• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) - Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

I loved this. I had a great time at my screening, people were into it and the movie was great.

Some random thoughts:

- No earth at all which is awesome.
- Yorktown puts Elysium and most other space cities to shame. It looks fantastic.
- I loved the diversity of the Enterprise's crew (both aliens and a diverse cast of humans)
- Idris Elba was a great sympathetic villain although the "twist" was kind of predictable
- LOVED Sofia Boutella as Jaylah... Just awesome and I hope she will be a permanent crew member.
- I was surprised to see no Klingons? I thought they were in this...
- The movie was just very comfortable in its own skin.
- The action scenes were cut too fast. Especially the hand-to-hand combat...

Waldini

Spoil more!

How's Idris his character? Why the hate towards Starfleet? Does he get redeemed in any way?

Is there another Starship present? Will the Enterprise be rebuild? Do we see it?

Saya

Spoil more!

Ok!

How's Idris his character? Why the hate towards Starfleet? Does he get redeemed in any way?

I loved his character. Major SPOILER: Idris Elba who plays Krall is actually one of the first Starfleet commanders... He was once human and named Edison. He found alien technology that could prolong his life, but it also changed his appearance. He constantly needs to drain life energy out of living things. I thought there was kind of a redemption at the end, but not really.

Is there another Starship present? Will the Enterprise be rebuild? Do we see it?

Yes. There are 3 starships. The basic Enterprise, a very old starship named the USS Franklin (found on the planet which I forgot the name of), and at the end of the film you'll see a cool timelapse video of the newest Enterprise that the crew gets. Because the old one is totally destroyed by Krall's forces.

Pagusas

Elden Member
is the new Enterprise different looking in any obvious way? Does it get the 1701-A designation?

Saya

is the new Enterprise different looking in any obvious way? Does it get the 1701-A designation?

Yeah, I thought it looked much sleeker, and it had a more metallic shine to it I think. It was mentioned in the film that it was the most advanced ship built so far or something. I LOVED the time-lapse scene of it being built. It's really cool.

I can't remember the designation...

Saya

What does Chekov get up to in this one?

He has a pretty big role. He's the one who crashes to the planet with Kirk and accompanies him for a good long time together with another alien chick. He's also a bit flirty with different alien ladies throughout the film. Also, he just does his thing of being awesome. I thought the whole cast was great. I can't believe we won't see him in 4. He'll be missed.

Penguin

He has a pretty big role. He's the one who crashes to the planet with Kirk and accompanies him for a good long time together with another alien chick. He's also a bit flirty with different alien ladies throughout the film. Also, he just does his thing of being awesome. I thought the whole cast was great. I can't believe we won't see him in 4. He'll be missed.

Yeah that was sad

Seemed like were grooming him to be near the top of the crew with Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Speaking of, Spock and Bones' adventures are the best part of the film for me

vareon

I felt the villain was a bit weak but I really had fun with this. Feels like a space adventure, though it ends a bit short. Spock and Bones were great to see together, and it's cool they managed to have a tribute to Nimoy and even the entire old crew in the movie.

I personally loved the climax battle, but I'm not sure how Star Trek fans receive it lol. That was Guardians of The Galaxy territory.

Saya

Yeah, the final battle was basically the starship surfing a wave of enemies to the awesome tunes of the Beasty Boys. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

I liked it. Saw it today. The ending was awesome and kind of strange. Parallel universes meet in a picture. Great way to say goodbye to Leonard.

What happens?

Zachary (Spock) goes through Leonard's (Spock) belongings and comes up with an old picture of the old original Enterprise crew. Really great scene.

Yeah, the final battle was basically the starship surfing a wave of enemies to the awesome tunes of the Beasty Boys. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

My boss didn't like it but I freaking loved it! I got goosebumps. It was awesome.

Saya

My boss didn't like it but I freaking loved it! I got goosebumps. It was awesome.

Haha, I got goosebumps too when that song started. I thought I was the only one. I wish they hadn't spoilt this part in the trailers though.

I also liked how they referred to this music as classical.

I was surprised hearing Fight The Power by Public Enemy earlier in the film as well. Good stuff.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really enjoyed this film. Crew dynamic is really good and everyone gets a chance to shine (something good Star Trek films tend to have). How do you spell the white alien girl's name? Jaina? She's pretty cool too.

Also that fucking MACROSS style fight. I really enjoyed it. I was actually thinking they'd use FIGHT DA POWAH but I'm glad they chose another song.

I think my only problem really is the weird pacing at the captured fleet moment. Like, Uhura gets captured, she and Sulu escape, they get captured again. Though I guess it is useful to establish Uhura realizing the twist. I actually didn't get the twist until I recognize the voice actor for Krall.

The send off to Nimoy was also pretty touching. And I like how he pretty much tells Spock to "be with his starfleet family" through the picture of the old cast. Really gets you especially when you realize only few of them are living and are very old. :(

Still need clarification on Sulu. I know he's gay here, but is the daughter adopted or from the other guy? I kinda missed Kirk's joke.

Also yeah, Yorktown is fucking amazing. Blows away other space colony/planets (makes the Nova planet from GotG crap) including videogames.

Does Spock Prime pass away in between films or something?

just a few mins after the opening, Spock is approached by Vulcans in Yorktown, then later we see that it's a message revealing Prime Spock's news of passing away. It pretty much sets up Spock's arc in the film. I'm glad they managed to make it a plot point in the movie.

Though does this mean the Vulcan acknowledge Prime Spock being from a parallel universe?

Haha, I got goosebumps too when that song started. I thought I was the only one. I wish they hadn't spoilt this part in the trailers though.

I also liked how they referred to this music as classical.

I was surprised hearing Fight The Power by Public Enemy earlier in the film as well. Good stuff.

I enjoyed Macross 7 and that was a delight to me.

And that's a callback joke to IV I think. Like how in IV crap magazines were considered art.

Boss Doggie

Kind of unclear. Current Spock is informed of his passing by two Vulcans early on in the movie. It happened when he was out in the frontier with the Enterprise.
I thought it was implied he passed away between films since he only heard of the news upon arriving, and a long time had passed since In To Darkness considering Kirk mentioned it has been roughly 2-3 years since they left.

Saya

I think my only problem really is the weird pacing at the captured fleet moment. Like, Uhura gets captured, she and Sulu escape, they get captured again. Though I guess it is useful to establish Uhura realizing the twist. I actually didn't get the twist until I recognize the voice actor for Krall.

I got the twist the first time we saw the old crew videos of the USS Franklin. I recognized Idris Elba even though his face was obscured and thought it must be Krall.

I also loved the first few scenes with Kirk narrating the daily going ons on the Enterprise. Great dynamic and setting.

Saya

I thought it was implied he passed away between films since he only heard of the news upon arriving, and a long time had passed since In To Darkness considering Kirk mentioned it has been roughly 2-3 years since they left.

Yeah, you're right. It must have happened sometime between these films.

Would youprefer Justin Lin of JJ to direct the next film?

I wouldn't mind having Lin direct the next one. I think he pulled it off, I'm more concerned about who is writing it. I wish Pegg would write the next one too.

Boss Doggie

Would youprefer Justin Lin of JJ to direct the next film?

I honestly enjoyed this film more than the two JJA films.

I got the twist the first time we saw the old crew videos of the USS Franklin. I recognized Idris Elba even though his face was obscured and thought it must be Krall.

I also loved the first few scenes with Kirk narrating the daily going ons on the Enterprise. Great dynamic and setting.

I'm actually only familiar with Idris Elba as a voice actor so I only caught him very late lol

Penguin

Yeha, also believe Bones mentioned it so it happened before they docked at the station

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, I guess Chapel isn't considered as part of the gang anymore huh? Though I like how the green skinned chick is still here. Like she's a consistent background character. Reminds me of Harry Potter films.

This actually makes me massively excited.

I love the idea of starting the movie like the TOS show.

yeah that's what I got from this film, it has an air of a TOS ep

I also like towards the end, it's the entire main crew saying the Star Trek catchphrase

vareon

Kinda surprised Joe Taslim's character (Manas) got quite a role in the movie, though his face wasn't seen. He certainly fared better than The Raid trio in The Force Awakens, heh.

Saya

Kinda surprised Joe Taslim's character (Manas) got quite a role in the movie, though his face wasn't seen. He certainly fared better than The Raid trio in The Force Awakens, heh.

That was Joe Taslim? Damn I didn't even realize it. We also never really got to see what happened to him right? After the fight with Jaylah he is kind of forgotten? I thought he was quite good as a right-hand-man kinda character.

scarlet

Chekov :(

That Sulu's scene with his husband and daughter was sweet.

Bones & Spock >>>> Kirk & Spock

Manas was abandoned there. But his file said "case closed" in the last scene.

vareon

That was Joe Taslim? Damn I didn't even realize it. We also never really got to see what happened to him right? After the fight with Jaylah he is kind of forgotten? I thought he was quite good as a right-hand-man kinda character.

Yeah he just disappeared after the fight. He wasn't shown to be in one of Krall's bees, IIRC.

Saya

Did they by any chance film the "birthday scene" on the enterprise with Bones and Kirk later? After the news the actor died? I guess it was meant for Kirk's father, but I felt it kinda worked for Yelchin too... That third glass... And bones mentioned he got it from chekov's room... 😢

Saya

Reading the news from Star Trek 4 and this it seems like we may never see the Klingons in all their glory again. Shame really.

I didn't really follow the production of this film and kinda went in blind and I really thought this film was about Klingons. I guess there were some rumors of Elba playing a Klingon or something. But there's no mention of them at all. Romulans were mentioned a few times. It's weird because the Klingons would be perfect for this series.

Boss Doggie

I haven't actually followed the production history of this film. So we're supposed to get a different movie?

Did they by any chance film the "birthday scene" on the enterprise with Bones and Kirk later? After the news the actor died? I guess it was meant for Kirk's father, but I felt it kinda worked for Yelchin too... That third glass... And bones mentioned he got it from chekov's room... ��

I saw it honoring Yelchin. I'm pretty sure it was filmed after his death.

Boss Doggie

Yeah they also honored a "for Anton" at the credits.

Fuck, didn't know he passed away too :(

vareon

Did they by any chance film the "birthday scene" on the enterprise with Bones and Kirk later? After the news the actor died? I guess it was meant for Kirk's father, but I felt it kinda worked for Yelchin too... That third glass... And bones mentioned he got it from chekov's room... 😢

The scene was important to establish Kirk's motive so I doubt it's shot after Yelchin passed.

Bones is really great in this movie.

And I kinda feel Simon Pegg wrote the scripts for his scenes lol. The one where he opened a broken communicator feel very.... Simon Pegg-y.

Saya

Does the entire Enterprise crew get massacred after the crash?

No, but a lot of the crew dies during the battle in space when Krall attacks the Enterprise. Many crew members are sucked into space. Others are caught and some have the life sucked out of them.

MisterHero

No, but a lot of the crew dies during the battle in space when Krall attacks the Enterprise. Many crew members are sucked into space. Others are caught and some have the life sucked out of them.
Maybe I shouldn't keep talking, but that seems like the biggest failure a Captain can have. Now I want to see how Kirk deals with it.

The scene was important to establish Kirk's motive so I doubt it's shot after Yelchin passed.

Bones is really great in this movie.

And I kinda feel Simon Pegg wrote the scripts for his scenes lol. The one where he opened a broken communicator feel very.... Simon Pegg-y.

Does he get more scenes in this one?

Saya

Maybe I shouldn't keep talking, but that seems like the biggest failure a Captain can have. Now I want to see how Kirk deals with it.

I thought this movie was really about Kirk and the crew. He realizes that without the Enterprise crew he is nothing and he needs them. And he'll do anything to keep them safe.

Him losing the battle to Krall wasn't really his fault I thought. They were lured into a trap and Krall has a very effective fleet of drone ships.

Does he get more scenes in this one?

He has quite a big role. I think his biggest one yet.

Saw it just now pretty much agree with the "thoughts" in the OP.

Though I didn't think the climax was as exciting as the first or the second movie, nor did it have something jawdropping like the warp tunnel sequence in Into Darkness.

But overall, fun, exciting; felt like a really long episode tbh.

saw it tonight at the crew screening, vfx and the Vancouver production crew. Was nice to see it with on set production people as well.

Was surprised that I liked it a lot! I was really unsure about it but it really came together quite well... really did feel like a massive episode. Liked that it moved quickly.

Fyi I was comp supervisor on basically everything until they head into the nebula :) I loved the music they put to all of our Yorktown shots... epic! put a big smile on my face. Though was a little disapponting with the grading work in the end... they really destroyed a lot of detail. ah well!

Saya

saw it tonight at the crew screening, vfx and the Vancouver production crew. Was nice to see it with on set production people as well.

Was surprised that I liked it a lot! I was really unsure about it but it really came together quite well... really did feel like a massive episode. Liked that it moved quickly.

Fyi I was comp supervisor on basically everything until they head into the nebula :) I loved the music they put to all of our Yorktown shots... epic! put a big smile on my face. Though was a little disapponting with the grading work in the end... they really destroyed a lot of detail. ah well!

Cool! You did fantastic work on Yorktown! I loved the design and visuals of it. And yeah, I also really loved the music when they arrived in Yorktown.

Joeytj

Banned
Just came back from the world premier at Comic-Con in San Diego, and wow. We got a laser/firework show, Conan O'Brien hosting the cast introductio, live orchestra during the movie. Amazing.

Oh, and the movie was awesome. The story is more expansive than I thought, loved the return of old Trek technobabble, and Yorktown was incredible. Both the villain and the new alien girl were much better characters than I thought. The entire cast shines and the humor is the best so far of the three last movies.

At the same time, the action is nonstop, but it doesn't feel unnecessary or superfluous. It does feel like an extended TV episode, that IS right, but as everybody else has said, it's a complet for these new Star Trek movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom