• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Significance of the NRA Not Issuing a Statement on Philando Castile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who don't know know about today's tragic news, Philando Castile was an American citizen who was killed for excersing his Second Amendment Right.

No one is expecting the NRA to go on a crusade of behath of this man. However they could have released a generic statement, to at the very least acknowledge his existence.

There are some that believe the NRA is an inherently racist institution.

Does their lack of acknowledgement of this tragedy, prove that the NRA is inherently racist or is this all just a giant misunderstanding?

studyguy

More interested in Matt Damon is seems.
nra-screengrab-damon-tweet_qrujzy.jpg

They know the deal, they don't care. Hell I'd wager they'd get blowback for coming to his aid from their base.

Patryn

They know a lot of their money comes from people with racist tendencies.

They've never been about gun rights, honestly. They've always been about money.

Media

I basically called out all of my 'the government is going to take your guns!' Misguided folks on facebook and posted about the killing. Only one of them shared it, the rest are still too focused on Hilary's emails. I guess gun rights only matter for some folks.

Them being silent about it would align with their history. Remember the NRA was okay with more gun control back when black people started to exercise their 2nd amendment right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm aware of the history but what did they do last time a white guy got shot for concealed carry?

Gattsu25

Banned
The NRA has supported gun control advocates (like Ronald Reagan) in the past, but only when that was intended to disarm black people. To quote wikipedia for a bit:
The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill which repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, the bill was crafted in response to members of the Black Panther party conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods while conducting what would later be termed copwatching. They garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched bearing arms upon the California State Capitol to protest the bill.

Republicans in California supported increased gun control. California Governor Ronald Reagan was present when the protesters arrived and later commented that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons” and that guns were a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”

The bill was signed by Governor Ronald Reagan
and became California penal code 25850 and 171c.

The NRA then endorsed Reagan when he ran for President.

Kuroyume

Banned
Do they typically issue statements when white people are killed in similiar circumstances? (Yes, I know black men are disproportionately more likely to be killed by the police, but white men still do get killed by law enforcement, also) If the NRA were full of racists I would not be surprised, but I don't understand why people expected a statement. Was he an NRA member?

Do they typically issue statements when white people are killed in similiar circumstances? (Yes, I know black men are disproportionately more likely to be killed by the police, but white men still do get killed by law enforcement, also) If the NRA were full of racists I would not be surprised, but I don't understand why people expected a statement. Was he an NRA member?

Gotta twist it into being the NRA's fault somehow...

Bring back the black panthers and you'll get your gun control. Muslims can participate too.

Sadly this is true as fuck. If Black folks started a "The cops is killing us so let's move where there's open carry and bring guns movement" you'd have your gun control quick as shit. And it'd be celebrated. Even by non-NRA members.

In America guns are for White people. That's the truth. Fuck that.

blacks need to take over the NRA.

I'm trying....

akira28

Or the NRA could just go fuck itself. Either or.

nah, they don't need to go anywhere, we can come to them. They need to stay right where they are.

Gotta twist it into being the NRA's fault somehow...

they don't deserve any defense or even the benefit of doubt. they have made comments after events that have been politicized have come into contact or conflict with the 2nd amendment and gun ownership. That they are completely silent or have yet to speak, the silence is notable.

I'm trying....

I hope you're not planning on doing it alone.

"What is the Significance of the NRA Not Issuing a Statement on Philando Castile?"

Proving that support for the 2nd Amendment is the most insidiously (and take that for its real definition, not just as a synonym for evil) racist piece of ideology in America. Let me explain.

What is the easiest way you get away with killing black people?

What is the easiest way to get black people to kill each other?

What is a great way to make white people more scared of black people?

There you go. Being a 2nd Amendment activist has terribly racist implications. Now, this is not the main goal of the NRA. Their main goal is to sell guns. But this is a very direct side effect of that, and they know it is, and they are all for it. That's why they do not say that the police are wrong to shoot a legally carrying black man. Being OK with it sells more guns.

Kettch

I'd be interested to see what events they have released statements for. I wouldn't be surprised if there were racist tendencies, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just don't care about gun owners being killed at all. They already got their sales after all.

It proves that the perception of the NRA as an organization that is only out to protect the profits of gun manufacturers.

The NRA works to make sure those profits are protected, and also every so often provokes the racist tendencies of their base to put them into action doing what they do every time they think about Scary Black Men: go put more money into the pockets of the gun industry.

If the NRA actually had any concerns about gun rights divorced from the profits of their industry, this would be a banner case for them. And yet, total silence.

"What is the Significance of the NRA Not Issuing a Statement on Philando Castile?"

Proving that support for the 2nd Amendment is the most insidiously (and take that for its real definition, not just as a synonym for evil) racist piece of ideology in America. Let me explain.

What is the easiest way you get away with killing black people?

What is the easiest way to get black people to kill each other?

What is a great way to make white people more scared of black people?

There you go. Being a 2nd Amendment activist has terribly racist implications. Now, this is not the main goal of the NRA. Their main goal is to sell guns. But this is a very direct side effect of that, and they know it is, and they are all for it. That's why they do not say that the police are wrong to shoot a legally carrying black man. Being OK with it sells more guns.

Yeah, it's quite a paradox isn't it?

Bleepey

I basically called out all of my 'the government is going to take your guns!' Misguided folks on facebook and posted about the killing. Only one of them shared it, the rest are still too focused on Hilary's emails. I guess gun rights only matter for some folks.

Take screenshots of it and ask them why every mass shooting was a call to arms and why this isnt. Oh and Manmoth Jones are the discounts worth it?

Maybe there should be a witty hashtag every time the NRA is silent in occasions like this.

Is there actually conrete evidence on the NRA's racism?

I mean, I know they're an anachronistic drain on society with blood on their hands, wasn't aware of their racism though.

They know their audience.

Bingo. I'm sure there are plenty of NRA members who would be earnestly angry about his situation, relating as gun owners. But there are significantly MORE members who would see this as a betrayal of what they think the NRA stands for (IE, arming "America" against the "Others").

Is there actually conrete evidence on the NRA's racism?

I mean, I know they're an anachronistic drain on society with blood on their hands, wasn't aware of their racism though.

Proxy Prejudice.

Just like how Ubisoft probably isn't run by sexists but used sexism to get publicity for Unity.

What was their statement regarding that pro gun woman who killed her daughters?

By staying silent after a legally licensed, responsible gun owner was unjustly slain by trigger happy government officers they've proven without a doubt what a lot of people already believed; They, and of course their republican puppets, only see the 2nd Amendment as a white only right.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's almost like the NRA is a hypocritical organization with deeply-rooted racial biases.

But... such a thing can't be true! Can it?

HyperionX

I've been saying this for a while: Lack of gun control is racism. Gun rights are inherently racist. And so is the NRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom