• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian State TV: By Using Homeopathic Cupping, Michael Phelps Basically Doped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

American Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps may have passed a doping test, but he still eases his sore muscles with Chinese homeopathic cupping — a vacuum massage technique that improves athletes’ blood flow. And according to Russian state television, that’s basically the same thing as using performance enhancing drugs.

The muscle relaxing routine is used to help athletes recover more quickly from strenuous exercise, and Rossiya-24 claimed in its program that it is therefore comparable to meldonium, the doping drug that got some Russians banned from this year’s competition.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/08/09...athic-cupping-michael-phelps-basically-doped/

Russia sure is butt hurt that they got caught doping.

Edit: homeopathic in this context means Bullshit medicine. It was probably included in the title to help people who have no idea what the fuck cupping is and would be totally confused otherwise. I certainly didn't associate cupping with medicine. It sounds more like some sex game than a (quack) medical technique.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Better make sure the athletes don't train before they head to Olympics because that's cheating too

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i don't understand how "cupping" would be homeopathic: homeopathy is a "process" that dilutes things into water or wax and then claims due to magic that diluting things makes them stronger. wouldn't cupping be an entirely unrelated nonsense medical thing?

Volimar

i don't understand how "cupping" would be homeopathic: homeopathy is a "process" that dilutes things into water or wax and then claims due to magic that diluting things makes them stronger. wouldn't cupping be an entirely unrelated nonsense medical thing?

I think for most people homeopathy has come to be a blanket term for nonsense medicine.

I just saw him on NBC and thought, WTF? Homeopathy is (sometimes) dangerous bullshit, but a massage (assuming it works) isn't cheating.

Whether or not cupping actually does anything doesn't really matter when you see so many athletes doing it. Clearly athletes are willing to try anything that could theoretically improve their performance so long as it's not explicitly banned.

And that behavior is itself a problem, how do we determine when something crosses the line from natural or acceptable performance enhancement into illegal enhancement? Imagine if cupping actually improved blood flow by 5%, do we ban its use as a result or accept that it will quickly become a mandatory thing.

Revolver

Have you been watching the Olympics? It's the latest fad, they all look like Dalmations.

Seriously. I saw a segment about it and it looks like they're covered with giant pimples while they're getting cupped. Looked like it would hurt like the devil. Seems like silly junk science but what do I know?

ZOONAMI

Well, there is little evidence that Meldonium actually provides any athletic performance enhancement, same with this useless cupping therapy, so they aren't that far off imo. And the claimed benefits of Meldonium and cupping are largely the same even though both of them are bs, so yeah, they are are actually pretty much right on. Meldonium was only banned at the beginning of this year by the WADA, and there is evidence it may stay in your system for months after removing it from your regimen, so honestly I think meldonium users are really getting a bit of a raw deal here.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Common sense. Everyone dopes. Russia is in trouble cause they sanctioned it.

I've seen this sentiment on Gaf a ton, but I've never seen any evidence for it. Just people saying "Of course they do, don't be stupid." When to me it sounds more like "They're so much better than me, they have to be cheating"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've seen this sentiment on Gaf a ton, but I've never seen any evidence for it. Just people saying "Of course they do, don't be stupid." When to me it sounds more like "They're so much better than me, they have to be cheating"

Have you not seen Rocky 4?

Erevador

You are correct. It may be a treatment of dubious value, but it is not homeopathy.

Xe4

Banned
It's not that they're so much better than me, it's that they're so much better than athletes that are, and have been caught doping. It's a huge problem, and sometimes the only way you can keep up is by cheating yourself.

Condom

Well, there is little evidence that Meldonium actually provides any athletic performance enhancement, same with this useless cupping therapy, so they aren't that far off imo. Meldonium was only banned at the beginning of this year by the WADA, and there is evidence it may stay in your system for months after removing it from your regimen, so honestly I think meldonium users are really getting a bit of a raw deal here.

Yes. There has to be some leeway there but still this is just Russia being salty

If you want to attack Phelps, attack him on having an abnormal body structure that gives him the ability to swim better than most other folks.

You're welcome

Here is another page which shows a wide variety of countries involved in doping cases

Russia was ranked 3 in that relay we won gold in the other night. Australia and France were all ranked ahead of them (and us). Their swimmers were all boo'ed when they came up haha. So much salt the U S of A upset everyone with gold and knocked them out completely because Phelps was a stud.

I think it's a bit close-minded to call unproven treatments like cupping and acupuncture 'homeopathy'. There's no definitive proof that such things help, but also not enough data to conclusively say they 100% don't. In particular, psychological benefits alone might make them essentially super-effective placebos.

Also, what works for world-class athletes is not always the same as what works for everyday mere mortals.

Also, lulz Russia

ZOONAMI

Yes. There has to be some leeway there but still this is just Russia being salty

If you want to attack Phelps, attack him on having an abnormal body structure that gives him the ability to swim better than most other folks.

You're welcome

Here is another page which shows a wide variety of countries involved in doping cases

I think an athlete publicly calling out someone for using meldonium in the past and blanketing them as a cheat for all of their past work is extremely poor sportsmanship though, and doesn't fit the bill for what actually happened.

platocplx

Putting a drug in your body =/= temporary Physical stimulation. this is the equivalent of getting a massage vs shooting your body up with drugs lmao. what a reach.

Does anyone have pictures of this cupping thing lol

wv74k0u.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom