• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Tempest TGS trailer

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Has this been confirmed to the US yet? If Namco doesn't bring it over, Nintendo better. I like the characters of FF3 better, but I like the environments better in Tales of the Tempest.

Bebpo

Banned
Characters look so bad. They should have never been 3d if they were going to look like that :\

Environments on the other hand look quite nice for the system. Maybe 2d sprites in 3d backgrounds like Xenogears would have been the most ideal?

Battle system sure wasn't the focus of the trailer and we've yet to real see if there's any meat to it. Hopefully it compares to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eO6nIP3tw

Symytry

HOT DAMN!

the game looks fantastic. Namco better get their asses in gear and give us the word on localization...if they haven't already?

Bebpo said:
Characters look so bad. They should have never been 3d if they were going to look like that :\

Environments on the other hand look quite nice for the system. Maybe 2d sprites in 3d backgrounds like Xenogears would have been the most ideal?
I agree, although the characters were really smoothly animated. But yeah, decently animated sprites would have been better.

I'm still picking this up otherwise.

If i wind up picking up a DS i'll be getting it, but it REALLY does look awful. Hopefully its not a gimmicky mess on top of looking like shit and having furries.

I doubt the characters would look any better in 2D. They'd still be the same assy character designs + skunk hair.

I hope Namco makes another Tales for the DS with 100000x better character designs and
the Abyss battle system

Ok holy shit I just saw the trailer... the in-game bits looked grainy as hell, but some of the environment bits with the blur (such as the church and the opening castle scene) honestly looked like something I'd see in a PSP game. They probably touched it up to all hell, but damn that looked nice. Music is nice too. That trailer also did some justice to the character designs I thought.

If they market this game properly it could sell VERY well...

ethelred

Bebpo said:

Battle system sure wasn't the focus of the trailer and we've yet to real see if there's any meat to it. Hopefully it compares to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eO6nIP3tw

That's what I would've liked to have seen, yeah. :/

The backgrounds are very nice -- world map, battles, and town backgrounds. Actually, the 3D character models look okay in towns and on the world map. But they REALLY should've gone with sprites in battles, because things just look awful there.

Other than that, the game looks very nice overall.

ethelred

Does anyone know who's doing the composing for this one? It sounds way more like Go Shiina than Motoi Sakuraba in this trailer, so I'm a bit curious.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Okay, this is a best a place if any to ask. I normally don't play RPGs at all. The exception to that would be the KH and Paper Mario series, and thats because of the battle system. The tales games do look fun, so, I guess i'm asking, are they more like a paper mario or KH, or what?

Oldschoolgamer said:
Okay, this is a best a place if any to ask. I normally don't play RPGs at all. The exception to that would be the KH and Paper Mario series, and thats because of the battle system. The tales games do look fun, so, I guess i'm asking, are they more like a paper mario or KH, or what?

They're basically like 3D fighting game RPG's (I've only played 1 2D one, but I thought it played like a 3D fighting game too, regardless of being... 2D). So I guess Kingdom Hearts?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Chris Michael said:
They're basically like 3D fighting game RPG's (I've only played 1 2D one, but I thought it played like a 3D fighting game too, regardless of being... 2D). So I guess Kingdom Hearts?

Cool. I'll have to try them then.

ethelred said:
Does anyone know who's doing the composing for this one? It sounds way more like Go Shiina than Motoi Sakuraba in this trailer, so I'm a bit curious.

There is, no way, that was Sakuraba. Could this game actually be composed by Shiina?? Like, OFMG!

On the other hand, I guess I'm in the minority here, but that trailer was pretty eh. The graphics look alright, but the character models look hoorrendous. And... while we may just not be seeing anything, the battle system looks pretty basic and bleh. And, random battles = =(

ethelred

FateBreaker said:
There is, no way, that was Sakuraba. Could this game actually be composed by Shiina?? Like, OFMG!

On the other hand, I guess I'm in the minority here, but that trailer was pretty eh. The graphics look alright, but the character models look hoorrendous. And... while we may just not be seeing anything, the battle system looks pretty basic and bleh. And, random battles = =(

Yeah, I think there was no way it's Sakuraba, and I'm pretty sure it WAS Shiina, but I was just trying to phrase that a little less absolutely. It definitely sounds like Shiina to me.

The battle system appears to be modeled after Rebirth's, which was a pretty nice and robust system... whether or not that depth and fun translates into Tempest, I guess we'll find out, but I certainly wouldn't write it off in that regard.

Top Bottom