• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky PC mod lets you fly as low to the ground (even underwater)

You can get it here.
1471905081_275850_screenshots_20160822183516_1-1600x900.jpg

LowFlight lets you fly as low to the ground as you want and be able to look in any direction (normally, your ship cannot point downwards when near the ground). You can also fly underwater!

This mod modifies GCSPACESHIPGLOBALS.GLOBAL.MBIN so it is incompatible with any mods that do so as well.

Note: Your ship will take damage if you crash into terrain, so don't get too crazy! ;)
I've been wondering, why is this not a default feature?
I don't own the game yet, but from what I've seen, flying is indeed too high and we can barely see anything below the ship. All these amazing mods are pushing me towards purchasing the game anytime soon (on a neat discount, that is).

SPCTRE

I am getting flashbacks to the "can the Enterprise realistically hide underwater" debate from Star Trek Into Darkness

Ploid 3.0

I hope mods can be detailed enough to give people what was promised and more. I have a feeling there will only be so much mods can do in this game though. Too much math!

I was just playing around with this and it's great. Really such a simple little change can inject a lot of fun to aimlessly flying around a planet's terrain through arches/floating islands/formations with holes/etc. Was a huge head scratcher and disappointment seeing the game just push me over everything by default.

One of the many, many things that NMS did wrong is the fact that they didn't let you fly low and the ship flight model itself, it's just boring to fly, it's very easy to handle but it's more like a glorified elevator. This at least fixes 50% of the problem.

Bashtee

You can get it here.

I don't own the game yet, but from what I've seen, flying is indeed too high and we can barely see anything below the ship. All these amazing mods are pushing me towards purchasing the game anytime soon (on a neat discount, that is).

Wait at least until next year to see what they patch and mod into the game. As it is right now, the game is a complete trainwreck.

The longer I play the game, the more I hate myself for buying it. I actually believed that there was a chance for those dinosaurs from the demo to be in the game, but if my suspicion is correct, then the wild life is generated from a limited set of "parts" as you walk on the planet.

Stoze

You can get it here.

I'm guessing because it's easier to get around collision and physics issues that come with allowing the player to hit all kinds of terrain shapes. That or they went too far in streamlining it for the player.

Awesome mod though. Excited to come back to the game later on with the plethora of mods.

I would love this in the console version. I really never followed the game much in pre-release, so all the missing stuff doesn't bother me that much, but I hate how the ship controls in an atmosphere. I want to zoom all around the place, fly under shit at top speed, land it through my own skill, but the game doesn't let you for fear you'll crash it. Fuckin' let me crash that shit if I want.

Morat

Banned
Thank god for mods! Seriously, I would find this game virtually unplayable if I was stuck with the vanilla experience.

That's pretty neat.
I feel like we need a No Man's Sky mod thread.

Yeah, we need one for sure. The modding scenes has just started, and it'll only grow from now on. I'm excited to see what the modders can do in a few months.

Wait at least until next year to see what they patch and mod into the game. As it is right now, the game is a complete trainwreck.

The longer I play the game, the more I hate myself for buying it. I actually believed that there was a chance for those dinosaurs from the demo to be in the game, but if my suspicion is correct, then the wild life is generated from a limited set of "parts" as you walk on the planet.

I'm planning to get it on the holidays. Perhaps the game will be patched further (and added more features, hopefully) by then, and the mods would be already flourished.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Sauropod-like creatures are in the game. You just haven't seen any. The wildlife, like the rest of the planet, is generated from the seed for that planet. It has nothing to do with you being on the planet or walking anywhere.

packy34

I am getting flashbacks to the "can the Enterprise realistically hide underwater" debate from Star Trek Into Darkness

The answer to that is "no", by the way. Made for a really cool shot/scene, but yeah... that's not supposed to happen.

Much needed mod. Vanilla atmospheric flight just pisses me off.

EDIT: Is there a mod that allows hovering? That's something else that would be nice.

Fuser

Much needed mod. Vanilla atmospheric flight just pisses me off.

Biggest letdown in the game, the flight mechanics and space combat sucks. How they can make space combat with multiple capital ships (which look great) and 20 or so pirate ships dull is quite an achievement.

This mod definitely should have been in the game from the start, I was surprised at how bad the controls were.

krang

"We're at over 150 atmospheres of pressure"
"How many can the ship take?"
"Well it's designed for space travel, so anywhere between 0 and 1"

Aselith

Because their ground physics are FUCKED UP in a lot of cases. I've landed on a bunch of worlds that will bounce you into outer space when you try to take off or will pull you down into the ground so that you can't take off. I'm positive the high flight is a defense mechanism.

Compsiox

Banned

I find the game to be fun. I know they lied about a lot but I like it.

Aon

I just played around with it for five minutes and another possible reason why this isn't a default option is that it really draws attention to their pop-in/level of detail issues.

You can mine those ore obelisks, for example, but only after they pop in and given the ship's minimum speed, you get exactly one shot before you pass the obelisk, that's how close you have to be before it pops.

At the end of my five minutes of flight my ship got stuck inside an outcropping. I could rotate the camera but not move and slowly took damage until I died. Despite this, I can't imagine myself uninstalling the mod, it's a way better time.

Seiniyta

I'll probably a Mod OT for NMS today or tomorrow. Depending how much time I have. The creator of the mod also has stated he really wants to implement a way to destroy terrain with your ship. So you could blast a tunnel in a mountain and fly though it.

Aselith

Tried it out and it's good shit! Hopefully someone will add a speed throttle mod too though as only having main speed and boost isn't necessarily what you'd want but it works.

I also downloaded the Expedition mod and the Star Wars binoculars mode (which looks pretty awesome!) Both recommended

Rhete

Banned
The draw in is real fierce when flying close to the ground, but it's still a lot more enjoyable than the default. Great mod

Seiniyta

I think the mod will really shine once modders figure out how to make the draw distance further out. Though it'll probably be quite a massive performance loss.

Branduil

Sauropod-like creatures are in the game. You just haven't seen any. The wildlife, like the rest of the planet, is generated from the seed for that planet. It has nothing to do with you being on the planet or walking anywhere.

Man, it's actually genius how Hello Games managed to develop a game where the Argument from Ignorance can always be used to defend it.

You can't prove there aren't worlds somewhere in the game with all the stuff they showed in the trailers!

Lagamorph

I'll probably a Mod OT for NMS today or tomorrow. Depending how much time I have. The creator of the mod also has stated he really wants to implement a way to destroy terrain with your ship. So you could blast a tunnel in a mountain and fly though it.

I'd rather be able to mine the giant resource nodes from my ship with the Phase Beam.
Then again that would also require the ability to actually bring the ship to a stop.

Dredd97

Can it be adjusted that it's on PC? Like forcing the pop in distance from .ini files or something.

I doubt it, as the pop-in is a direct result of the generation process itself.

would require an engine redesign, one geared towards a stronger cpu, rather than the capable, but limited jaguar cpu in the PS4.

I'd love to see what the engine could do if it was geared specifically to a stronger cpu like an i5 or i7 from intel.

Chev

I don't own the game yet, but from what I've seen, flying is indeed too high and we can barely see anything below the ship.

Long story short, the terrain engine belongs to a family of algorithms called "chunked lod", in which the terrain is divided in a number of "chunks", cubic in NMS' case. As you approach a chunk, it subdivides into smaller chunks. Though there's preloading and caching going on, a chunk doesn't exist in memory until it's requested. Once it is requested it takes some time before it actually exists because it has to be either loaded or, in the case of procedural generation, generated. You can of course see this at work while you're flying around, with more detailed chunks popping around constantly, but that also means you don't have reliable info about the geometry of chunks that aren't in memory.

NMS uses voxel terrain. That means chunks are much more expensive to generate than in planetary engines using chunked lod with heightmap terrain, like kerbal or elite (jumping from quadratic to cubic complexity). Heightmap terrains also have one huge advantage, in that there's a pretty cheap way to know exactly how high the terrain at an arbitrary point is even if you haven't actually generated the matching chunk. with voxel terrain you may have an informed estimate depending on how your generation works and based on lower detail chunks, but querying the exact height is tons more expensive and basically fuzzy unless you have the actual chunk on hand.

You don't want your player to fly into what the engine considers empty space one frame and a huge block of copper the next.

So at runtime, when you have limited resources per frame for generation, which chunks do you favor? The ones right under the player, which they usually do not see but will allow for flight collisions, and which in the case of a fast moving flying object will have become useless on the next frame already? Or the ones that are gonna be in the player's field of view, the ones the player will actually see and judge you game's visuals by, and the ones they're going towards?

Ideally you don't want the player flying at high speed low altitude anyway, because the engine won't have time to generate the chunks. Note how for example google earth in 3d mode doesn't load more detailed chunks until you slow down.

So they went with a reasonable solution, which is to limit the lower flight altitude to be above conservative terrain estimates. Then whenever you land there's time during the landing sequence to generate the high detail chunks and on foot you can't outpace the generation.

Wil348

It is actually possible in the vanilla game to crash into something while flying in the planet's atmosphere.....via glitching. And you still take damage as well despite the flight controls becoming more scripted once you hit a planet's atmosphere. Makes me this this only became the case later in development to, like others said, hide the god awful pop-in.

SomTervo

Can it be adjusted that it's on PC? Like forcing the pop in distance from .ini files or something.

Unfortunately they seem to have 'hacked' the engine a lot to make sure the PS4's CPU can run the game, and as a result I think the pop-in is pretty much built into the engine. At this stage, anyway. I'm hoping they'll be able to tweak this with patches.

krang

Long story short, the terrain engine belongs to a family of algorithms called "chunked lod", in which the terrain is divided in a number of "chunks", cubic in NMS' case. As you approach a chunk, it subdivides into smaller chunks. Though there's preloading and caching going on, a chunk doesn't exist in memory until it's requested. Once it is requested it takes some time before it actually exists because it has to be either loaded or, in the case of procedural generation, generated. You can of course see this at work while you're flying around, with more detailed chunks popping around constantly, but that also means you don't have reliable info about the geometry of chunks that aren't in memory.

NMS uses voxel terrain. That means chunks are much more expensive to generate than in planetary engines using chunked lod with heightmap terrain, like kerbal or elite (jumping from quadratic to cubic complexity). Heightmap terrains also have one huge advantage, in that there's a pretty cheap way to know exactly how high the terrain at an arbitrary point is even if you haven't actually generated the matching chunk. with voxel terrain you may have an informed estimate depending on how your generation works and based on lower detail chunks, but querying the exact height is tons more expensive and basically fuzzy unless you have the actual chunk on hand.

You don't want your player to fly into what the engine considers empty space one frame and a huge block of copper the next.

So at runtime, when you have limited resources per frame for generation, which chunks do you favor? The ones right under the player, which they usually do not see but will allow for flight collisions, and which in the case of a fast moving flying object will have become useless on the next frame already? Or the ones that are gonna be in the player's field of view, the ones the player will actually see and judge you game's visuals by, and the ones they're going towards?

Ideally you don't want the player flying at high speed low altitude anyway, because the engine won't have time to generate the chunks. Note how for example google earth in 3d mode doesn't load more detailed chunks until you slow down.

So they went with a reasonable solution, which is to limit the lower flight altitude to be above conservative terrain estimates. Then whenever you land there's time during the landing sequence to generate the high detail chunks and on foot you can't outpace the generation.

What the hell was the long version??

I could have forgiven the current state of the game if it just had the flight model of Elite, or anything that required some skill to make it interesting. As it is it feels like it is a child's first space game, it is so painfully simple and dull.

This mod should go some way to alleviate that problem, but there's only so much you can do I assume.

Handy Fake

Out of interest, does this also mean that enemy fighters and NPC trade ships will be able to do likewise? Dogfights on the surface will be mental.

Chev

What the hell was the long version??

Probably an attempt at an explanation as to why you can query heightmaps for heights but not voxel density maps. Though writing it like that I notice the names of each map are already indicative of the difference.

Out of interest, does this also mean that enemy fighters and NPC trade ships will be able to do likewise? Dogfights on the surface will be mental.

actually when luring enemies into the atmosphere I've seen some of them fly pretty low already.

Well, too bad about the pop in issue. I guess there's nothing we can do except waiting for a patch from them.

Shame I can't get this on ps4, would love it

Apparently, the actual modding process on PC is pretty simple, just copy and paste the mod files to certain folder of the game and that's it. Knowing that NMS is a Sony sponsored game, I guess it's also possible for PS4 IF they both want to do it. Bethesda has proven that modding on consoles is possible (not yet on PS4 though).

phants

Awesome post, thanks!

Top Bottom