• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League cross-network play (PS4/Xbox) ready, only needs Sony approval

bjaelke

Psyonix vice president Jeremy Dunham says work on Rocket League's proposed cross-network play between PS4 and Xbox One is now complete, could be up-and-running within "a few hours", and only requires Sony's approval to be released.

Speaking to IGN, Dunham explained just how close the groundbreaking feature - which would allow play across Xbox Live and PSN for the first time - could potentially be:

"Right now," explained Dunham, "we're literally at the point where all we need is the go-ahead on the Sony side and we can, in less than a business day, turn it on and have it up and working no problem. It'd literally take a few hours to propagate throughout the whole world, so really we're just waiting on the permission to do so."

In March, Dunham said that such a solution was "figured out" but not finished, and that Psyonix needed to "find out where we stand politically with everyone". It seems that Microsoft has since approved the move, leaving Sony to give their final say. Unfortunately, Dunham's not aware of when the word could come:

"It could be tomorrow, it could be longer than that. We just don't know - we're anxiously awaiting that, just like the rest of ou fans."

Dunham was keen to make clear that Sony's lack of a decision does not seem to be out of philosophical reluctance to allow such a move to happen, rather that it's a case of making sure everything's in place on its end before committing:

"Sony's such a big company that I'm sure it takes a while for them to figure out what it is that the roadblocks are, what sort of issues they might run into with other titles, any number of things that I can't even begin to speculate on. We definitely ask them for updates often, and we're still very confident that they're eventually going to open those doors and welcome us in, but we also are really understanding that it's going to take a while especially given all the ramifications of everything. It was just as much of a surprise to them as I think the rest of the world when Microsoft said that they would do it."

Blizzard has previously expressed interest in cross-console play for Overwatch, and Dunham says such announcements - alongside public interest from fans - could help expedite a release:

"I think that the more companies that show the world that they're interested in that sort of thing, and the more communities that get behind it, the more likely it is that it'll happen [...] We think that the gaming community as a whole is the final voice in this - it's what they want which will determine where we go eventually."

With console cross-network play somewhat in limbo, then, does Dunham believe it will come about? His response is typically, and infectiously enthusiastic:

"At the risk of sounding naïve, I do think it will happen. Whether or not it'll be soon is another question. The sooner the better for us, and for our fans, and fans of other games [...] I do think it's inevitable, I think the industry is going to get there, because I don't see the downsides from it."
IGN: Rocket League PS4-Xbox One Cross-Network Play Now Ready for Release, Only Needs Sony's Approval

Confident claim. It'd cool if this would happen, and then be able to actually meet with friends on PC and both consoles. So many of my mates are exclusive to console or PC, so it'dbe cool to get us all playing together.

Kayant

Good. Wasn't expecting the party holding this up to even be named but it's good to know who is holding it up.

#FreeRL@Sony

Edit -

People should really read the article and particularly the second bolded quote from the article.
Indeed am hopeful they will do right with this based on that and their general stance with cross-play.

VariantX

Hope sony does this. It could have an incredible effect on the longevity of games by having a even bigger pool of players to play with.

zma1013

I wonder if it will be like PC cross network play where it's only random strangers or if we could somehow join friends games.

Piccoro

I wonder if it will be like PC cross network play where it's only random strangers or if we could somehow join friends games.

I'm also wondering about this. I hope that all players can create a Rocket League unique gamertag so that PS4 players can invite Xbox One players.

I'm also wondering about this. I hope that all players can create a Rocket League unique gamertag so that PS4 players can invite Xbox One players.

This. I hope they somehow implement it. If they can implement cross play, then there should be a way to create cross platform parties as well.

This is so cool. I hope Sony comes through and this movement becomes a trend.

Agreed, I can see it happening. Just imagine the longevity this will bring to great games that sometimes get lost cause of the other released. The online communities will strive better for this reason.

This will be great for the industry, devs, and gamers as whole.

LewieP

A gargantuan amount of people here kept scoffing at this before.

My post was somewhat satirising people having made this claim previously.

At a policy and ideological level Sony have been open to this for far longer than MS.

People suggesting that the ball was in Sony's court were implying that they had been the one holding it up all these years, when it was clearly Microsoft.

Read the actual quotes here. Sony have already said they will allow this, but there are a variety of technical details they need to ensure they've accounted for.

When Microsoft made the decision to no longer forbid cross platform multiplayer, they had time to get their policies and procedures in place before announcing it, now Sony is doing the same. But Sony were always in principal open to cross-platform play.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But people on GAF told me that it was on MS

WHO DO I BELIEVE

It was... then the 2:1 ratio happened.

At a policy and ideological level Sony have been open to this for far longer than MS.

People suggesting that the ball was in Sony's court were implying that they had been the one holding it up all these years, when it was clearly Microsoft.

Read the actual quotes here. Sony have already said they will allow this, but there are a variety of technical details they need to ensure they've accounted for.

When Microsoft made the decision to no longer forbid cross platform multiplayer, they had time to get their policies and procedures in place before announcing it, now Sony is doing the same. But Sony were always in principal open to cross-platform play.

Good summarization.

RyanW

Would be beneficial for everyone involved. Would also how their competitive league by giving more players the opportunity to compete.

Do it Sony!

mauaus

So cool that Rocket League might be the first game to pull this off, seems fitting the game is the "sports game" GOAT

Kayant

TheKeyPit

Banned

Nah, back then it was "a policy thing". The text in the OP is only a fleshed out version of "It's a policy thing".

Outrun

The ball is NOW in Sony's court.

No one is saying that they have been holding this up for years.

But NOW, in 2016, the ball is in Sony's court.

We can all agree with 2:1 winning ratio, MS didn't want it-but now they do, etc....

But again, the ball is NOW in Sony's court...

That combined with Dunham's statement that they have just now finished the ability to have cross console multiplayer also puts the older threads to shame, in the sense that Psyonix wasn't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for Sony. It's entirely likely that they wanted to get it actually functional first before moving ahead with it. The chance of Sony refusing RL cross play is extremely low.

This is a good post.

ClearData

I feel like this won't happen because Sony is not going to want to lose the network effect of people buying PlayStations to play with their friends. So a person who might lean towards buying an Xbox but has friends on PSN would go ahead and buy that Xbox if they knew they could play cross-network. It's a cynical view, but I'm sure they are considering the competitive aspects. Sony has been fine with PC cross network play. Supporting a rival console might be going too far for them.

It's an inarguably great proposition for gamers. Though Dunham notes that the corporate machinery and "politics" are still there. That's what I am basing my take on.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That combined with Dunham's statement that they have just now finished the ability to have cross console multiplayer also puts the older threads to shame, in the sense that Psyonix wasn't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for Sony. It's entirely likely that they wanted to get it actually functional first before moving ahead with it. The chance of Sony refusing RL cross play is extremely low.

One of the developers commented here weeks ago, that a patch already made crossplay between all platforms possible. They only need to hit that switch.

Top Bottom