• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile games on the NX

Most of this is assumption based off of the rumours, and you can't spell assume without making an ass of u and me.

Anyway, since the sticks and buttons are detachable from the screen of the NX, you could play on the NX like it was a tablet or a big phone.

Presuming the NX has a touch screen (it's Nintendo of course it has a touch screen) and a camera on the back (the DSi and 3DSes all have cameras), you could probably play Pokemon GO on it.

I bet DeNA are porting a bunch of stuff over and F2P Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are being brought on the device.

EDIT> I suspect the NX will have a GPS and a SIM slot for 3G or 4G.

They could totally make more mobile-like games on it, sure.
Not sure if a lot of those games would be optimal for play on it, tho. You'd need Internet connection to properly play most f2p games

StereoVsn

it would need mobile data and GPS capability.
Certainly it's possible for Nintendo to offer such a model in the future. GPS might make it anyway.

I think there is a good chance this will run forked Android similar to what Amazon is doing with Kindle Fire tablets. That way they have easy porting for mobile devs and great familiarity for Japanese devs especially.

what would be the benefit of me playing Pokemon Go on the NX rather than on my phone though?
You don't run out of juice on your main device. Plus Nintendo could built in additional functionality.

Sure, I could see some of Nintendo's mobile games on the NX.

It's not going to be a major selling point though, since, you know, you can download these same games for free on the device you already own.

BD1

Banned
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, when you consider Nintendo's stated goal for mobile is brand amplification around its IP.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bigger deal would be if they could get ports of some of the bigger ever green mobile titles.

Could they get Vainglory? What about Hearthstone? Port of Poke TCG?

Sure, I could see some of Nintendo's mobile games on the NX.

It's not going to be a major selling point though, since, you know, you can download these same games for free on the device you already own.
True. But it does mean the NX will get more games to fill in the gaps when Nintendo can't get their cart games out on time. If nothing else, they can say they have 3rd party support.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think a companion game for Pokemon Go is more likely. Like a new Pokemon Stadium, where you can take your Pokemon Go Pokemon and battle them with other players online or local multiplayer in more traditional Pokemon style and boost their CP and get items and shit. Maybe play through proper gyms and stuff in a quasi single player campaign.

Other major mobile titles would make sense though as long as they don't rely on GPS. Getting as many titles as possible will be important to the system's success and snagging major mobile release will definitely help.

GPS and sim card would be nuts and a huge waste, even if Pokemon Go is a runaway success.

Neoxon

While I could see the NX having a GPS in it, I'm not so sure if it'll have access to 4G. With that in mind, while I don't think Pokémon GO will make it to the platform, I could see Nintendo's mobile games (the ones they're making alongside DeNA) being playable on the NX.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mobile games are popular because they're on phones

Besides Nintendo games, what would be the point?

There are evergreen titles that are really big. They just don't always hit GAFs radar.

I think many gamers on GAF would have no clue how big a game like Vainglory is. That's hardly a quick phone game.

I wonder if we could get stuff like Monument Valley or Downwell on the platform

They could totally make more mobile-like games on it, sure.
Not sure if a lot of those games would be optimal for play on it, tho. You'd need Internet connection to properly play most f2p games
Thankfully there are hundreds of non-F2P games that could be ported over

it would need mobile data and GPS capability.

All they have to do is allow the NX to tether to a smartphone or other device with said features. Which really isnt that bad of an idea, it allows Nintendo to not have to go down the road of dealing with Network providers directly and leaving connectivity up to the user.

They can also throw Street Pass functionality directly onto your smart phone as well while they are at it. This way you can carry a more travel device with you and then have the results be pulled when you log back in to your NX the next time you use it.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo plans on using what its learned from its entry in the mobile market on the NX itself.

EvetS

What if they would adopt a fork of android for the OS? They no porting of mobile games what so ever needed.

Massa

And be pirated and hacked to hell and back? I don't think so.

A fork of Linux/Android could be easily as restrictive as a fork of FreeBSD (PS4) or Windows 10 (Xbox One). The reason you can install apk's on Android devices is because Google demands it remain an open platform.

EvetS

And be pirated and hacked to hell and back? I don't think so.

And as opposed to the Wii and WiiU, which are homebrewed to hell and back? And they might be able to have a walled garden for their own software while opening up the rest to 3rd party apk installs.

So yeah.

I'm expecting GPS and 3G or 4G support, but someone mentioned that it's possible it'll just tether to your phone since Nintendo can make the machine cheaper that way.

Top Bottom