• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game jokes/references that refuse to die no matter how stale

SOR5

My candidates would be:

• Does Mario eat mushrooms because hes getting high off them lol
  • Do you think sometimes when Mario hits a block he bangs his head and he's in pain lol that would be funny
  • The Cake Is A Lie
  • Lol do you think people are tired Link of coming into their house and throwing all the pots around
  • How much does Navi talk am i right
  • Praise The Sun

PsychBat!

Banned
tumblr_nc8uxyZOlb1tmx7slo1_1280.png

i think the only one i've heard recently off of that list is "praise the sun" and even then, I've only noticed it two places: written on a random chalkboard and when i've said it myself.

it really feels like i've almost entirely stopped seeing game related humor. I guess my internet habits changed somehow. All the references i've grown sick of have been other random memes lately.

higemaru

Not super common but "7.7, too much water"

Also basically every crude Mario joke. "Maybe Peach is banging Bowser lol, that's why she gets kidnapped so much"

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
What is a man?

SOR5

Also basically every crude Mario joke. "Maybe Peach is banging Bowser lol, that's why she gets kidnapped so much"

I think ive seen a thousand different comics with this joke, its always Peach and Bowser in a bed and Peach is smoking a cigarette looking bored and Bowser is like "we cant keep this up any longer"

Zubz

Banned
I remember a lot of jokes about Pac-Man popping pills or Guitar Hero players being better off playing real guitar (Plus variants for every other peripheral-based rhythm game) way back; I don't know if those finally died. Thanks to Pokèmon GO, however, jokes about balls and "Pocket Monsters" seem to have popped up in mainstream coverage.

Holy... I thought we were past this! I mean, I expect people to casually make a nod, but Mirror's Edge?

KJRS_1993

When there's a Michael Pachter thread and he says something like "Call of Duty will sell well" and then a bunch of muppets fly into the thread to be the first to drop an absolute hilarious "Call of Duty failure CONFIRMED amirite??" dank line, and then contribute precisely zero to the discussion.

It's cool to disagree with the guy, but that shit is so old.

CHC

I love Dark Souls but I hate "praise the Sun" as well as all the stupid meme names for the weapons (pizza cutter lololol) or the bosses (Pikachu and Snorlax). All just so tired and most harder to type than the real names - also exhausting to keep up with the latest nickname.

SOR5

Look at this I edited the name of something in the game and I made the NPC say a rude word LOL!

"Are you sure you want to give away your BUTT", haha hes not meant to say things like that!!

yes there is no fun allowed around me

Stopdoor

I've started to groan pretty hard at "you only play Mario Party if you don't want friends anymore, lol!!"

Like, haha the first time, but then every time Mario Party is brought up it's the same song and dance, and the person I'm talking to expects me to laugh or something as if it's original?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The "Pachter = Opposite" might be the most toxic one.

Also, this isn't only gaming related (though it is 80% of the time), but someone saying, "Well, there it is" for virtually any announcement/trailer/news/etc.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nathan Drake is a mass murderer.

Ludonarrative dissonance.
Ludonarrative dissonance isn't really a joke, it's a really pertinent discussion as games get more and more realistic and something devs need to think about more.

re: "ugh i hate when people talk about ludonarrative dissonance"
This is probably about the 800th major game that has had a thread about ludonarrative dissonance. It's almost like as games become increasingly realistic, the ways in which they aren't realistic become more obvious and dissonant. This is an ongoing thing. The people who want to talk about it aren't magically going to go away because you like a new release game. The OP isn't saying this because he's part of a stealth agenda to devalue how God Tier Neil Druckmann Is, he's saying it because it's an observation he had when he played the game. It's ok. Uncharted 4's Metacritic score won't get rounded down another point. I agree that it's worth talking about the extent to which it gets in the way of things and whether or not attempting to reduce dissonance would actually harm game quality. Like, I think there's a good conversation to be had about the extent to which we might care about this. But it's not "who cares it's a video game lol".

Stopdoor

When there's a Michael Pachter thread and he says something like "Call of Duty will sell well" and then a bunch of muppets fly into the thread to be the first to drop an absolute hilarious "Call of Duty failure CONFIRMED amirite??" dank line, and then contribute precisely zero to the discussion.

It's cool to disagree with the guy, but that shit is so old.

This gets worse when it's something 'unexpected' from Pachter, like he actually says something positive about Nintendo, and people try really hard to still bend the joke but it's clear they're uncomfortable he's not some evil moustache-twirling villain they must fight everytime.

MrBadger

Trainers mistreat Pokemon by enslaving them and forcing them to fight! Wouldn't it be funny if the Pokemon attacked the trainer? lmao

Everything Zelda related. Sorry Zelda fans but your fanbase, along with Skyrim's and Portal's, has probably the least funny sense of humor of all

MrBadger

Not super common but "7.7, too much water"

This one I don't get. 7.8 ain't even a bad score and "too much water" was the most common Hoenn complaint before. Then IGN say it and suddenly it's wrong.

Also wouldn't it be funny if you could shoot the dog in Duck Hunt?

Top Bottom