• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to give titles more dev time, says Street Fighter V 'needed more polish'

Street Fighter V’s launch wobbles have led to a change in development strategy at Capcom.

Chairman and CEO Kenzo Tsujimoto has told investors that part of the reason why the company has forecast a dip in operating income is that “it’s best to spend a little more time in developing and running a high-quality title that will perform well globally”.

Specifically, this is due to what “what we learned from the past year of operations” and the launch of Street Fighter V.

“Some aspects of Street Fighter V needed more polish, such as the lack of content and server issues at launch,” Tsujimoto added. “Accordingly, we feel it’s better to give a little more time to development than before, and have made slight adjustments to our portfolio.

“Profits may take one or two years longer to stack up than initially expected, however we will be firmly strengthening our brands. That being said, even looking at Capcom’s growth exclusively, we expect at the very least growth in excess of ten per cent to continue.”

The game was plagued by severe connection problems at the time of launch, although it was the backlash about the lack of launch content in the game that caused more problems. Series boss Yoshinori Ono admitted that the company underestimated the importance of a strong single player mode – hence the decision to launch without one.

Street Fighter V has since February sold 1.4m copies worldwide. Capcom had estimated 2m unit sales by this point.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...s-street-fighter-v-needed-more-polish/0166795

This is the best news we could hope for from the weaker than expected Capcom 2m sales hopes

Should have been obvious by just looking at other recent games on the genre. But ok Cap...

Give me a bunch of free stuff please

Madness

Street Fighter V has since February sold 1.4m copies worldwide.

I remember some people here saying they would easily surpass SFIV sales and that they would have 2 million plus at launch night alone.

At least they learned from their mistake. Heres hoping the next game is for all consoles as well. I was playing Street Fighter before there even was a Sony or Microsoft in the games industry.

Considering it wasn't supposed to be done till 2018 initially and Sony said "Hey here is some cash, but put it out by Spring 2016, thanks." duh?

(I know that's not the way the whole deal went down of course.)

Then again it was Capcom wanting it out by February for Pro Tour reasons, so I dunno.

i'm happy with the content, but not happy with their server situation and online features. no proper ragequit penalties, some players showing impossible winstreaks and a couple weird bot accounts. online feels cheap at times. statistics? hah.

Glad they aren't stupid and realized it was their fault instead of going, "Welp I guess the market doesn't want our AAA fighting games or our AAA non resident evil games period. Cancel Devil may cry 5".

Warxard

Banned
What defines 'polish' in a video game these days?

Because the gameplay/mechanics is pretty polished already.

I really wonder if Overwatch will tace similar backlash for lack of a singleplayer mode outside of bots.

You know damn well the hype machine's gonna give Overwatch some incredible launch reception

Auctopus

I really wonder if Overwatch will tace similar backlash for lack of a singleplayer mode outside of bots.

Overwatch is a new IP and has never even suggested having a SP mode. It will receive negativity for not having one but it's a very different situation from SF removing theirs.

LiK

What defines 'polish' in a video game these days?

Because the gameplay/mechanics is pretty polished already.

You know damn well the hype machine's gonna give Overwatch some incredible launch reception

Working as intended without resorting to a ton of patches, imo

MiyamotoQuote.jpg

Take time to make something good, it comes out good, people buy it and don't crap all over it saying it needed more time. Genius.

Sesha

This is excellent news. Knowing this applies to all their major titles is great. Besides Street Fighter 5, after DMC4, DMC fans have been incredibly worried about the quality and amount of content DMC5 would have. This makes me super happy to hear. Project #DMCFeedback, let's go!

decades of game dev and they realize its best to give games polish

The thing is, for years they've been trying to cut down on dev time in order to reduce dev costs and get titles out faster. That's why they started outsourcing, and was the same reason they gave for giving up outsourcing after titles like DmC took over 4 years to come out.

No because it's a multiplayer shooter, marketed as a multiplayer shooter. People can complain about no campaign but, it's clear what they are making.

Home console versions of fighting games have had at least an arcade mode on release, forever. Can't think of a fighting game that doesn't have one but, SFV. Game plays fine though, it's the modes and netcode (in my opinion) that's shoddy.

L Thammy

Weren't they saying that they wanted less time between releases before Street Fighter V came out?

Glad they aren't stupid and realized it was their fault instead of going, "Welp I guess the market doesn't want our AAA fighting games or our AAA non resident evil games period. Cancel Devil may cry 5".

Now if only the rabid fans could accept that it's Capcom's own fault too.

Renekton

Seems to be different standards by genre: MOBAs and cartoony team shooters don't really come with substantial SP content, but fighters usually have an arcade mode with per-character ending.

Warxard

Banned
Right, and they're saying they know they made a mistake and intend to adjust their habits to avoid similar mistakes in the future. I can't complain about that.

You should. Because they did it before.

With Vanilla Marvel.
And X Tekken.
And Residen Evil 6.
And Lost Planet 2.
Even Dragon's Dogma had launch issues.

ps3ud0

Man it scares me when common sense is delivered as business strategy - obviously its normally far more nuanced but in SF5s case it was the punch in the face waiting to happen...

ps3ud0 8)

With Vanilla Marvel.
And X Tekken.
And Residen Evil 6.
And Lost Planet 2.
DMC 4 shipped 50% done basically, shit is Brazy.
Man it scares me when common sense is delivered as business strategy - obviously its normally far more nuanced but in SF5s case it was the punch in the face waiting to happen...

ps3ud0 8)

With Vanilla Marvel.
And X Tekken.
And Residen Evil 6.
And Lost Planet 2.

L Thammy

The thing is, for years they've been trying to cut down on dev time in order to reduce dev costs and get titles out faster. That's why they started outsourcing, and was the same reason they gave for giving up outsourcing after titles like DmC took over 4 years to come out.

Was that why? I always thought there were multiple reasons for the outsourcing - like Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma taking up stupid amounts of development resources that could have gone towards other, less risky games.

farisr

They should change the season pass so it includes 6 chars, 6 premium costumes, and 6 stages (or less depending on how many they actually have planned)

Swarna

There were a bunch of different avenues they could have gone with for SF5 like early access, digital-only etc.

Also, fix the one-sided rollback.

Sesha

Was that why? I always thought there were multiple reasons for the outsourcing - like Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma taking up stupid amounts of development resources that could have gone towards other, less risky games.

There were other reasons as well, yes. But cutting down on dev time was a major reason.

Warxard

Banned
Same here. SFV is fun but it's great Capcom learned why it has problems.

Capcom learning from things?

lmao. I love Capcom. But last gen and now this gen they are no stranger to doing some fuckshit and going "oh we'll do better next time brehs".

This is Capcom. They will continue to do this and you silly ass gamers will eat that shit up why? "I mean...they made God Hand tho"

Basically the Michael Jackson thought process. Highlighting the incredible shit done to mask the fact that this aspect is a fuck up.

I have a feeling Sony pushed the release date to be in Feb, which happened with The Order 1887 as well.
At least Capcom realizes that it is better to release a game complete than in pieces.

Sesha

DMC 4 shipped 50% done basically, shit is Brazy.

DMC4 suffered from many of the same problems as other early HD titles, mostly. DMC4 was the DMC team's first HD title, and the second or third title using MT Framework. They underestimated how complex and time-consuming HD development was compared to earlier gens. The Cell prosessor was another hindrance as well. Furthermore, the 360 port wasn't planned initially. Although developing for 360 was easier than PS3, including the 360 port increased their workload by 50% according to Kobayashi.

Not only that, but the DMC team was getting tired of working on DMC, having worked on DMC2, DMC3, DMC3SE, then 4, in rapid succesion. Some of them felt they had spent all their ideas on DMC3. This is from interviews with Itsuno and other DMC4 team members in the 3142 art book.

DMC4 had a lot going against it.

Capcom doesn't owe those people shit.

They don't. But it makes for good PR, which is something they really need with SF5 now.

Renekton

No. They always have excuses. Always. They don't learn shit.
Capcom learning from things?

lmao. I love Capcom. But last gen and now this gen they are no stranger to doing some fuckshit and going "oh we'll do better next time brehs".

This is Capcom.
They do learn, they just arrive to... different conclusions than we do.

Megamans sold poorly - "Rockman is not commercially viable"
DD and RE6 bombed - "No more AAAs without money hats"
SF3 did badly in arcades - "Mainline Street Fighter is done"

Top Bottom