• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is it reasonable to assume most white Americans are okay with racism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. In recent polls Trump has support of over 40℅ of the voters.
2. Trump has very little support among minorities.
3. 64% of the population of the US are Caucasian.
4. Thus roughly 2/3 (=40/64) of the white people in the US are voting for Trump.
5. I assume people who vote for Trump are okay with his racist rhetoric s.

Are people in minority supposed to feel comfortable in the US?

Fury451

Banned
No, it's not reasonable to think that.

It's reasonable to say that a lot of white people can't see the forest through the trees though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's reasonable to assume most white Americans are ok with how it currently is. It's a subtle difference that allows for cognitive dissonance. Most racists don't think they're racist.

keffri

cSyHoGN.gif

hawk2025

Most (in the "majority" sense) are okay with not attempting to resolve the cognitive dissonance that allows them to be complacent with racism.

It's perhaps not too big of a distinction, but an important one nonetheless.

inner-G

Banned
No, that's not how it works.

Voting for someone doesn't mean you agree with them on everything

(That said, almost everyone I know who supports Trump is racist)

Flo_Evans

Casual racism yes - not many white people I know will call you out for making a racist comment.

Burning cross in your front lawn no.

Beartruck

No. More than half of those people probably just vote republican because their parents did. People forget a lot of new people registered to vote for Trump.

I think this is quite a big assumption and one that your entire argument relies on
How can they vote for him if they are not okay with him using every opportunity to push his Ra cist rhetoric and are not okay with his proposed plans which will put minorities in unjust disadvantage?

Syncytia

Not really?

The more reasonable assumption is that there are many people who have a paralyzing level of hate for Hillary and will therefore vote for Trump.

Yes.

And by that, I mean they're either explicitly OK with it, or they are stupid enough to believe it doesn't really exist all that much and are implicitly OK with it as a result.

daviyoung

Banned
How can they vote for him if they are not okay with him using every opportunity to push his Ra cist rhetoric and are not okay with his proposed plans which will put minorities in unjust disadvantage?

because they agree with him on other issues and don't know the full extent or the repercussions of his proposed policies?

Gallbaro

Banned
I would assume that the vast majority of people make decisions that affect their lives with racist considerations a factor. I would say that almost all white people are racist to a wide range of degrees.
same with everyone else, but institutional power and all that jazz is largely in white hands.

Try and bus poor black kid to a liberal white school.

Sudden cries of we should be improving their district instead of busing then to ours, or concerns over crime and safety will occur in liberal places such as nyc and Boston while in more overly racist areas they will just say no.

Eidan

If you're voting for Trump, I'd say at the very least you're OK with racism, and are most likely racist.

Balphon

No. But it may be reasonable to say that people generally have a harder time recognizing subtler forms/results of racism (e.g. institutional racism).

Sometimes it feels like people won't recognize as racist anything less overt than 1963 George Wallace.

mnannola

The more accurate statement would probably be: Most white americans would rather have a racist in the white house than Hillary Clinton.

No. It's reasonable to say that maybe there is no easy solution, and voting one way over another does not solve any race relation problems in the States, but I do think a large majority of Americans recognize that there is an issue, the problem is having people agree on a solution.

As a white person, I find it incredibly likely that those who are voting for Trump either do not understand what racism is, don't think it's a big deal, or are racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom