• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Voyager is not even close to being as bad as GAF makes out[Citation Needed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Star Trek conversations come up VOY is often lambasted as the worst of Star Trek and a few wonky episodes or crew members aside it's not anywhere near as bad as people make out.

I've watched everything Trek has to offer multiple times and I can think of things much worse.

I understand it's not all positive, It didn't make the most of the stranded alone in a new quadrant stuff with the exception of "Year of Hell" and it doesn't have the highs of DS9 in terms of story telling but it's perfectly good Trek, more than watchable and skipping it means missing out on some quality episodes.

and I mean, well, it's not enterprise.

Sou Da

Remember when Janeway turned into a lizard and got pregnant?

And left the lizard children on some backwater planet?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It was on every weekday night, and I watched it almost every day. It was a good show, but the internet hate machine hates all things emphatically.

Media

I enjoyed it, but I'm easy to please. I tend to enjoy all the Treks. However I just couldn't get into Enterprise:(

I don't know man, Voyager certainly took me to the Threshold of tolerability.

and then space nazi vampires happened and I truly learned what it means to hate that which one loves

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Confession: I actually like it more than DS9. But that's only because I never liked the cast of DS9..except for the former TNG members

KarmaCow

It's basically TNG, but worse. Sure there are good episodes and TNG has some terrible episodes as well but there is more forgettable crap to wade through in Voyager.

Sapiens

This show got really boring before they brought boobs, er, boobs of d-cup, er, seven of boobs....fuck it.

Even after that, it was kind of a let down - especially airing during the time DS9 was really crushing it.

My main problems was the shitty and unlikeable asshole actors and shitty characters and development. Even the ship was an abortive design.

At least Enterprise has Trip. I love Trip. Wait, let me rephrase; Enterprise is a show that is held together by casting and character development that fixes what Voyager did wrong. Even in the weakest Enterprise eps, I still really rooted for the characters. In voyager, I had to, ugh, deal with people like Neelix, Janeway, Kim, Tuvox, etc, etc, - just a bland cast of leftover actors who had probably been rejected from every previous Trek tv show.

DS9==TNG>ENT>TOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>seven of boobs the tv show.

butalala

It's not that it's unbearably awful, it's that it's so mediocre that it's incredibly boring. It takes a unique situation and utterly squanders it in favor of monster/aliens/anomaly of the week stuff that could've been done on TNG.

Count the number of shuttlecraft that they blow up over the course of the series. Then remember that they started with two. Look at the first 2 seasons of BSG to see what Voyager could have been.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This show got really boring before they brought boobs, er, boobs of d-cup, er, seven of boobs....fuck it.

Even after that, it was kind of a let down - especially airing during the time DS9 was really crushing it.

My main problems was the shitty and unlikeable asshole actors and shitty characters and development. Even the ship was an abortive design.

At least Enterprise has Trip. I love Trip.

DS9==TNG>ENT>TOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>seven of boobs the tv show.

I think her name was Boobi Ryan.
Wait, no, that's still not right...

Voyager's worst sin is just generally being boring. When Seven shows up and they reestablish communication with the Alpha Quadrant in season 4 it gets a little better but it's really difficult for me to sit through an episode without checking out halfway through. Having to churn out 26 episodes a season meant they couldn't do anything interesting with the premise except for special occasions so it's just wall-to-wall filler a lot of the time.

It's a shame because I do like a lot of the characters conceptually, they're just failed by the material more often than not.

Voyager DID give us Elite Force, which is a top 3 Star Trek video game.

shandy706

I enjoyed Voyager.(shrug)

3 episodes left in the last season on Netflix.

I'm watching through every Trek TV episode right now. Never seen them all, so I'm glad Netflix has provided me with a ton of material.

Aiustis

I grew up watching that as a kid; it started when I was 7 and it's the only one that I watched the entire run of as it aired. My family loved it (no one in my family watched DS9 much). I enjoyed the excitement of it, but then I started actually watching DS9 and inevitably compared the two.

Really mostly I just think it's not very rewatchable for me. Outside of a few episodes (e.g. the evolution dinosaur episode and the year of hell). Didn't care for any of the characters except the Doctor.

I'm probably one of the few people here that was meh on both VOY and DS9. Though DS9 is better than VOY neither compare to TNG IMO. I haven't watched a trek TV series since VOY.

It's bad compared to all the other Trek pretty much, it's not exactly awful sci fi or TV, but compared to the rest of Trek it was a low point

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Its primary offenses are that its ideas were derivative and executed better by its predecessor (TNG), its initial premise of being stranded far away from home went completely unfulfilled, and most of its characters were poorly characterized and bland. Other than that, it's definitely watchable. I wouldn't actively seek it out like I'm doing right now for DS9, but I wouldn't turn it off if it was on and I had nothing to do.

DS9 > TNG > TOS > VOY > ENT

That is the order of things.

Ship design: TNG = TOS (plus movies) > VOY > DS9 > ENT

I was really into it the first couple seasons, I'm still powering my way through but like the previous posters have stated, it is good background TV.

Also, seven of boobs

Big-E

Voyager had two interesting characters. The Doctor and Seven. The circumstances of a ship lost in the Delta quadrant yet pretty much perfectly supplied made for boring TV. Voyager would have been better if it followed closer to how that other lost shop on the Delta quadrant had it. Also Janeway is insane so that hurts Voyager.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Harry Kim is awful. Janeway could've given him a field promotion but even she knew he was horrible.

Tarydax

Banned
Voyager had its moments, but its best episodes never even came close to being as good as DS9's or TNG's best. Even without using DS9 or TNG as references (Voyager was the first Star Trek show I watched in order all the way through), I could tell Voyager wasn't bad most of the time, it was just boring. It ended up being a really forgettable, badly-written show with a mostly forgettable cast of characters.

The Doctor was the only character I actually liked. Janeway was frustrating because she could have been great if the writers weren't awful.

Sapiens

Whoa there. You can say what you like about the writing, or the characters, or the acting, but if you diss the beautiful Intrepid-class I will cut you.

It's the Enterprise refit and then everything else for me. Voyager is just very blah...

1701-dock.jpg

The best thing voyager ever did was coming up with the term warp 10. Me and my friends would challenge each other to warp ten bottles of alcohol .

Sou Da

Remember when everytime Chakotay gave a speech lighttribaldrumming.wav would play in the background?

Remember Chakotay?

SRG01

For the love of everything that is holy do NOT watch warp 10

They declared that episode to be non-canon at one point, didn't they?

Voyager had two interesting characters. The Doctor and Seven. The circumstances of a ship lost in the Delta quadrant yet pretty much perfectly supplied made for boring TV. Voyager would have been better if it followed closer to how that other lost shop on the Delta quadrant had it. Also Janeway is insane so that hurts Voyager.

The only reason why Seven was interesting was because of the amount of script time given to Jeri Ryan instead of the other cast members. It was a sheer numbers game in terms of why her character was more developed than others.

Forsythia

I didn't like it that much. It has been many years that I've actually seen an episode, so all I really remember is that Neelix is filthy and a pedofile, Seven is just there for the boobs and they spent way too much time on the holodeck. And they turned the Borg into a bunch of pussies.

They could've done so many interesting things with the Maquis and being stranded on the other side of the galaxy, but nope. They fucked it up.

VOY >/= DS9 > TNG > ENT > TOS.

Let it be known.

Voyager had better characters with higher highs (and admittedly lower lows) than any other Trek. DS9 I'd consider an equal, except for all of the religious shit that RDM shoved in and Avery being a terrible actor.

Post Kazon/Seska/Kes Voyager is consistently good, even the finale.

No Trek is overall bad (except STID and TFF), but I prefer Voyager.

SRG01

They could've done so many interesting things with the Maquis and being stranded on the other side of the galaxy, but nope. They fucked it up.

Not sure if this is correct, but didn't the original plans call for a much different crew dynamic instead of the seemingly instaneous transition to Starfleet crew structure in season 1?

It's worse than Enterprise, and that's a feat

Latter seasons of Enterprise were much better once they got better producers and focused on serials instead.

VOY >/= DS9 > TNG > ENT > TOS.

Let it be known.

Voyager had better characters with higher highs (and admittedly lower lows) than any other Trek. DS9 I'd consider an equal, except for all of the religious shit that RDM shoved in and Avery being a terrible actor.

Post Kazon/Seska/Kes Voyager is consistently good, even the finale.

No Trek is overall bad (except STID and TFF), but I prefer Voyager.

TOS>DS9>TNG>ENT>VOY

I would say the first few seasons of SG-1 remind me a lot of TOS. No real B-Plot. God like villains. Focus on the core characters. That's what sold me on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom