• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Data Mining

Akai__

Gamecheat, a well known Halo modder, did some data mining on the Halo 5: Forge PC release. He found several weapons and vehicles (or variants of those) in the gamefiles. Here are some:

Brute stuff hinting at a Brute themed update. Could launch with Halo Wars 2. Would make sense:

Cr5AFzxVYAEhjvG.jpg:large

Anti Air Wraith:

Possibly different Wasp variants:

Sentinel Beam:

Halo Reach Grenade Launcher:

Last but not least. Spawning Campaign characters in Forge:

Grenade Launcher and Brute stuff are the real news here. I hope they are happening.

What do you think?

Moa

The new Wasps were in recent footage of Temple on Polygon.

Possible any of this stuff is left over from previous games re: Sentinel Beam and Grenade Launcher or is it all confirmed new?

RowdyReverb

Wasn't there a lot of unused stuff in Halo 4's files as well? Might have just been leftovers from ideas that didn't pan out

Wasn't there a lot of unused stuff in Halo 4's files as well? Might have just been leftovers from ideas that didn't pan out

It could be that it's leftovers from earlier in development, but considering H5's post-launch support, that doesn't preclude anything hitting the game anyway. We saw concept art from Molten before the game even dropped.

Did they ever add brutes to firefight?

Not yet. If this stuff pans out I'd expect them to make an appearance, though.

Akai__

But Brute Snipers and Gatling Mortar have never existed to my knowledge, so some of it must be new, I guess.

You are probably right on the other stuff, though.

Lazaro

Didn't know you could play around with UWP files.

This is some good data though. Would like to see Wasp variants.

Effect

Question. Halo 5 is doing well population wise right? High numbers, etc? Or has it last numbers to Destiny, COD, etc?

Moa

Question. Halo 5 is doing well population wise right? High numbers, etc? Or has it last numbers to Destiny, COD, etc?

It's doing better than Halo: Reach and Halo 4, so that's good.

There's no actual population numbers.

Akai__

Question. Halo 5 is doing well population wise right? High numbers, etc?

Doing better than Halo 4 and Reach is the last thing we heard. Frankie mentioned hundreds of thousands players sometimes, but that was some months ago.

Not sure how it is now, but since it was released on PC + an update for the Xbox One version, it probably is still going strong.

Chopper was incredibly fun.

Chopper is the GOAT.

It could be that it's leftovers from earlier in development, but considering H5's post-launch support, that doesn't preclude anything hitting the game anyway. We saw concept art from Molten before the game even dropped.

Not yet. If this stuff pans out I'd expect them to make an appearance, though.

Brutes are maybe the last saving grace for the Halo games for me. Ill take them over fighting promethians. Ive always been a big fan.

btags

Would there be any way to see if any of these files were in the launch version of halo 5 on xbone? I have no idea, but if they are present there they were either planned super early or more likely just leftover ideas that never made it into the game. Either way this stuff is interesting to see.

Moa

What happened to the Reach Plasma Launcher. I found the model-less version when Firefight first dropped but nothing since.

Anyone?
David Ellis said on the stream a couple days ago that they dragged the wrong asset in for that specific round. As you probably saw, it was unfinished/work-in-progress.

blakep267

I don't know if the Reach Grenade launcher would world well with Halo 5. You would need surfaces to bounce the grenades off of and it was a lot easier when the maps had a lot of ramps with curbs etc like on reach.

Actually, it would world with the war zone maps. For some reason I was only thinking about arena maps

Some interesting stuff here. I'd love to see Brutes in WZFF. I'm just glad Brutes are going to be back in the Halo universe with HW2. Probably means a good chance they'll be in Halo 6. Now we just need the Flood back.

Brutes are a bit boring, imo - far worse than H5 Prometheans for tactics/satisfaction.

Chopper though, was amazing.

I hear you, i just got done playing Halo 2A and just started 3, and i find them to be pretty exciting to fight. The way they just throw stuff around, the way they charge after you and yell. It really does feel like they have a animalistic nature to them. Feels very tactile and grounded appose to the teleportation and dissolving of the new enemies. They really couldnt be any more different with one being barbaric animals and the other being a magical alien race. Im still surprised they havent appeared in any 343 Halo game yet. Wonder why theres files for them.

Akai__

Appareantly the modders have cracked the Forge modules now and managed to start/play it offline. The result is stuff like this:

1st gif is spawning campaign characters (with no AI) and 2nd gif is the famous Warthog with a Scorpion turret attached to it, which made it's appeareance in Halo Reach I believe.

I'm surprised that people already found ways to do this stuff. It took 1 day. lol

Brute stuff hinting at a Brute themed update. Could launch with Halo Wars 2. Would make sense:

+

Halo Reach Grenade Launcher:

YESSSS

I bet the Halo Reach Grenade Launcher was planned for the Reach themed update and didn't make the cut though. =(

Seriously, I would love a Brute themed update that perhaps introduced some actual new sandbox play to Arena... maybe some emphasis on BTB and the return of the Chopper? All I know is Halo 5 BTB needs a reboot. Hell, the variety of playstyles seen in Arena maps needs a reboot.

Cranster

Banned
Needle Rifle and plasma repeater for example. I'm still salty that 343i ditched the plasma repeater for their own storm rifle.
The Plasma Repeater was redundant in Reach especially considering the Plasma Rifle was slightly more powerful in Reach.

Sou Da

Ok. I'll be the guy.

Doesn't this mean that this stuff is being artificially delayed to make the next content drop feel more significant?

Zedox

I'm wondering how they were able to crack it... this is UWP after all. Must be how 343i setup their files I presume.

Top Bottom