• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD Preview (expect sales to be up 20%) - 360 expected to OWN November/December

HW Prediction thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122515

Essentially, Pacther expects the 360 installed base to double November / December, with sales of 2.25M - 3M units or more

Feel free to add software thoughts here. Saints Row, Madden, Lego SW, Pokemon, Mario vs Donkey Kong, NBA Live should all have great months.

September 2006 Video Game Sales Preview: Expect 20% Sales Growth

We expect September U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after market close on Thursday, October 12. We forecast sales of $415 million, up 19.6% compared to last year.

Though share prices for most publishers have increased over the last two months, we expect some volatility should the console transition experience any hiccups. We expect continued share appreciation over the remainder of the year due to relatively easy monthly sales comparisons, with some volatility around the launch of the PS3 and Wii in November.

Our estimate reflects $168 million in sales contribution from new platforms (Xbox 360, PSP and DS), representing year-over-year growth of $130 million. We expect current generation software sales of $247 million, reflecting a decline of 20% compared to last year.

Sales growth over the last three months has averaged a robust 17%, and we expect double-digit salesgrowth to continue through November.

Given recent sell-through strength at retail, we now believe that modest declines in current generation software sales will be more than offset by contribution from next generation software sales. PS3 and Wii software sales are expected to contribute $432 million to overall sales growth for the year, and given that launch timing and quantities are getting clearer, we expect overall 2006 U.S. sales to be at least 4% higher than 2005 levels.

We recommend that investors accumulate Activision, Electronic Arts, and THQ shares at current levels.

For September, we expect the following:
o Activision - $21 million, down 34% compared to last year.
o Atari - $7 million, up 24% compared to last year.
o Electronic Arts - $110 million, up 8% compared to last year.
o Majesco - $3 million, up 80% compared to last year.
o Midway - $6 million, down 32% compared to last year.
o Take-Two - $18 million, up 29% compared to last year.
o THQ - $45 million, up 102% compared to last year.

We expect September sales to be driven by new releases THQ’s Saint’s Row (360), LucasArts’ Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (PS2, Xbox, PSP, DS, GBA, GC, 360, PC), Nintendo’s Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (DS, GBA) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 (DS), and Electronic Arts’ NBA Live 07 (PS2, Xbox, PC, PSP, 360) along with continued strong sales of Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 07. We note that 9 games sold over 100,000 units in August, and we expect 10 in September (compared to 7 last year).

It appears that the recent sales strength on current generation platforms is sustainable, given strong sell-through performance for three consecutive months. Consumers appear willing to purchase compelling content for current generation consoles in spite of the imminent launches of the PS3 and Wii, and have embraced software for the DS and PSP, driving monthly sales higher. Through August, NPD data shows that Xbox 360 hardware sales in the U.S. were 2.4 million units, and we expect monthly sales of 250,000 units in September. The Xbox 360 is now readily available, we expect Microsoft to sell approximately 400,000 hardware units in October, between 750,000 – 1 million units in November, and between 1.5 – 2 million units December. Sell through of Xbox 360 hardware could be higher if the supply situation for the PS3 falls well short of demand, with many holiday gift givers likely substituting purchases of the 360 in place of the PS3.

Some SW Expectations

We believe that Test Drive Unlimited sold 50,000 units its first month.

We believe that Madden led sales with 700,000 units sold in its second month, slightly higher than last year. We think that NBA Live sold over 200,000 units, and that NASCAR sold over 150,000 units. We do not believe that The Godfather sold well, and expect sales to total fewer than 50,000 units.

We believe new release NBA 2K7 sold 125,000 units, with more than half of those on the Xbox 360.

We believe sales were led by new release (released at the end of August, but first month of reporting) Saints’ Row selling 350,000 units.

Draft

Sell through of Xbox 360 hardware could be higher if the supply situation for the PS3 falls well short of demand, with many holiday gift givers likely substituting purchases of the 360 in place of the PS3.
but no one ever does that!

GhaleonEB

Through August, NPD data shows that Xbox 360 hardware sales in the U.S. were 2.4 million units, and we expect monthly sales of 250,000 units in September. The Xbox 360 is now readily available, we expect Microsoft to sell approximately 400,000 hardware units in October, between 750,000 – 1 million units in November, and between 1.5 – 2 million units December.
That's sounds overly aggressive to me. There's no seasonal factor that should cause the 360 weekly sales rate to double in October, and 1.5-2m in December is insane; IIRC (my sales data is at home) only the PS2 ever managed those levels. I don't see PS3 shortages being enough of a driver there. I think 250k in October, 500k in November and 1-1.2m in December is more likely.

MbGCaM

The Xbox 360 is now readily available, we expect Microsoft to sell approximately 400,000 hardware units in October, between 750,000 – 1 million units in November, and between 1.5 – 2 million units December

Do they smoke crack?

Mrbob

Expectations too high again. IF X360 does hit those numbers I would be impressed and give MS a chance to take the crown in NA. My expectations are:

October - 250,000
November - 450,000
December - 750,000

GhaleonEB said:
That's sounds overly aggressive to me. There's no seasonal factor that should cause the 360 weekly sales rate to double in October, and 1.5-2m in December is insane; IIRC (my sales data is at home) only the PS2 ever managed those levels. I don't see PS3 shortages being enough of a driver there. I think 250k in October, 500k in November and 1-1.2m in December is more likely.

I think they expect Gears of War to have a Halo effect. It probably will......

GhaleonEB

gamergirly said:
I think they expect Gears of War to have a Halo effect. It probably will......
Even Halo 2 didn't push XBox sales that high. I think it will drive hardware, but THAT high? The 360 sales have been lagging expectations all year, I just don't see Gears of War - which looks awesome and I think will sell a shitton - to do as much for the hardware as Pachter is predicting.

DenogginizerOS said:
Perhaps the rumored X360 price drop is real....

Well, seeing that so many of the websites are offering bundles/free games, it's obvious something is going on from Microsoft coroporate.

polg said:
isn't nintendo shipping 4M Wii for the same period?

Worldwide, yes.

I think the 360 numbers will be high, i know a lot of people were holding out for christmas, i think the holidays are when parents allow themselves to open up the wallet a bit more. We haven't seen consoles sold at this price before, so theres no historic data of whats going to happen, i expect the same thing with Playstation 3, lower sales throughout the year and huge christmas numbers. and i think Wii is just going to go bananas this christmas

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Mrbob said:
Expectations too high again. IF X360 does hit those numbers I would be impressed and give MS a chance to take the crown in NA. My expectations are:

October - 250,000
November - 450,000
December - 750,000
Your expectations are too low.
This is mine:
October - 250k
November - 600k
December - 1.2m

ToxicAdam

This analyst will either look like a genius or a total dipshit come January. I can't see any in between.

The most baffling prediction is 400k 360's in October. Aside from the month that stores got restocked, the 360 has shown no signs of approaching that mark.

starship

ToxicAdam said:
This analyst will either look like a genius or a total dipshit come January. I can't see any in between.

The most baffling prediction is 400k 360's in October. Aside from the month that stores got restocked, the 360 has shown no signs of approaching that mark.
And October is a 4 week month which means this prediction would be way off.

Not sure about X360 doubling it's US userbase in three months, but pretty close depending on how hot GoW is and, perhaps, some interesting info/happening before end of year. Wii and X360 will own the season, though. That's right. Wii60*, bitches.

*With some DS dominance in there, too.

All of a sudden they expect PS2 like performance from October on from X360 although it has now been nearly a year on the market and has never achieved PS2 like levels before.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
MbGCaM said:
Do they smoke crack?

why? that's completely reasonable

i'm thinking 1 million in november and 1.5 in december

that would put the NA total at over 5.5 million

anyone know the europe total and what you think europe will sell in november/december?

maybe that 10 million estimate wasn't a total pipe dream? probably like 9

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MightyHedgehog said:
Not sure about X360 doubling it's US userbase in three months, but pretty close depending on how hot GoW is and, perhaps, some interesting info/happening before end of year. Wii and X360 will own the season, though. That's right. Wii60*, bitches.

*With some DS dominance in there, too.
Don't forget PS2 and PSP.

threeball

Banned
I still think that Wii will beat out the 360 in the NPD charts during the holiday season.*

*the biggest reason being cost, given no pricing changes in the 360 price structure

starship

ORANGUTAN said:
why? that's completely reasonable

i'm thinking 1 million in november and 1.5 in december

that would put the NA total at over 5.5 million

anyone know the europe total and what you think europe will sell in november/december?

maybe that 10 million estimate wasn't a total pipe dream? probably like 9
:lol

Interesting, but Xbox360's sales for me will be not as high as analysis think. Very good, sure; but not over 1 million in December and over 600.000 in November.

Ranger X

Completely dismissing the Wii. That is the mistake. There's alot more people wanting a Wii and PS3 than they think. Just my feeling.

starship

Without a doubt, Wii will sell the best during November and December. This is a launch of a system with Zelda and its supply is more than enough to surpass X360 sales

yeah, it's a bit far fetched considering there are far more options vying for gaming dollars these days (i.e., DS/PSP/PS2, let alone the two new consoles). Although, didn't the original Xbox sell a million in one of the launch months?

But who knows...all sorts of other unlikely things have happened in "console wars" before.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Ranger X said:
Completely dismissing the Wii. That is the mistake. There's alot more people wanting a Wii and PS3 than they think. Just my feeling.

i just don't think the Wii is gonna be that hot in NA. in japan? fiya

but here in the states, there's little to no hype for it except on the internet

and as we all know Nintendo fans are the vocal majority on the net for some reason, and it rarely ever transcends into the real world with the same type of sales

jimbo

Banned
kia said:
And October is a 4 week month which means this prediction would be way off.

I never quite understood this. I can for car sales where Saturdays seem to be pretty big in terms of sales, so having 5 Saturdays in a month can boost your sales.....but as far as videogames....who cares if it's a 4 week or a 5 week? It's still either 30 days or 31 days. Unless Saturdays are just as big in your regular retail.

REV 09

GhaleonEB said:
Even Halo 2 didn't push XBox sales that high. I think it will drive hardware, but THAT high? The 360 sales have been lagging expectations all year, I just don't see Gears of War - which looks awesome and I think will sell a shitton - to do as much for the hardware as Pachter is predicting.
i think a price drop is the only thing that could even potentially push 360 sales up to those levels. And according to the Outpost.com thread, a price drop is definitely rumored now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The Abominable Snowman said:
do you all really count the PS3 out like that? That's all my friends talk about...
Aside from price who knows how much they will actually ship by the end of the year.

kia said:
Without a doubt, Wii will sell the best during November and December. This is a launch of a system with Zelda and its supply is more than enough to surpass X360 sales
we're talking about America though. I think most nowadays would not buy a new Nintendo system for just a Zelda game. I've not actually heard anyone talk about Wii except my brother.

Top Bottom