• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia III - Review Thread

NeoRaider

hjsbfvksjhybvdate_thm.jpg

Few reviews are out, and i guess we can expect more of them tomorrow and in the next few days. I will update the thread with new reviews as they are released, but i will not be posting reviews in progress.

-Metacritic
-Opencritic

*Reviews

-Polygon - 6/10

-Gamesradar - 3.5/5

-The Sixth Axis - 7/10

-Rock Paper Shotgun - No Score

-Gamespot - 6/10

-Kotaku - No Score

-Eurogamer - No Score

-The Telegraph - 2/5

-Lazy Gamer 7/10

-Metro - 5/10

-PC Gamer - 5.4/10

-Gadgets 360 - 8/10

-IGN - 7.5/10

-Xbox Achievements - 7.7/10

-PlayStation Lifestyle - 7.5/10

-The Guardian - 2/5

-Trusted Reviews - 2.5/5

-Digital Spy - 2.5/5

-Gaming on PC - 6/10

-PSXSense.nl - 7/10

-AreaJugones.es - 6/10

-Game Skinny - 8/10

-Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

-Bit-Tech - Recommended

-VG24/7 - No Score

-Forbes - 8.1

-GameBlog.fr - 5/10

-Funky Video Games - 7/10

-Rectify Gaming - 7.8

-GamersGlobal.de - 7.5

*Video Reviews:

-ACG - Wait For Sale

-The Black Hokage

Very interested in seeing what Austin Walker has to say about this one. He seemed cautiously optimistic from his preview coverage.

Sadly, the early consensus from Steam/GAF users seems to be: The cutscenes are great, but the actual game part is a buggy, repetitive mess.

DrKelpo

Banned
it's like a rollercoaster ride with this game... my first impression was horrible. Looked like they would take the game in a direction I didn't want to play.
Then some time went by, all those trailers and gameplay videos were released and it looked better and better.
And then early copies got out and the game is obviously a bug fest with laughable AI at times.

sheesh...

Hoje0308

Banned
Characters and theme elevate the game above the shortcomings in AI, mission variety and performance, imo. Won't be suprised to see a lot of sevens and eights, despite the fact that I think the game proper is closer to a five or six.

To be fair, apart from the story, the gameplay loop and the graphics even in the preview videos never looked that great. I will say this though, even though the story in GTA V was very stupid, at least they didn't lock you out of story missions until you finished some arbitrary number of side activities.

The biggest disappointment is definitely the brain-dead AI.

Open world games need that refined Nemesis system asap.

To be fair, apart from the story, the gameplay loop and the graphics even in the preview videos never looked that great. I will say this though, even though the story in GTA V was very stupid, at least they didn't lock you out of story missions until you finished some arbitrary number of side activities.

The biggest disappointment is definitely the brain-dead AI.

Open world games need that refined Nemesis system asap.
Rockstar is one of the few (only?) open world devs that doesn't tend to just pad out their game world with tons of repetitive, pointless bullshit (excluding something like the laughable yoga minigame in V). And even if that's the case, they do a great job of not making it stick out.

Hoping to see positive feedback. Definitely am keeping a close eye on reviews due to the developers/publishers not sending out review copies. Could mean nothing, could mean something. Hoping for the best.

Also, any news on a Pro patch? Taking a break from buying new videogames till the Pro or the new year.

ItIsOkBro

That word...'repetitive'...seen it thrown around from user impressions enough to turn me away from the game. There are some things so fundamental to good games that I don't understand how someone in these 100+ teams don't realize it was missing. Enemy variety, mission variety, etc

Gamezone

Gold Member
But Angry Joe predicted 8-9.

Play it for 15 hours or more, and you will probably struggle with the remaining parts. So repetitive.

I'm really enjoying the game, haven't noticed any issues and I'm about 4 hours in.
I am 6h in and feel the same way.

I like to do the repetetive stuff, because the context is nice. I wouldn't call this game a mess, haven't enountered any bugs. But that doesn't mean the game is not a mess to others.

Sjefen

Play it for 15 hours of more, and you will probably struggle with the remaining parts. So repetitive.

Angry Joe made a angry rant video of Mafia 3 review in progress, saying its very repetitiv and boring. And he has trouble finishing the game

xrnzaaas

The game is really bad when it comes to actual gameplay ("unlocking towers", repetetive racket missions, non-existent AI, tons of bugs). The setting is great, the soundtrack is superb, but that's about it. I've only spent a few hours with it, but from what I've witnessed so far 5/10 score should be fair.

Mr Swine

Banned
While I enjoy Mafia 3 I think this is not the direction the franchise should be heading. I do hope that the DLC and patches they release will fill out the bad AI and a bit of the repetiveness the game has

I'm not buying this game until enough reviews come out. From what I've seen, the story looks great but the actual game seems average at best.

It's really good so far in my opinion, it deals with some heavy themes not often delved into in games.

Sounds good on that front.

I hope these issues are ironed out in the near future.

I will be buying, but just not now. I don't have a PC with me atm powerful enough to play it anyway, so it will have to wait until I upgrade regardless.

Hope in like 6 months everything is ironed out bugs/gameplay wise and then I can delve into this one. I want it to be good.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The thing with Mafia 3 is that the game is so repetitive that it becomes a pain to complete after thd first 10-15 hours. I only want to complete it for the story, but I can just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. There are so many names and characters, so it's hard to keep track.

Fluvian

Banned

Play it for 15 hours or more, and you will probably struggle with the remaining parts. So repetitive.

Yeah and he also thought Aliens colonial marines was going to be brilliant, he even made a video titled, what was it "25 great things about Aliens colonial marines" before he'd played the game and realised it was shit, god people mocked his ruthlessly and justifiably for that.

Yeah and he also thought Aliens colonial marines was going to be brilliant, he even made a video titled, what was it "25 great things about Aliens colonial marines" before he'd played the game and realised it was shit, god people mocked his ruthlessly and justifiably for that.
Lol, that game actually looked dope pre release. Can't fault Joe here.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Yeah, but he didn't actually get to play Colonial Marines early. With Mafia he did.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I expect average reviews

Was always a red flag when they held back review copies

"B-but DOOM?"

AHA-Lambda

Didn't AJ post on gaf that he was finding it incredibly repetitive?

I wouldn't take pre release predictions of scores for being worth squat.

Sloane

Banned
I usually hate games with long, non-interactive cutscenes but Mafia 3's story and presentation seems actually... pretty good so far? Without the lame ass open world filler, the game could be great. Sure, there's some jank, but considering the serie's roots, I don't really mind. Pleasantly surprised by this one, dumb repetitiveness aside.

Very interested in seeing what Austin Walker has to say about this one. He seemed cautiously optimistic from his preview coverage.

Sadly, the early consensus from Steam/GAF users seems to be: The cutscenes are great, but the actual game part is a buggy, repetitive mess.
I've played like 15 hours, it's not a 'buggy mess'.
I usually hate games with long, non-interactive cutscenes but Mafia 3's story and presentation seems actually... pretty good so far? Without the lame ass open world filler, the game could be great. Sure, there's some jank, but considering the serie's roots, I don't really mind. Pleasantly surprised by this one.
There really isn't 'open world filler'. It's not a sandbox game. Everything is part of the narrative.

Now, whether you like that stuff or find it repetitive is another thing but it's all together since you have to do it to progress.

Carlius

Banned
they are going to destroy the game...sucks cause it really is a fun game despite the issues. loving it so far.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The bigger surprise is that the game wasn't delayed. Published by 2K which is under Take Two Interactive which is also the parent company of Rockstar. While Hangar 13 was formed to create AAA open world games and this is their first game, the studio has a lot of veterans who worked on the game and I really thought that with 2K/TTI, the game was going to be better than what it appears to be.

I'll be trading in the game Tuesday for hopefully $44 GCU and since the game cost me $64 (deluxe edition) and I'll be getting the $10 pre-order reward cert, the season pass will only cost me $10. I'll wait until after PS4 PRO to decide if I get it back on Black Friday, wait until 2017 or just sell the season pass and move on.

Will say this though, I played for five hours on PS4 and was enjoying the game. Yeah, it definitely lacks polish but except for the sky and day/night cycle which seems to be fucked up, I didn't have any other technical problems. Main reason im no longer playing the game has more to do with me wanting to wait for PS4 PRO than anything else. Will be doing the same with ROTTR, BF1, TF2, COD:IW and WD2.

Don't think that it's worse than 6-7 though. It's still easily playable and the so called repetitiveness is in every fucking game regardless so that's not a factor for me personally. The story, characters, cut scenes, facial animations, music and locale is what easily carries the game.

Bottom line is that like the majority of games this generation, Mafia III should have been delayed at least six months, maybe longer.

phant0m

Please add 'not a buggy mess FOR ME', because your experience does not mirror everyone else's. Shit gets annoying sometimes.

It's also annoying when people nitpick shit or have something odd happen ONCE and post a gif of it "game is unplayable"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
They aren't. There will continue to be games hyped to ridiculous levels each year.

Lmao, so right.

There are games on the horizon that will have immense hype built up by the media, and the game community.

Example: Mass Effect 4's pre-release is going to be CRAZY.

bastardly

Yeh, I played maybe 3-4 hours, I'm done with this game. You shoot people in the fucking head and they keep talking, just fucking inexcusable. AI is seriously nonexistent, and the visual inconsistencies are embarrassing. What a shame, the setting and story looked amazing.

Ladekabel

Expecting a lot of 7's after I played it for roughly 13 hours. Game is enjoyable but the repetitive nature of the main missions (feel like side missions to me tbh) drags it down for me.

Please add 'not a buggy mess FOR ME', because your experience does not mirror everyone else's. Shit gets annoying sometimes.
Did I get a unique version? People use hyperbole all the time. Shit gets annoying sometimes. It's not a buggy mess if you've been playing games more than a week.

hollomat

Banned

This.

It's just the same thing over and over and over.

Top Bottom