• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailaway - A realistic Earth-scale sailing sim for PC, Mac, Linux, coming late 2016

DvJh88V.gif

https://sailaway.world/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TpVCAgLqVY

Sailaway 1.0 will be out on November 3rd
Sailaway simulates world-wide ocean sailing and cruising. And since the earth is a very big place, crossing the Atlantic or Pacific may take you months. Of course we don't expect you to sit behind your computer screen all that time. When you are not online, the boat will continue on it's voyage and keep you posted of any changes.
You will need to raise sails, pull the winches, set reefs, adjust the sheets, outhaul, downhaul, traveler, vang, backstay, etc. Every control that is on a real sailboat is also present on your virtual sailboat in Sailaway.
New sailors can learn the basics, novice sailors can learn about sailtrim and experienced sailors can increase their skills
You navigate on an interactive map that can zoom from world scale to small coves, displaying deep and shallow area's, rocks, buoys, lights and everything you need for a safe journey.
Our ancestors navigated by the stars. This is why we made sure the positions of the sun, moon, planets and stars are all correct. There is even a handy feature that highlights the constellations. But this is Sailaway, everything is a realistic as possible, so if the sky happens to be cloudy, there will be nothing to see but blackness. The clouds, wind, fog, rain and snow are all simulated according to the real weather as provided by NOAA.

Brizzo24

Bust out the Crayolas and color me tickeled pink. I'm actually excited for this. I always enjoyed sailing in games.

Tohsaka

Looks really neat, sailing was one of my favorite parts in Black Flag and Wind Waker so I might have to check this out.

I wonder if we'll be able to see whales/sharks/other aquatic life or even abandoned boats in the game.

And yes, VR would be amazing for this.

Pif

Banned
I wish this game would let me cruise the seas and discover America and India using one of these:

Nau-Portuguesa.jpg

I'm portuguese, that's why.

florin3k3

I wish this game would let me cruise the seas and discover America and India using one of these:

Nau-Portuguesa.jpg

I'm portuguese, that's why.

That would be pretty cool. It Could also have you manage rations, morale and fight diseases...stuff like that

NoPiece

I wonder if we'll be able to see whales/sharks/other aquatic life or even abandoned boats in the game.

And yes, VR would be amazing for this.

I'd get seasick on top of being VR sick - making me nauseous to think about it.

Game looks really nice though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know this isn't even something I think I'd be interested in mechanically but damn if it isn't a cool idea that could be seriously expanded on.

Timeless

I just want a follow-up to Endless Ocean. What's the point of sailing if you can't hop off your boat and SCUBA dive?

This will support Vive? Don't sea it mentioned. There's already two sailing games for VR that were revealed, and seated room scale lends itself extremely well to the medium.

This one looks fantastic, sailing is the new space combat. Happy to see the subject come back.

How do you tell the wind direction, look up at the mast for a weathervane?
Meters for:
- Angle of the apparent wind with the boat
- Speed of the apparent wind in knots
- True wind angle (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is excluded)
- Apparent wind angle (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is included)
- True wind speed in knots (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is excluded)
- Apparent wind speed in knots (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is included)

Blizzard

Banned

Meters for:
- Angle of the apparent wind with the boat
- Speed of the apparent wind in knots
- True wind angle (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is excluded)
- Apparent wind angle (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is included)
- True wind speed in knots (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is excluded)
- Apparent wind speed in knots (the wind caused by the speed of the boat is included)
I feel like there should be a "realistic" method to handle this though, like an experienced sailor would use. Even if it's a handheld computer that has the same information, that's a different experience from a HUD.

*edit* http://sailing.about.com/od/navigationseamanship/a/How-To-Read-The-Wind-When-Sailing.htm
It sounds like electronic sensors feed into a readout panel, and/or you can use a handheld sensor (which would be cool in VR), and/or you could watch weathervane-style indicators on the boat. You can also watch waves for signs of changing wind.

Of course in real life, you could also feel the wind on your face.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds awesome and quite relaxing. I hope there's a mode were you can just take in the atmosphere, look at the sunset and listen to the waves whilst the boat controls itself. Though saying that I'll guess you'll have plenty of time whilst playing for both.

Top Bottom