• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giveaway: Futuridium EP Deluxe for Wii U (NA/EU/AUS)

maxcriden

Update: giveaway over, see post #31 for winners!

Futuridium EP Deluxe is a GAFer-made multiplat indie game!

630x.jpg

The game IMO is super hard to judge from a screen--so check out this trailer to see it in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQ7OT9LDtA

Think Star Fox meets Tron. Here's an excerpt from a favorable review of the PS4 version, over at Push Square:

With tight gameplay, sharp shooting, and a remarkable sense of style, Futuridium EP Deluxe is a delightful 3D shooter. While there are certainly moments of frustration to be had here – predominantly stemming from misjudged aiming – the gorgeous graphics and stellar soundtrack more than make up for any misgivings. Oh, and if you do decide to play it, be sure to use headphones.

I've got six digital copies of the game to give away, two for each of the regions specified. Be sure to specify your region!
I bet people will be eager to play it soon, so provided this thread gets some replies before then, I'll try to pick winners in a few days.

To enter, please tell me about a game *where you shoot things in space* that gripped you for hours and days and that you just could not stop playing. Feel free to interpret that as generally or specifically as you like! I want some deets about how it pulled you in and wouldn't let go. And just to keep the entries varied and interesting, you will get greater consideration if it's not an oft-discussed game. ☺

Please note: I don't have any affiliation with Mixed Bag. When I do giveaways, sometimes the copies are from me, and sometimes I've gotten them from the developer. I don't receive any compensation for this. I just like to give away games on GAF.

630x.jpg

--

P.S. For more from Mixed Bag, check out their Twitter: @MixedBagGames

(Oh, and if you want to buy the game right now instead, now that Nintendo has a good online store, here are NA and EU links to purchase)

foltzie1

Star Fox. Yeah it's oft discussed , but the original game was ahead of its time. I played it and its sequels over and over till I found all of the secrets.

It's placement in the Nintendo competition cartridge won me a Gameboy in Disney World during a completion.

Edit North America

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader.

Man, everything with this game was amazing--graphics, sound, everything. It was really the presentation that pulled me in. When I played it on my launch Gamecube, I got the the first taste of, 'oh damn...next gen is here!'

NA, btw.

NA here. Interestingly enough my story comes from a game I just played for the first time the other day. I stumbled upon a game called Vanark that no one hardly knows about. It's basically Star Fox style of gameplay for PS1. Featuring undersea battle, motor bike and dodging bolders, lave filled caves. It's been an absolute treasure to discover a game from the psx Era for the first time and totally be enthralled with it. Def check out some videos. While it doesn't look amazing, it plays well and def gives that same arcade/starfox/space harrier feels. It's a great game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Colony Wars.

From the James Earl Jones sound-a-like, to the flashy (for the time) effects, I was hooked. Wish we could get a sequel!

Region US

PtM

Banned
Damn, dat soundtrack. Too bad I missed the release sale.
Can't say there's been a space shooter that gripped me much. I played SF64, SotE and Rogue Squadron, and of those only Starfox lingers in my mind, likely because of its iterative nature (and I 100%'ed it).

Oh hey, I got one after all: Jet Force Gemini. :3
I'm a sucker for its soundtrack (Robin Beanland ftw!). Shooting bugs, collecting their heads, rescuing ewoks and blasting drone formations. One of your character choices was a dog with a gun on its back who later
became half amphibious tank
. In one level, you could get a bug costume and sneak into an enemy club and select from different tunes to be played. I remember that I played it through New Year until dawn. Those Floyd levels were the hardest part and I was always stuck on them for some time.
I'm EU.

Say, does the code come with the 3DS version? If not, I'd rather hold out for that one.

RobRSG

My account is a NA one. I have fond memories of Layer Section on Saturn. The game is shockingly amazing for its time, I think it has been realeased in 1993 in the arcades... I was 3 by the time, so I don't remember if I ever saw a cabinet. That lock-on system is amazing, you keep exploding things that pass under your spaceship before they are even a threat.
The upgrades for the standard shot are very nice too. You can find this game as Gallactic Attack on Saturn on other regions, and as Gunlock on the arcades. Great game.

i-Jest

Region: North America
Game: Starwars Battle Front Renegade Squadron

It was my first PSP game and I got it during a time I didn't have a lot of money to spend on games. I poured hours into it, completing the main campaign. The Space battles were my favorite part of the game. Shooting and evading enemy fire was fun. It felt like a dogfight but in space.

TheMoon

Something I didn't see mentioned: the game is cross-buy on the eShop. The New 3DS-exclusive version isn't out yet but once you have it on Wii U, you'll automatically have the N3DS version whenever it's out.

I've played a bit of the Wii U version and loved it. The soundtrack is amazing and the gameplay is addicting. You fly around and try to do these optimal runs through the stages. You fly essentially straight ahead with the ability to angle your trajectory a bit but the only way to turn is an almost-instant 180° turn that becomes part of your strategy to get time challenge medals and keep your combo chain going (the goal in regular levels is to shoot all blocks).

Star Fox. The original. I still think it's the best of the series, but that may be nostalgia talking. I played the game so many times as a kid, because it was THREE DEEE and it was amazing. Yeah the frame rate sucks and everything, but it's always going to be special to me. I'll never forget the first time I made it to that crazy out of the universe area and fought the slot machine.

Region is NA.

RedToad64

Looks really unique!

One game that grabbed my attention in particular years ago was REZ... which looks somewhat similar to the game shown here! The abstract visuals, techno soundtrack, and cool features like the four-player rumble stuff made it an incredibly solid on-rails shooter. Just be warned - it is not easy!
REZ was eventually followed up by the beautiful Child of Eden, which was equally as good.
I'd love to play a similar game on 3DS and Wii U!

-shadow-

Wow this game looks trippy as hell. Never heard of it, but man this looks awesome!

Also about the game I've played for way to long. I remember playing the original Star Fox (or Starwing as it's called here in Europe) for hours upon hours trying to get that damn slot machine to triple seven. I actually don't think after all these years ever managed to get the damn triple seven. I need to reconnect my SNES soon again to retry the slot machine seeing how Nintendo will never release it on the VC.

Edit: EU, I forgot completely!

maxcriden

Looks really unique!

One game that grabbed my attention in particular years ago was REZ... which looks somewhat similar to the game shown here! The abstract visuals, techno soundtrack, and cool features like the four-player rumble stuff made it an incredibly solid on-rails shooter. Just be warned - it is not easy!
REZ was eventually followed up by the beautiful Child of Eden, which was equally as good.
I'd love to play a similar game on 3DS and Wii U!

Hey, as a Rez fan--just in case this slipped by your radar--

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/rez-infinite-ps4/ ☺

region - NA

As a mecha fan and arcade shooter fan only one game covered that double itch(that was not an import).
Mobile suit gundam encounters in space for ps2 is my pick. A gem that had on rails and all range mode with lots to do and even a vs mode!
Honestly felt like a star fox in the universal century. Special mention to gundam ace pilot for GCN, that was mecha arcade/simulation done right too bad it never came out in NA.
Maybe namco bandai can make a sequel to encounters in space or something similar to ace pilot kind of tired of the breakers and warriors (gundam extreme vs is the greatest competitive game ever created though... *extreme bias)

This looks very colorful and up my alley also getting a light f-zero vibe and i love that.

Nosgotham

the most memorable game i can think of is Star Fox 64. I never played the original but for some reason i really really wanted SF64. on my 13th birthday my mom gave me my present, StarFox64 with the rumble pack. i was hooked from opening screen. The tight gameplay and score chasing kept me playing for months. I wound up gettng every medal in all dificulties but my fondest memory occurs in the second level.

There are a series of speed gates that you must fly through in quick succession and if you do, you activate some hyper speed mode where all the lights are blurring and the rumble pack is shaking furiously. it was so cool!

to this day Star Fox is one of my favorite franchises.

DizzyCrow

Iridium 3D for GBA

That fucking game, the only GBA game my brother beat before me, had memorized and could beat all levels except for the final boss, I've spent days playing the hole game just to fail, almost threw my GBA in the wall, finally beat that in a Saturday afternoon, never played since, don't want to have nightmares.

NA here

Camjo-Z

I think I used this answer in another giveaway thread many moons ago, but it's the only vaguely obscure space shooter I've ever really gotten into so I must once again give it up for G-DARIUS!!

tumblr_nywwticlla1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Now, I'm not that into shmups so I could be wrong, but I still think this game's core mechanic hasn't been beaten. Basically you go around blasting enemies with your lasers, but you also have these capture balls that you can throw at them. Pretty much any enemy in the game can be grabbed with one, and once captured they mosey on over to your side of the screen and fight for YOU! You can use them as extra firepower as they'll fire bullets in their own unique patterns at enemies, or you can use them as a bomb. You always want to hold onto one until you reach one of the massive undersea-themed bosses at the end of the levels though...

tumblr_nywwdvoxOo1r7sijxo1_500.gif

...because those bosses can use a giant beam attack that will instantly decimate your ship. But if you sacrifice your captured enemy, you too can unleash a laser of your own. What does this mean?

EPIC
SCREEN-FILLING
BEAM BATTLES

Also, this is one of the most stylish shmups you will ever see. The graphics have that perfect retro low-poly look to them that still hold up today, and it has a crazy good soundtrack that sounds like pretty much nothing else I've heard in a video game. I guarantee anyone who's played it will instantly remember the level clear song.

Meditation... Meditation.

tumblr_nywvupjPCg1r7sijxo1_500.gif

It's all got co-op too, so you can do it with a friend. This was easily the #1 PS1 game between me and my younger siblings back in the day (though I have no clue how it came into our possession in the first place as we certainly never bought it ourselves, and I can't imagine my Madden-playing older brothers or non-gamer parents ever picking it up of their own free will...). If you haven't played it, go out and rectify that immediately. You can get it on PS1, on PS2 through Taito Legends 2, and on PS3 through the Japanese PSN. I saw that a new Darius game came out on PS4 not too long ago, but I haven't played it so I don't know if it's as good as this one. According to Wikipedia it also has epic beam battles, so it can't be that bad.

Oh yeah, and my region is NA.

Diortem7

A shooter that has gripped me is Nano Assault on 3DS. This game is technically not a space shooter, but it is a spin off the Nanostray games on the DS, which I really enjoyed as well. Nano Assault is like Super Mario Galaxy meets a twin stick shooter, as the main stages take place on little planet-like cells that your ship moves around to defeat enemies. The graphics are great for the 3DS and the music is fantastic. I actually bought the soundtrack from the developers when they had a pay-what-you want deal. My favorite part of the game though, are the more Star Fox style boss missions where you fly on rails through cells. I would go back and replay those a lot. I even bought the game twice, once on the cartridge release and again on the eShop Nano Assault EX version.

Thanks for the giveaway OP. :)

[NA]

One game that caught my attention and was playing for some time was a PS1 game called Einhander.

The game, story-wise, deals with a war between the Earth and Moon colonies and you're a fighter pilot from the latter to investigate and the former. Of course, you also have to destroy everything. Most of the game takes place on Earth, but the final stages bring you to space.

eimhanderrt-041.png

I like the gameplay, as well as the mechanics that allow you to carry 1-3 weapons at once, depending on the ship model you select in the beginning. You can experiment with combinations and replace them after shooting down certain enemies, whether or not you lost your own along the way.

But what I loved most about this game which brought me back is the MUSIC. It's just so good! I still listen to it occasionally.

RiggyRob

Region EU/UK

I loved playing Geometry Wars back way back when in 2006/7 on Xbox 360:

GeometryWars.jpg

I honestly have no idea why I played it so much - must have been something to do with the flashing neon fireworks.

It was incredibly addictive, but it was also nice to just pop the Arcade Games disc it came on in and play a few quick sessions if I didn't feel like playing Gears of War or Assassin's Creed. Kind of relaxing in a way, even if trying to get the Pacifist achievement stressed me out no end.

Region is NA, and my game is Nano Assault EX.

The game is a rare breed these days. It just throws you into the action and lets you die figuring things out. Admittedly, it's nowhere near as difficult as Star Fox (which is an obvious inspiration), but it balances a reasonable level of difficulty. The gameplay was what drew me in. You fly around on Mario Galaxy-esque "planets" and shoot in all four directions with respect to your craft all while slowly dodging incoming projectiles and kamikaze enemies. The boss battles really pour on the Star Fox charm as well with excellent on-rails segments. Ive never been big on twin-stick shooters, but Nano Assault is something altogether different.

maxcriden

Sorry for the delay! Here are winners and I'll send out codes.

NA:

NA here. Interestingly enough my story comes from a game I just played for the first time the other day. I stumbled upon a game called Vanark that no one hardly knows about. It's basically Star Fox style of gameplay for PS1. Featuring undersea battle, motor bike and dodging bolders, lave filled caves. It's been an absolute treasure to discover a game from the psx Era for the first time and totally be enthralled with it. Def check out some videos. While it doesn't look amazing, it plays well and def gives that same arcade/starfox/space harrier feels. It's a great game.

I think I used this answer in another giveaway thread many moons ago, but it's the only vaguely obscure space shooter I've ever really gotten into so I must once again give it up for G-DARIUS!!

tumblr_nywwticlla1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Now, I'm not that into shmups so I could be wrong, but I still think this game's core mechanic hasn't been beaten. Basically you go around blasting enemies with your lasers, but you also have these capture balls that you can throw at them. Pretty much any enemy in the game can be grabbed with one, and once captured they mosey on over to your side of the screen and fight for YOU! You can use them as extra firepower as they'll fire bullets in their own unique patterns at enemies, or you can use them as a bomb. You always want to hold onto one until you reach one of the massive undersea-themed bosses at the end of the levels though...

tumblr_nywwdvoxOo1r7sijxo1_500.gif

...because those bosses can use a giant beam attack that will instantly decimate your ship. But if you sacrifice your captured enemy, you too can unleash a laser of your own. What does this mean?

EPIC
SCREEN-FILLING
BEAM BATTLES

Also, this is one of the most stylish shmups you will ever see. The graphics have that perfect retro low-poly look to them that still hold up today, and it has a crazy good soundtrack that sounds like pretty much nothing else I've heard in a video game. I guarantee anyone who's played it will instantly remember the level clear song.

Meditation... Meditation.

tumblr_nywvupjPCg1r7sijxo1_500.gif

It's all got co-op too, so you can do it with a friend. This was easily the #1 PS1 game between me and my younger siblings back in the day (though I have no clue how it came into our possession in the first place as we certainly never bought it ourselves, and I can't imagine my Madden-playing older brothers or non-gamer parents ever picking it up of their own free will...). If you haven't played it, go out and rectify that immediately. You can get it on PS1, on PS2 through Taito Legends 2, and on PS3 through the Japanese PSN. I saw that a new Darius game came out on PS4 not too long ago, but I haven't played it so I don't know if it's as good as this one. According to Wikipedia it also has epic beam battles, so it can't be that bad.

Oh yeah, and my region is NA.

EU:

Wow this game looks trippy as hell. Never heard of it, but man this looks awesome!

Also about the game I've played for way to long. I remember playing the original Star Fox (or Starwing as it's called here in Europe) for hours upon hours trying to get that damn slot machine to triple seven. I actually don't think after all these years ever managed to get the damn triple seven. I need to reconnect my SNES soon again to retry the slot machine seeing how Nintendo will never release it on the VC.

Edit: EU, I forgot completely!

Region EU/UK

I loved playing Geometry Wars back way back when in 2006/7 on Xbox 360:

GeometryWars.jpg

I honestly have no idea why I played it so much - must have been something to do with the flashing neon fireworks.

It was incredibly addictive, but it was also nice to just pop the Arcade Games disc it came on in and play a few quick sessions if I didn't feel like playing Gears of War or Assassin's Creed. Kind of relaxing in a way, even if trying to get the Pacifist achievement stressed me out no end.

Um...nobody entered from AUS, unless I missed it!

RiggyRob

Ah, a win by default - the best kind of win.

Cheers Max, I'll probably get around to playing it and giving impressions next week as I've got E3 week off work!

gabbo

NA region here.
Space Rangers 2 is a game I read about in PCGamer that extolled it's weirdness, and boy was it correct. I mean, flying around space shooting things asll turn-based is just one of the myriad of things to do in it (and my initial ship sucked, so I died quite often and would avoid combat where I could). I think it was playing cards with a secretary all done through text adventure that I was required to play in order to sneak into a specific planets government facility to get some kind of form that sold me on the game.

I was going to be a space pirate/space marine type in something resembling a schmup and strategy game when it came to space flight, but I also got to goof around in RTS building up bots armies or playing cards with a secretary as a means of gaining access to better parts/gear/cargo/missions. I never did defeat the Dominators (and i won't reinstall the disc version i got because of Starforce, and havent bought A War Apart yet), but I can recall just existing in the weird universe as a lowly pirate selling scrap and fighting when I had to to survive for nights on end not a care in the world as the game more or less told me the Dominators were winning and the universe was fucked.

I mean, I did play again and actually try, but it was a completely different game to actually play as a marine where my ship could fight and I was capable of living up to my own glory.
https://youtu.be/I85PGB7gXrs

Vandole

Galaga

Galaga.png

When it comes to space shooters, there's no school like the old school. It may not be fancy and it may not be pretty, but even 35 years after its release I can still play this for long stretches at a time, trying to get just a couple hundred extra points added to my score. Galaga is just one of those classic arcade games that has a good simple idea and control scheme and doesn't need more than that to enjoy it.

Anyway looks like a fun game. Thanks for doing this, and if I'm in contention... NA.

NA region.

My answer is Dead Space, and it didn't really hook me because it's a good game (which it is). I actually got hooked for two reasons:

1. The instruction manual calls the foot stomp move "curb stomp."
2. There's a trophy for only ever using one gun for the entire game.

So, given those two constraints, the horror aspect was completely out the window for me (since things you can curb stomp are not scary), and the game became more of a "how do I curb stomp everything" puzzle.

Top Bottom