• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to require sign in every 5 years to maintain gamertag

pitchfork

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-changes-services-agreement-xbox-now-requires-sign-every-5-years-maintain-gamertag/

In the Microsoft Account or Skype Account section, we’ve added a requirement that you must sign into the Xbox Services at least once in a 5-year period to keep the Xbox gamertag associated with your Microsoft account. We’ve also added that if your account is compromised, we may be required to disable access to certain content

Hopefully free up some dormant gamertags

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It should be 1 year. Some people hog the best gamertags for no purpose.

I was forced to get some randomly generated name because of Games for Windows Live. Thankfully that DRM is now dead and buried.

Sadly I think I played Bulletstorm a few months ago so you will still have to wait over 4 more years to be called PaisleyAbyss and some random number after it that I don't remember.

Storm360

Does this mean that 360 owners that jumped ship to PlayStation and will want to return to Scorpio when released will be shit out of luck?

If you really care about your name, it doesn't take too much effort to open up the xbox app or go on xbox.com

I was forced to get some randomly generated name because of Games for Windows Live. Thankfully that DRM is now dead and buried.

Sadly I think I played Bulletstorm a few months ago so you will still have to wait over 4 more years to be called PaisleyAbyss and some random number after it that I don't remember.

You should be able to change it once for free

Do you just lose the gamertag or your whole account?

They'll just change your name to some random generated one

Isn't gamertags the same as psn account?

Gamertags is your public ID, a gamertag can be changed unlike PSN

emb

RIP my gamer tag. :p

I'll try to login in sometime. I should actually be fine, since I'm pretty sure I signed in when I got my XB1.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That means my Gamertag plus gamerscore is all gone then? What does this do with purchased content?

Because I haven't turned on my 360 in forever.

Malcolm9

Just signed in again even though I haven't owned an Xbox console for 3 years, you never know, I may pick one up again once the Scorpio is released.

munroe

That means my Gamertag plus gamerscore is all gone then? What does this do with purchased content?

Its been mentioned like 3/4 times already, just your gamertag, it's to allow other people to use the gamertag instead of someone hogging it and not using it and if you're that worried, just log into xbox.com

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Log in to Xbox App(W10/Android/iOS), Xbox.com, X360, XONE. Once in 5 year. Sounds fair.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder when the first batch of great, unused gamertags will be available again.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

no they just change your tag to some auto-generated nonsense like FaintColt388301

you don't lose anything

Top Bottom