• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready At Dawn (The Order) making an OC VR game (full production) & a new IP (preprod)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
These two would presumably be their full project set given they're not that large.

Ready At Dawn said:
Lead Level Designer

Ready At Dawn is looking for talented and passionate developers to help us push the boundaries of gameplay, art and story-telling. We are in the pre-production phase of an exciting new AAA third-person action console title, based on a brand new original IP we are creating. In addition, we are also in full production on a cutting edge VR experience, in partnership with Oculus. Our team is growing, so come join one of the preeminent independent video-game developers in the world.
Source: http://www.readyatdawn.com/careers-list/lead-level-designer/

rdytoroll

I'm excited for it. I really liked The Order 1886, where they have shown that they can make cinematic games with an interesting setting. It just was lacking a bit in the gameplay department

I'm interested in their action title.

The Order was bogged down by old fashioned game design but there was something there underneath all of the clutter. They just have to zone in on it and cut at the unnecessary stuff.

chadskin

Sorry, what does OC mean in this context?

It's a VR game based on the popular 2000s teenage drama.

The%20OC%20-%20Ten%20Years%20Later.png

California, here we coooooome...

Well the order was gorgeous but dear Lord I think people were kind to say the gameplay was mediocre. Outside of the games like heavy rain it was one of the most restrictive games Ive played. Even when you were playing is the most standard shooting experience I've had in a while. I'm sure they can make an awesome looking vr game

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, interesting. Didn't think they'd work on AAA stuff after The Order. Man, if only that game was a commercial and critical hit. Maybe Sony would have wanted to buy them? The Order could have been the next Uncharted-like experience if only they didn't make such eye-rolling design decisions.

FelipeMGM

Hmm, interesting. Didn't think they'd work on AAA stuff after The Order. Man, if only that game was a commercial and critical hit. Maybe Sony would have wanted to buy them? The Order could have been the next Uncharted-like experience if only they didn't make such eye-rolling design decisions.

I do think that if that game had delivered, Sony would at least make a multiple game deal with them again. Maybe even buy the studio.

Their track record prior to The Order was great

Also, this prob means The Order is dead, though it may live by under Santa Monica Studios wing.

Not sure why they'd revive an IP which was received so poorly commercially and critically and when the studio who really had the passion for it are not involved. You might as well ask for Primal 2.

I'm interested in their action title.

The Order was bogged down by old fashioned game design but there was something there underneath all of the clutter. They just have to zone in on it and cut at the unnecessary stuff.
I wouldn't call the game design old fashioned, it's more outdated than anything, we're in the age of Uncharted 4 gameplay on PS4 and RAD is stuck on killswitch and obsessing over qte fests. The game is pretty but the game design sucked shit with no imagination whatsoever.

RADatdawn doesn't own The Order ip though, a sequel could happen without them I imagine lol.

Don't know why Sony would let another developer do it. The gameplay was really lacking but the presentation was insanely good and I don't think anyone else except maybe Naughty Dog or Santa Monica could come close to it.

And a third something we'll hear about soon.

Oh shit. I imagine it'll be revealed at Sony's press conference as even though they're going 3rd party Sony still treated them well with The Order: 1886.

I wouldn't call the game design old fashioned, it's more outdated than anything, we're in the age of Uncharted 4 gameplay on PS4 and RAD is stuck on killswitch and obsessing over qte fests. The game is pretty but the game design sucked shit with no imagination whatsoever.

Uncharted 4 does so many of the same things The Order was excoriated over, it's not even funny. Forced walking, object examination, even the boss fight duels... Only a lot of people had decided to look down their noses at The Order before it ever came out.

Uncharted 4 does so many of the same things The Order was excoriated over, it's not even funny. Forced walking, object examination, even the boss fight duels... Only a lot of people had decided to look down their noses at The Order before it ever came out.

It does a lot of the same things in the same way Uwe Boll does a lot of the same things as Stephen Spielberg

Uncharted 4 has platforming, dynamic stealth and vertical gameplay integrated into combat, the order didn't. Uncharted 4 has great controls, the order had shit controls, you can't even roll at will in the order, those two games are basically night and day in quality.

The order got most of the flak after it came out, because it was so goddam fucking disappointing.

Uncharted 4 has platforming and dynamic stealth integrated into combat, the order didn't. Uncharted 4 has great controls, the order had shit controls.

The order got most of the flak after it came out, because it was so goddam fucking disappointing.

If you think most of the flak came after release you must not have read a single preview thread here because they were full of people condemning the game and lambasting the devs over statements regarding the cinematic aesthetic the game employs. You must not have played the game, either because the suggestion that it controls poorly is laughable.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you think most of the flak came after release you must not have read a single preview thread here because they were full of people condemning the game and lambasting the devs over statements regarding the cinematic aesthetic the game employs. You must not have played the game, either because the suggestion that it controls poorly is laughable.

It doesn't control great outside of combat. The shooting mechanics are fine, good even, but everything surrounding that, not so much or are we forgetting the awkward QuickTime events or the cut and paste boss battles.

kyser73

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bait post, right? I mean seriously?

I really enjoyed playing The Order, but it isn't even in the same galaxy in game terms compared with UC4 on every level except presentation.

Yes, UC4 does some of the same things, but it does them sooooo much better.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bait post, right? I mean seriously?

I really enjoyed playing The Order, but it isn't even in the same galaxy in game terms compared with UC4 on every level except presentation.

Yes, UC4 does some of the same things, but it does them sooooo much better.

I've not claimed they are of equivalent quality. Uncharted is obviously a grander, more dynamic game. But little compares well to Naughty Dog's peak achievement. I just find it ironic that elements used to build a case against Ready at Dawn are apparently totally fine in Uncharted. It's almost as if the case against The Order was built on top a pile prejudicial crap.

I'm excited for it. I really liked The Order 1886, where they have shown that they can make cinematic games with an interesting setting. It just was lacking a bit in the gameplay department

Gameplay is kind of a nasty thing to dog in the context of a video game. A bad story is forgivable. Bad gameplay is not.

I've not claimed they are of equivalent quality. Uncharted is obviously a grander, more dynamic game. But little compares well to Naughty Dog's peak achievement. I just find it ironic that elements used to build a case against Ready at Dawn are apparently totally fine in Uncharted. It's almost as if the case against The Order was built on top a pile prejudicial crap.

Or as if execution is important.

Dude, I enjoyed the order for what it was... But dude.... Let's call a spade a spade and agree despite its visual design, there was a lot, A LOT that needed a do over in the gameplay department

Top Bottom