• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

SalvaPot

Taking this from the Nintendo Movies thread because I think it deserves its own thread. You can read more from the full interview if you follow the quote below.

Sorry for the delay. I'm actually not sure what the policy is on GAF for full interview translations, but it's worth noting this isn't behind a paywall, just a registration wall:

Also: I am not a professional translator. If you see a mistake, call it out.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...view-with-tatsumi-kimishima-movies-mobile-nx/
Interviewer: It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.
Kimishima: I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U.

This is the original source btw:

Comes from an interview with Kimishima in today's Asahi Shinbun

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASJ4Z0R76J4YPLFA002.html

What exactly could this mean for the NX? Are we looking at a "Third Pillar" similar to when the DS first came out, whose success was so give it ended up replacing the GameBoy? Or is this just PR speak for "We can't reveal nothing else at the moment."

Mediking

Just what is going on here...? Is President K just be clever or something with his words? I love my Wii U and 3DS but I want some new and awesome hardware from Nintendo (handheld AND console). NX hype is real.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I won't give two shits until you reveal the damn thing.

RETURN OF THE THIRD PILLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I'm really tired of hearing this shit just reveal some info on the thing already. It is well past 'hype' building, now it's just annoying.

watershed

Banned
The NX won't have an effect on the Wii U.

That's why w'e're only producing 800k consoles this FY.

Okay.
Did you get that from this interview because that's not what he said at all. He admitted that the WiiU is done and that he hopes the NX will make up the profit lost there and predicts that 3ds sales will be less affected than the WiiU by the NX.

L Thammy

Finally, the true successor to the Virtual Boy!

But yeah, Kimishima isn't even really denying that it's a replacement for the Wii U, only that it's not just that.

daTRUballin

So I'm still kind of confused about this whole Wii U/NX situation. Will NX still be considered an 8th gen console? So this will be the first time Nintendo (or any console manufacturer for that matter) releases more than one console during a generation? Or is it a 9th gen console releasing like 5-6 years before the successors to the PS4 and XBO (which would be kind of bizarre)?

If it's the former, then that's a very rare occurrence, isn't it?

If it's not a successor to Wii U, then why is there only like 2 games in the works for Wii U. It is a successor because they are both consoles and you're shifting all development from one console to the other

Epcott

Isn't NX more of a platform to be used on a portable and console? Not the actual consoles themselves, which means exactly what he says?

L Thammy

So I'm still kind of confused about this whole Wii U/NX situation. Will NX still be considered an 8th gen console? So this will be the first time Nintendo (or any console manufacturer for that matter) releases more than one console during a generation? Or is it a 9th gen console releasing like 5-6 years earlier before the successors to the PS4 and XBO (which would be kind of bizarre)?

If it's the former, then that's a very rare occurrence, isn't it?

Nintendo's going to skip the 8th gen and move right to 10th gen. That's how they're going to edge out the competition.

Dreamcast 2 yet lives.

Sega's infiltration of Nintendo has been a long 15 years but their plan has finally come to fruition

kswiston

"Not a successor to the Wii U, but remasters of all of those Wii U games you wanted (but not badly enough to buy a Wii U) will be available during the launch window!"

I don't think that messing around with the input method or branding keeps a product from being a successor to another product. All of Nintendo's dev teams are transitioning to NX Software. Wii U (and eventually 3DS) will stop being supported.

Neoxon

I think he means that the NX Platform won't be a simple follow-up to either system. Though the fact that he mentioned both does add fuel to the shared platform fire. But at the same time, Nintendo's Facebook post about the NX seemed pretty singular.

Also, wasn't this said during the financial briefing?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Damn, he said new way of playing games. So it does have a crazy control gimmick. :/

Before anyone says anything, I was expecting the focus of the gimmick to be more on the hardware setup than the controller this time. I guess I'm just a fool.

Doctre81

This has been said a bunch of times already. I think at this point it is safe to expect the NX to possible be what the OG DS was to handhelds.

it might have been said multiple times but people act like it with the rumored specs.

Though it raises questions on why they are dropping Wii U support. They could at least do a revision and make it cheaper

jonezer4

Yep. Sounds like "third pillar" to me, which basically means it will indeed supplant one if not both the Wii U and 3DS.

Hardly anyone here wants to even consider something new. The Iwata quote about it not being condensed into one form but allowing for more than the current two forms keeps getting dragged out, but the same people who repeatedly trot that out just brush off the idea the idea of debuting with a third form, or even the idea of a third form in general.

Top Bottom