• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft survives stockholder meeting, prepares for hostile takeover

mocoworm

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/29/13...kholder-meeting-prepares-for-hostile-takeover

Ubisoft today met the enemy and survived to fight another day. But company insiders feel that the war for control of the creators of games like Assassin’s Creed, The Division and Rayman has just begun.

The company’s annual stockholder meeting kicked off at 8:30 a.m. ET with expectations that multimedia conglomerate Vivendi, which has been growing increasingly bold in its desire to wrest control of the company away from its founders, might attempt a corporate coup.

At stake was, on the one hand, Vivendi's desire to gain some control over the operations and direction of Ubisoft, and on the other, the publisher's long-standing desire to remain independent.

Vivendi had expressed publicly its desire to get its own members on the board and gain some say into the way the company is run, but it didn’t propose any resolutions before or during the meeting.

Instead, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot and Ubisoft Motion Picture CEO Gerard Guillemot were both reelected to the board and two new members were elected. The two new members replaced one outgoing member and added another independent member to the board. The increase to ten board members shifted the makeup of the board to five founding members and five independent members.

Vivendi has a history of wresting control away from company founders through creeping control, a method that has Vivendi gaining influence through board members, instead of the more direct, more expensive method of a hostile takeover.

Although Vivendi didn’t manage to get its own people on the board during this meeting, that doesn’t mean Ubisoft’s bid to remain independent and free of Vivendi control has been accomplished. It is likely, though, that Vivendi’s methods will have to change.

That’s because the next chance to vote in or out members of the board isn’t until the next general stockholders’ meeting in a year. While Vivendi could try and win over some influence through standing members of the board, it’s more likely, according to company insiders, that Vivendi will now try the more direct route of a hostile takeover.

Publicly, a Ubisoft spokesperson focused on what they consider to be today’s good news, telling Polygon:

“Today during our Annual General Meeting, Ubisoft shareholders expressed massive support for Ubisoft’s strategy and management. We remain focused on the execution of our strategic roadmap, which has already proven successful and which we are confident will continue to deliver great results and value for all of Ubisoft’s stakeholders. We’re also very happy to welcome two new independent directors, Frederique Dame and Florence Naviner, who will bring their expertise and know-how to Ubisoft’s Board.”

Earlier this month, Guillemot Brothers SE, a company made up of the five brothers who founded Ubisoft, agreed to purchase a maximum of 4,000,008 more shares of Ubisoft, or about another 3.5 percent of the company. That is on top of the 9 percent of the company the family already owned and 15 percent of the voting rights, according to a Bloomberg report.

Vivendi, meanwhile has a 23 percent stake in the company.

Under French law, the amount of stock a person or company can hold is capped at 30 percent. If a person passes the 30 percent mark they are obliged to launch a public offer on the company.

This summer, Vivendi wrested Gameloft from the Guillemot family after first buying up 29 percent of the shares.

About a year ago, Vivendi started investing in Ubisoft shares, initially saying it was only interested in the company as a financial investment. Shortly after that early burst of investment, Vivendi said it was interested in having more say in the control of the company and wanted a seat on the board.

Ubisoft has already been courting help in case Vivendi seeks to buyout the company.

The government of Quebec has already offered assistance after an informal inquiry from Ubisoft. No formal request has yet been made though. Ubisoft employs about 2,700 people in Quebec and Montreal.

Please leave ubi alone. Sure they dont make the best games and milk cows like theres no tomorrow, but I dont want them to lose the control on their creativity.

Siege, Rayman and Zombi are some of the best games this gen in their respective genres.

Eolz

That's a weird interpretation of how the meeting actually went (look up #AGUbisoft for french tweets about it).
It was really calm, Vivendi didn't ask for anything, and nothing was really supposed to happen there (apart from asking to be on the board I guess).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's a weird interpretation of how the meeting actually went (look up #AGUbisoft for french tweets about it).
It was really calm, Vivendi didn't ask for anything, and nothing was really supposed to happen there (apart from asking to be on the board I guess).

It makes more sense in the context of the previous article.

Polygon was talking to Ubisoft senior management, and the meeting was expected to end one of two ways (from Ubisoft's senior management perspective):

1.) Vivendi would formally request board seats at the meeting reflecting their 23% ownership of the company.
2.) Vivendi would say nothing at the meeting to signal their intention for a hostile takeover.

The only scenario Ubisoft believed would actual signal an end to Vivendi's plans would be them announcing they were selling off their 23% today.

MrFixIt

I'm surprised the government hasn't jumped in to help yet. Ubi is a huge creator of jobs and there are quite a few school programs in place that are funded by the government. The Quebec and Canadian governments definitely seem proud of the company, but I guess there's a reason they haven't jumped on the chance to help.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Ubisoft will be a mobile only company in about a year's time at this rate.

Vivendi used to own Activision Blizzard, which was anything but.

I'm surprised the government hasn't jumped in to help yet. Ubi is a huge creator of jobs and there are quite a few school programs in place that are funded by the government. The Quebec and Canadian governments definitely seem proud of the company, but I guess there's a reason they haven't jumped on the chance to help.
This would require them to believe that Vivendi wouldn't create even more jobs, or at least maintain the current ones.

Like what do people thinking is happening here, Vivendi paying $5+ billion for the right to fire 10,000 people? They want to run the company and make money off of them.

Vivendi used to own Activision Blizzard, which was anything but.

This would require them to believe that Vivendi wouldn't create even more jobs, or at least maintain the current ones.

That was before companies started jumping into the market feet first.

(Was partly kidding)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is made sound like some kind of evil doom befalling an innocent company. What's at stake for the employees and the customers?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is made sound like some kind of evil doom befalling an innocent company. What's at stake for the employees and the customers?

The main presumed change will be that the Guillemots are forced out.

The Guillemots would have you believe that Vivendi intends to cancel all of the remotely risky projects from the publisher before an inevitable shutdown a few years later while pointing to Disney as an example of a multimedia company in gaming that did just that.

Vivendi, for reference, owned Blizzard from 1998 through 2013 and Activision Blizzard from 2008 through 2013, so based on their output through then (and the games released in the following three years, which is the development time of a modern title, and thus the games were greenlit under their reign), you can feel free to judge whether or not you feel Vivendi is anti-risk and anti-creative.

LCGeek

formerly sane
good company fucked me over too many times, even recently. Let someone better come in. Sick of bad ports and bad security on the pc platform. Might start buying more DLC once they take over too.

Hope they stay independent.
Of the major third party publishers, they're probably the more interesting one for me.

Vivendi did well with some of the companies they have owned for instance blizzard. Clean house of garbage and let the real skill shine.

0racle

Please leave ubi alone. Sure they dont make the best games and milk cows like theres no tomorrow, but I dont want them to lose the control on their creativity.

Siege, Rayman and Zombi are some of the best games this gen in their respective genres.

50% of the time he is right 100% of the time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just hope Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be out before the imminent takeover.

Well, Vivendi greenlit Destiny at $120+ million, Skylanders at a $100+ million budget, and games like Overwatch, while Ubisoft hasn't released a sequel to Beyond Good & Evil since 2003 and hasn't released a $20+ million budget fantasy or hard sci-fi game since the Prince of Persia reboot in 2008, so who do you feel is more likely to actually ship BG&E2?

Its crazy to me that you can start a company and have it taken out from beneath you once you set the brand and success for decades.

Yeah, I know that's the risk of going public but there is just something shitty about the whole thing.

Elios83

In my opinion there is zero proof that a Vivendi acquisition would damage their creativity and overall, the company.
Ubisoft is already as it is a big publisher focused on maximizing profits and mass manufacturing sequels.
Chances of Vivendi buying an expensive company whose core business is developing AAA games to force them to make mobile games are low, the restructuring costs would be too high and it would make sense to target other companies since the beginning in this case. Vivendi doesn't want to change their business, they just want their future profits.
So this seems to be pretty much Yves Guillemot's fight to keep the company independent as a founder and I can understand the frustration at a personal level, but the market has rules and he's not bringing valid reasons as to why a takeover should be bad for the employees and the future of the company.

The main presumed change will be that the Guillemots are forced out.

The Guillemots would have you believe that Vivendi intends to cancel all of the remotely risky projects from the publisher before an inevitable shutdown a few years later while pointing to Disney as an example of a multimedia company in gaming that did just that.

Vivendi, for reference, owned Blizzard from 1998 through 2013 and Activision Blizzard from 2008 through 2013, so based on their output through then (and the games released in the following three years, which is the development time of a modern title, and thus the games were greenlit under their reign), you can feel free to judge whether or not you feel Vivendi is anti-risk and anti-creative.

I just want Rainbow 6 Siege to grow and grow. I dont care about anything else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Like what do people thinking is happening here, Vivendi paying $5+ billion for the right to fire 10,000 people? They want to run the company and make money off of them.

No, they are evil and want to destroy the creative freedom that characterizes Ubisoft major releases because they hate gamers. #WeAreUbisoft

Zukkoyaki

I hope Ubisoft continues to fight and Vivendi eventually backs off. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here but I genuinely enjoy their games and am looking for to plenty of theirs.

Gator86

I'm not sure I have a horse in this race anymore. I like Ubi, in general, but they could use some new management. AC has been fucking trash for years, Far Cry is too rehashed to release again for a while, Wildlands looks like shit so far, Watch Dogs was a disappointment, we haven't seen a new Rayman in a good while. I'm not sure what there is to root for with the current management. I love Far Cry, but I'm not playing a 4TH/FOURTH/MORE THAN THREE IN A ROW game with the same skill tree, animations, etc.

Durante

Hmm, so the impact would be felt roughly post-2000?

Vivendi anti-risk and anti-creative confirmed.

wiibomb

It makes more sense in the context of the previous article.

Polygon was talking to Ubisoft senior management, and the meeting was expected to end one of two ways (from Ubisoft's senior management perspective):

1.) Vivendi would formally request board seats at the meeting reflecting their 23% ownership of the company.
2.) Vivendi would say nothing at the meeting to signal their intention for a hostile takeover.

The only scenario Ubisoft believed would actual signal an end to Vivendi's plans would be them announcing they were selling off their 23% today.

they had hopes for this good scenario? I thought Vivendi was pretty clear on the takeover to actually believe they would back off.

they don't have any reason to back off, right?

They haven't jumped in to help because Ubisoft hasn't formally asked for it. They only informally asked to see what interest the Quebec Government would actually have in helping them out. If anyone else gets involved I would think it would be Ontario and not the Federal Government.

KodaRuss

This is a really crappie situation for Ubi. I really like a lot of their games lately and I think Vivendi would only screw them up.

Seiniyta

Well, Vivendi greenlit Destiny at $120+ million, Skylanders at a $100+ million budget, and games like Overwatch, while Ubisoft hasn't released a sequel to Beyond Good & Evil since 2003 and hasn't released a $20+ million budget fantasy or hard sci-fi game since the Prince of Persia reboot in 2008, so who do you feel is more likely to actually ship BG&E2?

This was all before the new CEO took over and started on a acquisition spree that hasn't ended well for the companies it acquired as of late. I don't think we should look at how Vivendi acted when they were holders of Activision-Blizzard. The situation has changed too much I believe.

They are much more dangerous now then before and could completely gut Ubisoft. Unlike the Vivendi of the past which was relatively hands-off. This Vivendi is super dangerous.

KodaRuss

I just want Rainbow 6 Siege to grow and grow. I dont care about anything else.

This is my most important part of this but really the entire Tom Clancy Catalog. The Division was a bit of a misstep but there aren't many Tom Clancy games that I have not liked.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is just what I feared: the prospect of Ubisoft becoming more creatively bankrupt.
I hate comments to like this. Ubisoft are anything but creatively bankrupt. They're pretty much the most creative third party publisher out there with a very high quality and diverse lineup of games. There is no third party publisher better than Ubisoft, and this takeover would be horrible for the industry. Ubisoft are one of the only major third party publishers I still like and care about.

Yay another giant mega conglomerate consolidates power under their umbrella in order to funnel the most profits away from the workers and toward their ridiculously large bank accounts.

Capitalism so great though.

giphy.gif

Zero sympathy for Guillemot, still have some for the employees though.

Top Bottom