• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ron Gilbert: "Disney, please sell me my Monkey Island and Mansion Mansion IP"

This would be a dream come true, but i don't see Disney letting anything go or Ron having enough to buy whatever price Disney would theoretically come up with.

Meanwhile at disney

post-64146-dr-evil-one-million-dollars-gi-xFYu.gif

TimmiT

Disney isn't out of the game industry, they just no longer develop games themselves. They still license out IP to game publishers.

bjork

I would be amazed if this actually happened. I bet they'd do it, but only for so much money that even a smash hit installment in one of both of these series wouldn't cover the cost.

Where is Ron Gilbert nowadays anyway? He left double fine in between the whole Broke Age thing right?
He was at Double Fine for The Cave which was kind of bad, and early planning meetings for Broken Age. He made a pirate themed iOS Match-3 game and had a Kickstarter with his Maniac Mansion partner Garry Winnick to make Thimbleweed Park

Didn't a remaster of Maniac Mansion just come out?

If nothing else, Disney has some number on the IP's value. Is it in Gilbert's price range? Who's to say?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Loved Mansion Mansion. My favorite part was microwaving a microwave.

Was it? I was planning to grab it on Wii U. Considering that, after Broken Age, I don't really expect Ron alone to make a game worthy of his LucasArts/Humongous titles, how's the game?

Give it a shot. I liked it and so do a few others, but it seems a bit divisive among adventure fans.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I thought the Cave was pretty good. Good little plot and characters, played well in multiplayer, replay value since it takes a few playthroughs to see everything, good sense of humour. I mean, it's not a point and click adventure, it's a role-based puzzle platformer like Lost Vikings. But given that, I liked it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Don't see them selling or him having the funds to buy, but is there a chance they could license it to him so he can work on sequels under their guidance?

herod

But wouldn't that overlap their POTC franchise? Seems incredibly unlikely notwithstanding their usual reticence.

Yes, Power Rangers. Probably others.

Edit: they also sold Digimon.

Huh, I didn't realize Disney had owned those IPs at one point.

Don't see them selling or him having the funds to buy, but is there a chance they could license it to him so he can work on sequels under their guidance?

On a Retronauts podcast, Gilbert said he's not interested in revisiting these series unless he owns and has full control over the IPs.

Probably? I mean, there are Grim Fandango and DoTT remasters, with Full Throttle one on the way. However, none other than Sony is heavily involved in allowing the devs to make these games, and they aren't sequels.

On a Retronauts podcast, Gilbert said he's not interested in revisiting these series unless he owns and has full control over the IPs.

Oh.

But wouldn't that overlap their POTC franchise? Seems incredibly unlikely notwithstanding their usual reticence.

IIRC, the first time Gilbert wanted to buy Monkey Island IP (right after the acquisition), one of his points was Disney having no need in two "stereotypical pirate" franchises, with POTC being far more widespread and successful.

Salsa

Gilbert really went from Grumpy Gamer to just Sad Developer in my eyes

I like him but man is he caught in the past

I dunno, Disney actually has a legit claim to Monkey Island beyond just IP rights. Monkey Island was based on the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disney World. Granted, it's an elaborate fan fiction of it that has now expanded into its own lore, but this is pretty heavily referenced in the first 2 games. I remember when Gilbert was making fun of the POTC movies for stealing his ideas and being sorta baffled by it.

Mansion Mansion would be a lot of fun though.

Top Bottom