• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X finally works on Windows 10! A story from bug fxing hell.

So Velocity 2X is one of my favorite games of the gen. Brilliant gameplay and a fantastic soundtrack. Played the hell out of it on Vita but I've wanted to own it on Steam for ages. However its had relatively mixed reviews on Steam because of a game breaking bug that was apparently never going to be fixed.

Well in the last few days Futurlab finally pushed a fix and it now works properly. They have documented the entire ordeal in a blog post. It's an interesting read and gives some insight into why it took so long to get this sorted.

And if you haven't played the game yet, it's well worth your time, on any platform. Those tunes man, those tunes......

Pachael

Man, that was brutal, trying to find that particular bug that was crashing the level(s). Good to see they resolved it in the end.

thumb

Banned
I think these sorts of write-ups are really important to remind users just how challenging some bug fixes can be. Things that seem trivial and inexplicable can represent deeply intractable problems.

I think these sorts of write-ups are really important to remind users just how challenging some bug fixes can be. Things that seem trivial and inexplicable can represent deeply intractable problems.

Seems that these sort of things can really help customers understand the problems that can arise. could help avoid some of the shit-talking you see on forums etc. I guess a lot of people think these things should be easy, that blog post is a real window into the reality.

lcap

Great write-up. Thanks OP.

The saddest part of this is knowing their project got cancelled and they seemed quite in a bad position.

Calabi

I wish more dev's would do thing's like this. We dont often get insight into how game development works, especially not this detailed.

Great write-up. Thanks OP.

The saddest part of this is knowing their project got cancelled and they seemed quite in a bad position.

I know, can't help but wonder what that would've been. Hope they are in good shape now and are putting something new together, I've loved all their work so far and hope to play more in the future.

Tizoc

Bumping so more people can know about this.
Hope sales start picking up now and that its positive reviews encourage more people to get it.

VLiberty

Great, cause every player with access to PS4, Vita, XB1 or Steam has to play this game. Absolute masterpiece in every regard

iosefe

best game, one of my two GOTY choices from last year

even if you don't want to get it on Steam, it's currently 3.99 on PSN right now (flash sale) so definitely get it

prophecy0

Great read, thanks for posting! I actually prefer Velocity Ultra to 2x but I still had a great time with 2x. Its nice to see that kind of dedication to fix a bug. I wish these devs nothing but success going forward.

CHC

Never played the game but this blog post / story is somehow rivetingly interesting. Really good writing.

wouwie

I wondered why Futurlab hadn't released anything since Velocity 2X but i always assumed it was because they were doing a much bigger project. So i was very surprised to read that their next project was cancelled and they apparently went through quite a rough period. I hope things are looking up now and that they will bring other great games in the future.

Also, i wish they brought Velocity Ultra to PS4. I actually preferred it to 2X due to not liking the walking bits all that much in 2X.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't work in games, but I work on a software platform, and this is definitely something I wish gamers realized. Making tiny enhancements or bug fixes requires months of 60 hour weeks from Development, QA, Product Management, Support, etc. This shit is not easy.

recurv

Neo Member
I wondered why Futurlab hadn't released anything since Velocity 2X but i always assumed it was because they were doing a much bigger project. So i was very surprised to read that their next project was cancelled and they apparently went through quite a rough period.

The games industry is bonkers. We spent an entire year working to get a game signed, it went through four iterations before it eventually got signed, and then it got canned at the 'First Playable' milestone: Not because the game sucked, it was ace, but there was internal restructuring going on at the publisher where a lot of projects were cancelled at the same time: http://www.futurlab.co.uk/10000-followers.html

This is not unusual, it's just the business we're in!

So, did Nvidia ever get back to them?

Nope! :)

wouwie

The games industry is bonkers. We spent an entire year working to get a game signed, it went through four iterations before it eventually got signed, and then it got canned at the 'First Playable' milestone: Not because the game sucked, it was ace, but there was internal restructuring going on at the publisher where a lot of projects were cancelled at the same time: http://www.futurlab.co.uk/10000-followers.html

This is not unusual, it's just the business we're in!

That sucks. Never knew this happened. I always assumed you were working on a far bigger game after Velocity 2X, hence the longer development time.

I can't wait to find out what you're working on now and i hope everthing works out this time. Futurlab is a talented and exciting developer!

Top Bottom