I know what Nazi Germany and Hitler did was horrible - genocide and starting a war that lead to the deaths of tens of millions. But the average German soldier you're shooting in WWII games isn't a "nazi" - he's likely some kid, who grew up in Germany and had friends, crushes, lovers, parents, hopes and dreams. Sure, he was on the wrong side - but from his perspective, his country (that he had lived in all of his life) called on him to serve, and he did. Now maybe that's not the "moral" choice to make, but don't forget that the allies committed plenty of atrocities too.

TL;DR: WWII games aren't any better than WWI in this regard.

Scipio

As if every German soldier in WW2 was a member of the SS or were the incarnation of pure evil.

And WW1 didn't have a good or a bad side. Both parties mutually agreed to wage war, and you could even say that Austria was the first provoked. Ultimately, nobody won that war.

But really, it's a game. And it's not as if Battlefield 1 will be a realistic portrayal of WW1.

While yes, World War I was a grey conflict in comparison to World War II, there is no one alive today who fought in the war and barely anyone left who is old enough to remember it. World War I is such a glossed over subject, even if this game stimulates someone to get just some cursory knowledge of the war it will be a good thing.

And I have no problem with soldiers killing soldiers, because they are just that, soldiers. They knew the risks, they knew what they signed up to do. It isn't like you will be participating in the Armenian Genocide in the game.

I think WW1 is a complex war and I really hope DICE dont boil the story stuff down to "shoot shoot, bang bang, America saves the day".

Its kind of unexplored territory for games, especially AAA games so I hope they do try and do it right.

I want a WW1 game. Not a reskined WW2 game.

SMattera

And I have no problem with soldiers killing soldiers, because they are just that, soldiers. They knew the risks, they knew what they signed up to do. It isn't like you will be participating in the Armenian Genocide in the game.

You're not familiar with the concept of a military draft?

DSix

Banned
I found the modern desert warfare propaganda much much worse than any Hollywoodian interpretation of a long past conflict.

The real issue I would have with BF1 is if it goes into some heinous history revisionism to put America at the center of a conflict that was majorly fought and won by France.

rucury

Banned
I guess I can understand. I just find it hard to accept that some wars are somehow "worse" than others. They are all horrible. I wonder if a WW2 game being announced would have the same reaction. Somehow I doubt it.

Recently watched this video about the topic of World War I games and one the quotes was "how would something like Call of Duty or Battlefield really work with such a dark tone?" and it's quite interesting - historically the only games from the era are flight sims adventure games or strategy games, with only a few shooters none of which were substantial. You can watch it for better perspective if you fancy or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJatRwZA_JY

WW1 is a nasty war, but I only take issue with this article if it implies there was ever a "clear" motivation for killing and harming other human beings in any other setting or conflict.

WW1 is ultimately not a very black & white conflict, but ultimately wars ain't about "good guys" and "bad guys", they're about winners and losers, period.

E-flux

Perfectly understandable way of looking at it, though it might be a bit too early to say that.
I'm going to have a problem if they are going market the game as an "authentic" ww1 shooter while the actual game is a zany battlefield game with over the top stuff in it. Because at that point i'm sure that some people are going to think that the game somehow reflects reality and the image they get about ww1 is going to be extremely warped. But that is yet to come, maybe they will market the game properly and go so over the top that everybody can tell that this isn't telling about the real thing.

Boke1879

I guess I can understand. I just find it hard to accept that some wars are somehow "worse" than others. They are all horrible. I wonder if a WW2 game being announced would have the same reaction. Somehow I doubt it.

This is where I stand as well. But at least we are having a conversation about WWI. It's something that's legit glossed over a lot at least here in America.

WaterAstro

I'm on the side of "it's just a video game". And also the fact that depiction of the brutality and human condition of WW1 is actually BENEFICIAL for us learning about that war. You don't teach anything by censoring elements or ignoring it entirely.

I doubt the article writer even has a care in the World for WW1. We care more about WW2 and there has been millions of those games. Just really smells like controversy for clicks to me.

I feel the same way about this whole thing really. I've been leaning more and more in this direction as i've grown older. In these instances where death and violence and war are abstractions of actual historical death, violence and war, it's very hard to muster the will to participate unless the game goes to great lengths to diminish that feeling of acting this violence in a self serving way.

BeforeU

WW1 is a nasty war, but I only take issue with this article if it implies there was ever a "clear" motivation for killing and harming other human beings in any other setting or conflict.

WW1 is ultimately not a very black & white conflict, but ultimately wars ain't about "good guys" and "bad guys", they're about winners and losers, period.

You serious?

CHC

That doesn't change anything. In the US draft for the war at least you could get assigned to non-combat roles if you didn't want to fight.

Oh so everyone who was actually in combat wanted to be there?

Please

I don't really agree. Nobody feels guilty killing Asian soldiers in Pacific Warfare games. Nobody feels guilty killing Middle Eastern jihadists in Modern Warfare games.

All of these type of games blanket brush one side of the war and call them your "enemies".

Now because your enemy isn't so clearly defined in WW1, you have a conscious about playing video games.

You serious?

History is written by the winners after all. The definition of who the good guys are changes as a result.

I'm not saying we'd live in a better world if the outcomes were different, or would rather alternates, but that's what I believe, that no conflict was ever truly started or instigated for "the right reasons"

I see his point, and have a feeling others share similar difficulties with games such as this.

I personally still don't have the same feelings, however violence in VR might end up changing my perception just as the ability to graphically make violence look more realistic did.

SMattera

That doesn't change anything. In the US draft for the war at least you could get assigned to non-combat roles if you didn't want to fight.

Are you serious?

You could refuse to fight and get a non-combat role, sure, but most of those in the WW1 era were things like running out to gather the dead bodies in the trenches, and probably end up getting shot at yourself.

I really think you should do some reading on WW1 era conscription before you make such statements.

Paches

While yes, World War I was a grey conflict in comparison to World War II, there is no one alive today who fought in the war and barely anyone left who is old enough to remember it. World War I is such a glossed over subject, even if this game stimulates someone to get just some cursory knowledge of the war it will be a good thing.

Technically there are still a handful of people who are WW1 vets still alive:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_surviving_World_War_I_veterans_by_country

Also, the US had a military draft, tons of guys went over to fight without volunteering.

I look at this no different than any game that has ever been based on a war.

When done well they're extremely enjoyable. It's not about the the tragedy of this being real history or the implications or anything. To me it's an appreciation of the setting. I love old school guns and machinery. I love the locations. I don't think I'm going to be playing this game and rooting for a specific side or even paying much attention to that.

The soldiers to me are just vehicles that allow me to enjoy the vistas and awesome guns and whatnot.

E-flux

I thought this was being marketed as an alt-history game already?

Was it? I didn't watch the whole stream but i remember a part where the dude on the couch said something along the lines of "We wanted to show the unknown side of ww1" which rubbed me the wrong way after seeing the trailer. But if it's alt history then i have no problems with it.

I can understand someone feeling the way he does and won't chastise anyone for it, but it doesn't affect me personally. I'm able to completely detach myself from any real world implications when playing a game so that it doesn't bother me in the slightest. And I've lived through wars.

LostDonkey

WW2 has 16 million Military deaths and 45 million civilian deaths just on the allied side and we've had multiple movies, games etc based on that war.

Why now with WW1? Isn't this like the first AAA WW1 game to be released anyway?

I understand it. It's kinda perverse when you think about it how much of the fun we have in games comes from a source material of absolute tragedy. Why is violence the most universal game mechanic, and how can be justify ignoring the fact that we're, even at the tiniest level, glorifying awful conflict and horror and pain, by turning it into something fun?

It's something to think about. I'm certainly not gonna stop playing my shootbangs because of it, but I can completely see how in our increasingly self-aware society how some might feel uncomfortable in these things.

For the most part, doesn't that hold up? The motivation to go to war is rarely, "this bad thing is happening and we must intervene to put a stop to it!" Other lucrative interests have to come into play.

Do you really think the U.S. was a bunch of Steve Rogers types charging into battle for the greater good? No, we didn't commit the scale of atrocity that Nazi Germany did, but good and evil? We would have entered the war much sooner if it was about that. And we would have invaded a totally different slate of countries in the modern era if it was about that.

Yeah I would say thats true.

lame gag

Banned
It's those brave souls that gave us our freedom to play these games and have fun instead of actually killing each other. Thanks boys.

Interesting to know what the writer of this article actually thought of Valiant Hearts.

By the way, I actually understand his point. Butnas gamers you grew accustommed to things.

The first time I saw a FPS I was shocked at the violence. The first time I saw a FPS based I was even more shocked and questioned some ethical aspects of it.

But now it is so normal to play these kind of games. Strange actually.

True Fire

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

None of that stuff bothers me when playing Video Games. If I let it, I wouldn't play half the games I do. It's not real so therefore it doesn't bother me.

BeforeU

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I dont see how he can take issue with this and not more modern shooters. There are thousands of people who are still or were a few years ago, in the MIddle East fighting the war we've done countless times in the AAA landscape. WW1 is so far removed, I cant imagine how you cant have the stomach for it specifically. I suspect this is click bait, since BF1 is taking the internet by storm.

Aters

I believe most soldiers in WW1 are just ordinary people like you and me, so I have no problem playing as one of them. It is the games that you play as a true bad guy that bother me.

What's with people being so selective about THIS WAR and not that war or those wars or all the other wars
oh
clicks...
...doy
It's not the most unreasonable stance to have but why am I sitting here convinced we aren't going to be seeing very many repeats of this article next time a World of War 2 or Modern Shootbang game drops?

oti

Banned
I find it fascinating how this new Battlefield has brought up so many emotions and thoughts about WW1 that apparently no one had a need to talk about until a video game chose it as a setting. It's cool that video games have reached this point of being discussion worthy and discussion starters.

My opinion is, that using events from the past in entertainment is just part of culture. There are novels about WW1, movies about WW1 and now games. That some people don't want to play them is totally fine and understandable. You don't have to play WW1 if you don't want to. But saying EA/DICE are evil for using this conflict just doesn't make much sense to me.

5taquitos

Yeah, it's odd. When WW2 games were popular, there were plenty of people alive who were directly affected by the war, either as soldiers or civilians. WW1 started over a century ago, so it's hard to see how you could be totally OK paying WW2 games 10 years ago but turned off by a WW1 game now.

That is just Straight up false. Soldiers back then def. Didn't know what they signed up for, neither did the brass.
WWI had such a devastating Effect on soldiers and survivors that Warfare would never again be fought the same.

WWI was a meatgrinder and nothing else, with soldiers getting inadequate Training and a false idea about what they were about to embark on.

I expect BF1 to be the same Hollywood shlock about heroism and violence with some sprinkles of faux Horror of war vignettes on top. That's fine, as BF is an entertainment Franchise and the settings is just window Dressing just like every other time.

Top Bottom