• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VICE hires Giant Bomb's Austin Walker for new gaming site

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/vice-austin-walker-giant-bomb-1201797909/

Vice Media has recruited Austin Walker, news editor at CBS Interactive’s Giant Bomb, to head up its forthcoming dedicated site on video-game news and culture.

Walker will start at Vice on July 5, working from the company’s Brooklyn headquarters. His first task: figuring out what he wants to do with the site, and what Vice is going to call it.

“I’ll be trying to determine what the voice of the site is and building a team,” Walker said in an interview. “There’s a certain style for the way Vice does things, when it comes to doing real investigation – we’re not just interested in products, we’re interested in people and culture. We’re interested in going a little bit deeper into a game or a game community.”

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/743851951226445824

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, this is pretty huge. Vice starting a dedicated games site is really fantastic too, not having it remain a side brand forever.

llexan

Oh wow! Bitter sweet to see him leave GB, but that sounds like a super awesome opportunity for him. Congrats, Austin!

strafer

nHL4bEW.gif

outwardly:
xxlds8a6iai47xyul3l3.png

inwardly:
59a70e057785de7b4e4fd4f39c48dd71.jpg

really though that's amazing; really enjoy VICE's output and Austin is a great match for their style/culture.

Kusagari

Yeah, cannot blame him at all for taking this opportunity.

This is huge, not just a lateral move like to a Polygon or Kotaku.

Not the biggest fan of Vice but thats a perfect fit for Austin, and as funny as he was at GBeast, he always seemed like he was going to do something bigger, and now he has. Good luck dude, but pls go to the beastcast sometimes as a friend of the site like Jeff B!

ryushe

Super bummed to hear that he's leaving the GB crew, but I'm even more happy that he's getting this opportunity.

Congrats and good luck, man!

Fantastic! Congrats Austin!

As much as I'll miss him as part of GB, it's great to see talented and smart people given the opportunity to build something new.

gdt

That's an awesome opportunity. And having Vice style articles and editorials and journalism covering the gaming world will be beyond excellent.

Crowbear

If Vice gives Austin the freedom and resources to build this site up properly it sounds like it's going to absolutely awesome. Really looking forward to seeing what they put out.

As much as it sucks to see Austin leave GB I'm really happy to see him going onto bigger things. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.

Well, it makes sense. Let's hope he builds it into something fantastic - I have no doubt he will though.

July 5th can't come soon enough!

Anno

Go Austin! Sounds like an amazing opportunity for him. Hopefully Vice gives him the freedom and resources to do real work.

Top Bottom