• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Devastation- System Guide video series

Tizoc

These videos, by Saur (known for his Platiunum action game system breakdown videos etc.), showcases the game's systems in a very informative way.

Episode 001 Movement and Targeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2U019sSL3I

Episode 002 Hit Reactions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wAsRO19bQk

Episode 003 Weight Classes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUAB2jR-kw

Episode 004 Vehicle Attacks

Episode 005 Rush Attacks

Thanks to grandwizard for linking these videos in the OT.

Oh and as of this post, the OST is still not available for purchase :X

The Youtuber, Saur, has done various videos for Platinum's games on his channel as well.

He praised the hell out of its combat system in his previous videos, so no surprised that he made a series. But wow, the hit reactions and enemy weights videos kind of blew my mind. The game's combat is a lot more intricate than one would expect.

Saur is a legend and this series is really great. Really shows off how much thought was put into the intricicies of the combat system which might not be explicit but are just there in the 'feel'.

CloakBass

Even though I wasn't aware of all the intricacies when I was playing this, to Devastation's credit, I picked up broad aspects of what is covered here just through normal gameplay. I'm happy to see it all dissected and mapped out like this. Watching a master play this game is really fun:

WjuiA3B.gif

Saur is a beast. Not a transformers fan and this was my favorite game last year. Was hoping they would have used a modified version of this system for TMNT as its sooooo perfect.

First game truly made me feel like I was directing an action cartoon.

Monocle

Great stuff. Love this game and love how Saur cracks open deep combat systems.

His tutorial series for The Wonderful 101 is essential viewing.

Watched these a bit earlier, they're really in-depth and show how deep TF:D's system is. It's such a shame that the simpler, slightly budget look turned away so many people from the game, who were expecting something like Korra or TMNT; this game is on an equal footing to the heaviest of the heavy in the genre.

I really, really have to go back and complete all the remaining challenges on Prime. This is the last one I did in case anyone is interested. I had Saur himself comment on it! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-gsI6j_C18

His tutorial series for The Wonderful 101 is essential viewing.

I'm sure TW101 would have been a completely different game for me if I hadn't watched and memorized his tutorials even before getting the game or a Wii U. As it stands it's one of my favorite character action games of all times.

Watched these a bit earlier, they're really in-depth and show how deep TF:D's system is. It's such a shame that the simpler, slightly budget look turned away so many people from the game, who were expecting something like Korra or TMNT; this game is on an equal footing to the heaviest of the heavy in the genre.

I really, really have to go back and complete all the remaining challenges on Prime. This is the last one I did in case anyone is interested. I had Saur himself comment on it! :)

I'm sure TW101 would have been a completely different game for me if I hadn't watched and memorized his tutorials even before getting the game or a Wii U. As it stands it's one of my favorite character action games of all times.

Great fight vid! And yeah, his W101 videos are excellent demonstrations of just how crazy and deep the action system in that game is. As far as I'm concerned they along with Matthewmatosis's video review are basically required viewing for anyone with a deeper interest in that title.

Kremzeek

Thanks for posting these! I would have never seen them otherwise.

I'm a HUGE fan of G1 Transformers, so I had to get this game at release. I hope we get a sequel with a better "story" and where we can play as Decepticons too. I adore how they nailed the look of the G1 cartoons.

I love the combat in this, but I was never good at doing the interrupt attack/reflect thing with the ranged weapon. (I forget what it's called)

nicanica

Just for anyone who was curious Saur apparently lost steam for his bayonetta "Umbran Arts" videos after playing Bayonetta 2, which found such a step down in combat mechanics he swore off doing the rest of the videos.

I love the combat in this, but I was never good at doing the interrupt attack/reflect thing with the ranged weapon. (I forget what it's called)

I'm assuming you mean the Matrix-like dive dodge slow-mo shooting, and it's melee counterattack equivalent? There's actually a trick to it, it's quite hard to master it at first. Basically you have to hold down the relevant button as soon as you dodge/parry. Like, instantly. A fraction of second later and it doesn't work. You essentially have to know (or assume) your dodge will trigger focus and thus press dodge and aim/attack at almost the same time, you can't do it out of reflex.

Great fight vid!

Thanks a lot! :)

Aske

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Vehicle mode has a handbreak turn? This legitimately changes everything.

This is the last one I did in case anyone is interested. I had Saur himself comment on it! :)

Awesome video. The challenge mode in this game is sublime. No question, TF Devastation is one of my favourite games of all time. Even aside from the gameplay, we can see in the video that Megatron yells "Fall!" the same way he does in the movie; and that his pseudo-teleport has the same visual effect as the scene in which Unicron reformats him...The whole package is a love letter to Transformers fans.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Vehicle mode has a handbreak turn? This legitimately changes everything..

Stupidly, while I was fully aware of the brake drift mechanic, I only used it for races and such. It never ocurred me to use it in-fight, even though I've often used vehicle mode to gain speed for a rush attack, necessitating a 180 turn (which takes a bit without braking). Mental compartimentalization, I guess. I have to try this, too!

Awesome video. The challenge mode in this game is sublime. No question, TF Devastation is one of my favourite games of all time. Even aside from the gameplay, we can see in the video that Megatron yells "Fall!" the same way he does in the movie; and that his pseudo-teleport has the same visual effect as the scene in which Unicron reformats him...The whole package is a love letter to Transformers fans.

Thanks! It's really quite beyond any hope one could have as a TF fan that we got three amazing TF games this decade. The Cybertron games might not have the mechanical depth that a top-tier character action game such as this one has, but their visual design is amazing, they're full of great moments during their campaigns, and I personally loved their Escalation modes.

I've been telling people for the longest that they are sleeping on this game.

Low-key, I think it's mechanically better than MGR and maybe equal to Bayo 2.

parkinho

Great videos. I really must play this again soon - it was probably my GOTY for 2015 but I've still got much more to do, especially in the challenge mode.

I do think it's unfortunate that people keep lumping it in with the other Activision budget tie-in games like Legend of Korra and TMNT Mutants in Manhattan whenever discussing how lackluster Platinum's recent track record is or whatever. I mean yeah it's a similarly budgeted title but you could tell that unlike the Korra/TMNT team, this game's developers (who had previously made Metal Gear Rising) actually knew how to handle a lower budget action game.

Tizoc

I do think it's unfortunate that people keep lumping it in with the other Activision budget tie-in games like Legend of Korra and TMNT Mutants in Manhattan whenever discussing how lackluster Platinum's recent track record is or whatever. I mean yeah it's a similarly budgeted title but you could tell that unlike the Korra/TMNT team, this game's developers (who had previously made Metal Gear Rising) actually knew how to handle a lower budget action game.

Yeah I agree. The Loot system doesn't bother me MUCH, but the soundtrack and kickass combat more than make up for the shortcomings.

Jintor

I really wish the loot system wasn't in the game. It activates something in me I don't want to think any when I'm playing an action game

Saur was disappointed in Bayo 2 and is absolutely ecstatic about TF:D, and I consider him pretty much the ultimate authority, so...

I really wish the loot system wasn't in the game. It activates something in me I don't want to think any when I'm playing an action game

I have to agree with that. It's a bit of a shame, as there are tons of weapons with unique effects, but I'd rather unlock each one once and be done with it.

Saur was disappointed in Bayo 2 and is absolutely ecstatic about TF:D, and I consider him pretty much the ultimate authority, so...
Why was he disappointed? I thought Bayo2 was fantastic.
I'm still so pissed TMNT was shit.

I didn't think it was shit, but it was extremely disappointing, and as someone who tries to make it a priority to buy Platinum games over any other, I was saddened. I liked it, but it's the only game I don't have an urge to revisit ever.

It's such a shame that the simpler, slightly budget look turned away so many people from the game, who were expecting something like Korra or TMNT; this game is on an equal footing to the heaviest of the heavy in the genre.

I wouldn't say that. The game's underlying systems are intricate, but the lack of unique content is still something shares in common with Korra and holds it back from being on the same level as Bayonetta or TW101.

Why was he disappointed? I thought Bayo2 was fantastic.

I didn't think it was shit, but it was extremely disappointing, and as someone who tries to make it a priority to buy Platinum games over any other, I was saddened. I liked it, but it's the only game I don't have an urge to revisit ever.

The style of player/enemy interplay Devastation uses is very similar to the one in Bayo1 and Bayo2, but the latter made changes that resulted in combat being less satisfying in general. For example, using a launcher on an enemy that's already midair won't throw them any higher in Bayo2; it's no different from a regular attack. Which is a shame because it's got more enemy variety than Bayo1 and Devastation combined, and on an individual level I think Bayo2's enemies theoretically have much more going for them than the ones in Bayo1.

It's basically got the opposite problem of Devastation. Tons of unique content, but the underlying systems are noticeably less fun and interesting.

Me too. My biggest disappointment for as long as I can remember, especially coming of the amazing that is Devastation.

I mean, like I said, Transformers was directed by the guy who made Metal Gear Rising. TMNT on the other hand was directed by the guy who made...Legend of Korra, which was considered Platinum's shittiest work up to that point. So TMNT being bad wasn't that surprising to me.

Tizoc

I mean, like I said, Transformers was directed by the guy who made Metal Gear Rising. TMNT on the other hand was directed by the guy who made...Legend of Korra, which was considered Platinum's shittiest work up to that point. So TMNT being bad wasn't that surprising to me.

I didn't think Korra was THAT bad. AS baby's first Platinum game it's OK.

I have to agree with that. It's a bit of a shame, as there are tons of weapons with unique effects, but I'd rather unlock each one once and be done with it.

Yeah. I think Bayo 2 was a disappointment. Even more so because I had to buy a $200 console to play it.

I mean, I'm glad it eventually existed, but it felt inferior to the original.

I wouldn't say that. The game's underlying systems are intricate, but the lack of unique content is still something shares in common with Korra and holds it back from being on the same level as Bayonetta or TW101.

The style of player/enemy interplay Devastation uses is very similar to the one in Bayo1 and Bayo2, but the latter made changes that resulted in combat being less satisfying in general. For example, using a launcher on an enemy that's already midair won't throw them any higher in Bayo2; it's no different from a regular attack. Which is a shame because it's got more enemy variety than Bayo1 and Devastation combined, and on an individual level I think Bayo2's enemies theoretically have much more going for them than the ones in Bayo1.

It's basically got the opposite problem of Devastation. Tons of unique content, but the underlying systems are noticeably less fun and interesting.
I gotcha. I suppose I didn't dedicate enough time to either of the Bayos to really notice that kind of difference. I put way more time into Bayo2 than Bayo1. Mostly because Bayo1 had an Alfheim that pissed me off royally.
I didn't think Korra was THAT bad. AS baby's first Platinum game it's OK.

I like it a lot. I know this'll rub some the wrong way, but it's in my top five for Platinum. Incredibly flawed, but I never found it as bad as people thought. It had solid mechanics, the pro bending and Naga missions added some variation to the gameplay, and it had cool environments and enough enemy types to keep from getting too stale. It pretty much met the minimum standards, and it's upsetting that it's all it did, but it was still a solid effort. Especially for having such a low budget.

TMNT:MiM had no such excuse.

The style of player/enemy interplay Devastation uses is very similar to the one in Bayo1 and Bayo2, but the latter made changes that resulted in combat being less satisfying in general. For example, using a launcher on an enemy that's already midair won't throw them any higher in Bayo2; it's no different from a regular attack.

I couldn't disagree more. I know the combo video types only care about juggling enemies, but to me that has very little impact on how good an action game is. The most important things about player/enemy interplay are how each enemy type forces you to change your approach to combat, how they react to, defend, and evade your attacks, how many unique attacks they have, and how threatening they are. Bayonetta 2's system changes make the enemies more capable of defending themselves, which by extension, makes them more interesting to fight, but they are probably less interesting to combo.

Novocaine

Yeah I know it was different teams. I just had hope that they picked up on what TF did well and take that to TMNT. But the games are completely different. I haven't played Korra so I didn't really know what to expect.

I've seen more of that sentiment about Bayo 2 from the high level players, and I think there is probably some merit to it not being as good at that level of play as Bayo 1 was. Personally I loved the hell out of it but I look at both games as kind of one full package now.

Vex_

Banned

Oh it absolutely stomps mgr's combat. And I am NOT ASHAMED to say it. Mgr is garbage to me anyway. Only cool thing about that game were the character designs.

Devastation's combat will SPOIL YOU. Another beatem up that I am currently evaluating as one of the best beat em ups of all time.

Some of my requirements are that it has to withstand the test of time and then there's replayability. I'm gonna start another play through probably sometime next week or so to see if it is still tight tight tight. Most likely, it will still be as good as when I first played it.

Monocle

Oh it absolutely stomps mgr's combat. And I am NOT ASHAMED to say it. Mgr is garbage to me anyway. Only cool thing about that game were the character designs.

Devastation's combat will SPOIL YOU. Another beatem up that I am currently evaluating as one of the best beat em ups of all time.

Some of my requirements are that it has to withstand the test of time and then there's replayability. I'm gonna start another play through probably sometime next week or so to see if it is still tight tight tight. Most likely, it will still be as good as when I first played it.
Umm...

Llyranor

Those videos are great. Really interesting analysis of the mechanical intricacies. And seeing him play makes me feel like such a scrub :p

Makes me want to play the game again.

I've seen more of that sentiment about Bayo 2 from the high level players, and I think there is probably some merit to it not being as good at that level of play as Bayo 1 was. Personally I loved the hell out of it but I look at both games as kind of one full package now.

Some of the problems high level players have filter down to low level play as well.

Particularly the inflexibility with centuar angels compared to the winged versions or the total nerf of grace and glory in the later stages.

You don't have to a combo video maker to notice the difference.

I couldn't disagree more. I know the combo video types only care about juggling enemies, but to me that has very little impact on how good an action game is. The most important things about player/enemy interplay are how each enemy type forces you to change your approach to combat, how they react to, defend, and evade your attacks, how many unique attacks they have, and how threatening they are. Bayonetta 2's system changes make the enemies more capable of defending themselves, which by extension, makes them more interesting to fight, but they are probably less interesting to combo.

Just of interest, did you play with Gaze of despair equipped? Based on what you have said about action games in the past, and your mastery of NG, I think it would be a no brainier for you.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Playing the game new right now am I'm really enjoying it. Thank you Saito!

Always was a fan of Saur so this is a bonus for me.

cantona222

You're doing it wrong!

That's like going through life consuming nothing but plain rice and water. Treat yourself to the scrumptious variety that's within your grasp.

You may have a point. However, A good game makes you want to use a variety of techniques to get different results or to be able to progress. For Transformers: Devastation, I didn't need to do that. I was progressing fine with these 2 moves with a score of A or better most of the time.

Top Bottom