• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, please throw us Vita remote-play users a bone and swap L1/L2 & R1/R2...

Z3M0G

... in the default remote-play control scheme that 80% of new games are just defaulting to these days. Many dev's don't give remote play a second thought and control mapping often defaults to this:

images

As you can imagine, games with R2 as primary attack / fire are not too fun like this. I don't get why they would ever default the shoulder buttons to L1/R1 instead of L2/R2 in this control scheme. They should just change it in a firmware update.

[But after looking at more google image results...]

Wait, if you remap your Vita buttons, does that apply to Remote Play? Maybe that's all I need to do!

And can you really sync a DS4 with a Vita for remote play???:

I thought this didn't work!

Anyone know which of these solutions actually work and which don't?

Edit: DAMMIT... blocked links...
Edit 2: Ok... found images that work. Sorry about that.

Mendrox

... in the default remote-play control scheme that 80% of new games are just defaulting to these days. Many dev's don't give remote play a second thought and control mapping often defaults to this:

2wcnn9t.jpg

(Sorry, this is the ONLY google image result I could find with the mapping I am talking about)

As you can imagine, games with R2 as primary attack / fire are not too fun like this. I don't get why they would ever default the shoulder buttons to L1/R1 instead of L2/R2 in this control scheme. They should just change it in a firmware update.

[But after looking at more google image results...]

Wait, if you remap your Vita buttons, does that apply to Remote Play? Maybe that's all I need to do!

2015-03-26-121512-670x380.jpg

And can you really sync a DS4 with a Vita for remote play???:

original.jpg

I thought this didn't work!

Anyone know which of these solutions actually work and which don't?

Edit: DAMMIT... blocked links...

It doesn't work. His PS4 is just nearby.

I wish Sony would release a remote play vita that has all the buttons that is only for remote play and cost like $100 dollars

rackham

Banned
It's strange how any combination of the Accessibility controls don't function from the Vita or PS4 (in both options menus) during remote play.

Z3M0G

Hmmm... so is mine. I usually remote play from the same room. So this is still an option for me. But how can you be logged in as the same user on both the DS4 and Vita? One would normally kick out the other...

actually use imgur to rehost pics, tinypic is banned

imgur is blocked by my work so difficult to work with from here.

It's strange how any combination of the Accessibility controls don't function from the Vita or PS4 (in both options menus) during remote play.

I knew PS4 accessibility options didn't... but I was hoping Vita options would... :/ :/ :/

Unbelievable...

Nakasan

...So you can output the local ps4's screen to the Vita while controlling the action with a DS4 connected to the actual local ps4?

I don't know how I can do this but if it's possible I'd love to know how!

Z3M0G

...So you can output the local ps4's screen to the Vita while controlling the action with a DS4 connected to the actual local ps4?

Same here... from my experience with remote play this shouldn't be possible... the Vita takes over as the controller of that user and turns off the DS4 immediately... and vice versa.

muteki

Just wish more games would have some thought put into the remote play controls. For several games I'm convinced no one actually play tested them with remote play.

If it is too much of a test/verification burden just just let us map controls like PS1 games on the Vita side and let the PS4 software side be completely separate from it.

Conduit

Banned
Man, i bought Joetsu's L2/R2 grip for PSV 1000. Tried to play Bloodborne and i was surprised that you can't customize L2/R2 buttons. I tried to switch L2/R2 from bottom corners of front touchscreen to rear touchscreen....NOTHING!

YoungOne

Have the vita sign in on a different account to the one you want to use the ds4 on.

VLiberty

Vita accessibility options work in remote play...but you can't remap the touchscreen controls so is pointless

Classic sony

Z3M0G

Just wish more games would have some thought put into the remote play controls. For several games I'm convinced no one actually play tested them with remote play.

If it is too much of a test/verification burden just just let us map controls like PS1 games on the Vita side and let the PS4 software side be completely separate from it.

Yup... Most recent FPS games don't even bother. Major ones that pissed me off over time have been:

Dragon Age: Inquisition (at least it was back touch for basic attack and not front touch)
Paragon (I would be able to play this SO MUCH MORE if I could use remote play)
No Man's Sky (latest offender... :/ Game is a natural-fucking-fit for remote play sessions too...)

Man, i bought Joetsu's L2/R2 grip for PSV 1000. Tried to play Bloodborne and i was surprised that you can't customize L2/R2 buttons. I tried to switch L2/R2 from bottom corners of front touchscreen to rear touchscreen....NOTHING!

Wow... BLOODBORNE?? Come on Sony... that's just abysmal.

Have the vita sign in on a different account to the one you want to use the ds4 on.

That would require changing the user account on the Vita... :(

marcaeg

If you remap your PS4, then the control will be different for the PsVita too, right ?

If L1 is L on PSVita and L2 is the touchscreen. If I remap L1 in L2 and vice versa, then L on PsVita will be L2 in the game. I didn't test it but it has to work isn't it ?

Nakasan

Hmm... interesting that that is an option. It would effectively turn my vita into a local remote play only machine but it's good to know the choices available! Cheers.

muteki

If you remap your PS4, then the control will be different for the PsVita too, right ?

If L1 is L on PSVita and L2 is the touchscreen. If I remap L1 in L2 and vice versa, then L on PsVita will be L2 in the game. I didn't test it but it has to work isn't it ?

Nope, Accessibility does nothing for remote play :(

Z3M0G

You would think, but... :/

Hmm... interesting that that is an option. It would effectively turn my vita into a local remote play only machine but it's good to know the choices available! Cheers.

Can you easily switch accounts on a Vita? Even if it leaves your Vita games unplayable by the 2nd user? Feels silly to create a 2nd PSN account just to do this... but it could be worth it.

Conduit

Banned
That would require changing the user account on the Vita... :(

There is an also a BIGGER problem. If you trying to play PS4 games on Vita with DS4 with different acc - screen will dim after few minutes and every time you will need to touch the screen or button to heighten the brightness again......and again......and again.

I believe they are automatically swapped in some games. (I believe Destiny for example.) So it should be possible to make this work.

Z3M0G

There is an also a BIGGER problem. If you trying to play PS4 games on Vita with DS4 with different acc - screen will dim after few minutes and every time you will need to touch the screen or button to heighten the brightness again......and again......and again.

Oh right... ugh...

I believe they are automatically swapped in some games. (I believe Destiny for example.) So it should be possible to make this work.

Destiny has beautiful remote play controls assigned. The developer needs to do it, however. Otherwise it falls on the ugly default scheme with L2/R2 in the top corners of the screen...

Sony just needs to change that default and a handful of games will suddenly become playable.

Kysen

Stuff like this is why I no longer use my Vita for remote play. Its better supported on PC (surface) or mac where you can use a full DS4.

JobenNC

It's such a simple fix (obviously not free, but nothing is), and it would do SO SO much for remote play quality. Letting vita use accessibility remaps would be even better.

ghibli99

Stuff like this is why I no longer use my Vita for remote play. Its better supported on PC (surface) or mac where you can use a full DS4.
Same here. While I'd prefer using a Vita, I just use a small note/netbook and a DS4 now. Vita RP could be so much better, but it just isn't.

Pillville

I had great hopes for No Mans Sky and remote play. Seemed like the perfect game to play while watching tv.
But I found it nearly impossible with the control scheme.

Fallout 4 is another one that did it right and auto adjust the scheme for remote play to make it playable.

Peterc

It's a dead generation. Why should sony still need to do anything voor vita?

They have enough work with ps4/neo and psvr.

Vita was a good device but with bad marketing and small library. Think this could be their last one.

Z3M0G

Wanting to play Neverwinter, feels like a great game for remote play.

Need to use back touch to do basic attacks... no options in game to remap buttons.

A single simple change would make so many games so much more playable...

barit

Thought the exact same thing today when I tried playing Zombie via Remote Play. And ofc the accessibly option on PS4 won't work for Remote Play. Thanks Sony...

BigEmil

Can't you change button assignments on the PS4 system level then it should apply for remote play too right?

Top Bottom