• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux/Steam/Linux Games running on a PS4, requires fw 1.76

LewieP

Video

Very impressive proof of concept of Arch Linux installed on a PS4, which is then set to boot into Steam Big Picture Mode, and can successfully run Linux games (Bastion is used for demonstration purposes here).

This is currently only possible via an exploit in the PS4 firmware which was closed after version 1.76, but it's entirely plausible that similar exploits will be discovered for more recent firmwares.

Since the PS4 uses the x86 architecture, it's far closer to a modern desktop PC with a custom OS than any previous consoles. This means that once you get it running Linux, it is compatible with the large library of commercial video games available for x86 Linux, including a sizable chunk of the Steam library. It remains to be seen exactly how well games will perform once full hardware acceleration is achieved, and to what extent the CPU will be a limiting factor, but these early results are very promising in my view.

Not sure if it's currently something that would be worth giving up on PSN/PS store access for most users, but it's certainly something I'll be keeping my eye on.

Via wololo.net

LewieP

Wasn't that whole Linux thing done just to circumvent Brazilian laws regarding video game consoles?

I think they qualified for certain tax benefits in the EU, too.

But it was heavily restricted, it didn't have anything close to full hardware access.

Was still pretty neat.

I think it's worth mentioning that Wololo is aware of and mentioned a possible webkit exploit on current firmware that could lead to kernel access, but only time will truly tell.

LewieP

I think it's worth mentioning that Wololo is aware of and mentioned a possible webkit exploit on current firmware that could lead to kernel access, but only time will truly tell.

Aye, I was avoiding getting people's hopes up, because it wouldn't be the first time reports like that amounted to nothing.

LewieP

Why not use a PC instead? Why take so much pain. Some people have too much time.

Possibly I've missed it, but to the best of my knowledge there is no PC that has the small form factor, quality engineering and performance of a PS4 for the same price.

I'd also imagine that not many people will buy a PS4 specifically to do this, but it's a fun thing to try if you already have a PS4.

Certainly has the potentially to be a nice little emulation box.

Installing Linux doesn't prevent you from continuing to use it to play PS4 games.

Wasn't that whole Linux thing done just to circumvent Brazilian laws regarding video game consoles?

ps3 found application in the field of high performance computing. In order to write code for it it had to support linux, of course. To my knowledge a certain research group in Euorpe was the first to receive a batch of ps3s before they hit retail. They were used to do chromodynamics calculations, but i might be wrong

But it was heavily restricted, it didn't have anything close to full hardware access.

absolutely, but it must be noted that even the gimped down version of cell present in the ps3 hardware was enough to catch the interest of many research groups. at the time cell was truly perceived as the future of the high performance computing field. what undermined its usage was essentially the low bandwidth available to communicate with other cells, which makes sense considering that it was mainly conceived as a stand alone cpu for the ps3

thelastword

Banned
Just imagine how much more value PS4 would have if it had the open Linux capability that PS3 used to.
There were literally two people who used linux on PS3, so I very much doubt the exaggerated value and appeal that you imagine would exist with open linux support on the PS4.

There were literally two people who used linux on PS3, so I very much doubt the exaggerated value and appeal that you imagine would exist with open linux support on the PS4.

It's two different things. PS3 was using PowerPC so you were limited to things meant for PowerPC AND Linux. Which was ridiculously niche. But here, we're talking about Linux x86.

LewieP

absolutely, but it must be noted that even the gimped down version of cell present in the ps3 hardware was enough to catch the interest of many research groups. at the time cell was truly perceived as the future of the high performance computing field. what undermined its usage was essentially the low bandwidth available to communicate with other cells, which makes sense considering that it was mainly conceived as a stand alone cpu for the ps3

True enough. It didn't have the gaming potential that I think the PS4 has, but it was still pretty cool.

So if this kind of thing is possible, why aren't PC<-->PS4 ports much more common/easy than they are now?

(Or at minimum Linux<-->PS4 ports)

Orayn

So if this kind of thing is possible, why aren't PC<-->PS4 ports much more common/easy than they are now?

(Or at minimum Linux<-->PS4 ports)

I don't understand this post, PS4/PC ports are both common and relatively easy. The things that usually prevent them are exclusivity agreements and licensing issues, not porting difficulties.

Platy

I wonder how much power they have avaliable .... is linux installed with only OS control or with full control ?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just imagine how much more value PS4 would have if it had the open Linux capability that PS3 used to.

You mean the Linux on PS3 that couldn't even access the GPU until people blew open the hypervisor?

Top Bottom