• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hironobu Sakaguchi planning a new company, considering name "Dawnwalker"

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/2...sidering-name-dawnwalker/#VzpKbyr6IzYLR3gu.99
via Nibel on Twitter

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi revealed during a recent Mistwalker broadcast that he’s planning on opening a new “development-type” company.

Not much was revealed about this new company, but Sakaguchi talked about how he’s considering calling it “Dawnwalker” and it’ll be located in Roppongi, Tokyo. He also added that they’re going to recruit a bunch of staff from here on, and exclaimed “we’re going to make it together!” during the broadcast.

I believe Mistwalker is based in Hawaii, so interesting to see he wants to move back to Tokyo.

mdzapeer

Getting bored of semi-retirement? Getting involved in FFXV, though even in a minor role, relighting that spark?

Curious as to why this will be a different company and not just another office of Mistwalker. I guess we don't know enough to speculate yet.

I'm guessing Mistwalker is just a production and planning company while Dawnwalker will be where the true development happens.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mistwalker was never more than a design studio, seems like he will set up an actual development studio now.

Cant knock his hustle.

Ban Puncher

kpamgGx.gif

0Wz8duf.gif

Guess his hip hop career didn't really take off.

KkI6ocy.gif

batbeg

So sad more people didn't get to experience this game.

Truly can stand it's own ground against most JRPGs, it was leaps and bounds better than the entire FFXIII trilogy.

To be fair some of my shits are also leaps and bounds better than the XIII trilogy.

He absence from the console RPG scene is very apparent. We need him back.

Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, New IP - I don't care what he makes, I just really want a grand new Sakaguchi RPG.

timberger

Truly can stand it's own ground against most JRPGs, it was leaps and bounds better than the entire FFXIII trilogy.

Outside of the Xbox exclusivity, I've never understood why this game gets such OTT praise. It's prettier than most JRPGs, sure(Even if the performance is garbage), but as a gameplay experience it is as bog standard as they come and the story is a complete mess.

The FFXIII games had a mountain of problems, but I enjoyed actually playing any of those a lot more than I did Lost Odyssey.

heringer

Eh. I enjoyed FFXIII more. Lost Odyssey was kind of boring and generic outside of the little novels (which were very well written, unlike the story itself).

I just hope Sakaguchi gets a stable and good environment to create great games.

Not all of his games are undisputed classics(True for even Kojima). Sakaguchi has been pretty unlucky though, I hope for a thriving future in his studio.

Not to be snarky, but the FF XIII trilogy sets the bar very low. I would like to get around to playing LO one of these days. What makes it superior?

Necron

I really enjoyed The Last Story because of its characters (and great voice work)... and I do yearn for something similar. I wish Sakaguchi the best of luck!

Oregano

I imagine finding development partners on a hame by game basis is less feasible nowadays. Especially for console games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Please make a sequel to the Last Story.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yes. Spiritual successor to the best Final Fantasy,
V
, confirmed.

I confirmed it, so Sakaguchi can't escape now. He has to do it.

- J - D -

Okay so when this happens again and he continues down this inevitable naming path, who's gonna be the one to break it to him that "Skywalker" is already taken?

Not it.

Not to be snarky, but the FF XIII trilogy sets the bar very low. I would like to get around to playing LO one of these days. What makes it superior?

The story is understandable, and pretty touching
The battle system is very much like FFX if you played that
The Soundtrack is absolutely amazing, Nobou Uematsu being a god as per usual.
Looked pretty good for it's time with pretty unique artstyle.

Seeing him on stage presenting FFXV pissed me of for some reason, I don't want him to go back to his abusive ex-wife.

You mean the abusive ex-wife that handed him a blank check & supplied him the means to fulfill a lifelong dream of making his own big budget, state-of-the-art film? That one? :p

Lebron

PhantomZhu covered most of it but I would also like to add that, "A Thousand Year of Dreams" are some of the best short stories seen in any game, honestly.

Byvar

I don't understand enough Japanese to be able to fully understand the stream, but he was noticeably drunk during the stream, so keep in mind that it might just be something that popped into his mind at that moment.

But it's probably real. And if so, this is pretty good news - it means that he actually wants to make more console games. He has enough staff at Mistwalker to work on mobile titles, but larger games require a larger amount of people and effort, which I guess Dawnwalker is for.

Faenix1

Lost odissey 2 go go.

I'd be down for a spiritual sequel, so that PS4 can get a version.

Assuming these folks are down for PS development - no interest in an Xbox this gen when I got a PC. (Don't think they got anything on a Sony platform, but don't quote me on that. lol)

Top Bottom