• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: On Publishers Controlling Game Reviews

Menitta

3rd time's a charm
As Bethesda proudly announces it will no longer provide review copies until the day before a game launches, The Jimquisition decides to deliver some hefty side-eyeing.
This news came just as your very own Jim Sterling found out EA considers him a "wild card" who isn't to be trusted with high profile games like Battlefield 1.

Game publishers have been steadily manipulating the review process for years, and when you consider how shitty the "AAA" game world's become... is it any bloody wonder?

Didn't expect another one this early in the week.

Lock if old.

Edit: Will update when back up.

I still love you Jim.

I made a thread about this a while back. Its shitty that publishers get to treat reviews now as part of the marketing hype cycle.

Catman

Banned
I made a thread about this a while back. Its shitty that publishers get to treat reviews now as part of the marketing hype cycle.

That's why I still don't really trust any reviews. Not even streamers, because they are even easier to control probably.

I mainly only watch Giant Bomb quick looks. I know their a publication like any other, but I find them funny sometimes, and they usually show the elements of a game I want to know more about if I was interesting in buying it. Don't really go by their word if a game's good or not though, because my taste is my own, and I don't think anyone can tell me if I'll like something or not.

Blackage

It's coming he uploaded a bad video, took it down, fixed it, but accidentally uploaded the same video again. Fixed video is being uploaded now.

RK128

I honestly, honestly don't. Tonight has not been a fun night for me at all.

That's the laughter of a dying brain.

It's okay Jim; sometimes things get the better of us and we make mistakes. Hope the rest of your night gets better! Keep up the great work with your content :).

He's uploading the wrong one on purpose to make it more comparable to the "rough drafts" of games that AAA devs release these days. Kidding. Or am I? No really I am. Probably. ;)

Menitta

You know in film, when studios do this, it means they have no confidence in their movies. What does that say about Bethesda's games?

I'd say the same applies in a way. Their most successful titles (mostly referring to Fallout and Elder Scrolls) are ones that, while can be good, do not launch in a relatively good state. If I were to guess, I'd say they're not confident in how polished their games are.

Toxi

Banned
People hated the trailer and hated the multiplayer beta. I honestly don't blame them for thinking people would hate it.
The E3 reveal trailer might be the worst I've ever seen for a game of that quality.

It made DOOM 2016 look like a worse DOOM 3.

Kthulhu

I'd say the same applies in a way. Their most successful titles (mostly referring to Fallout and Elder Scrolls) are ones that, while can be good, do not launch in a relatively good state. If I were to guess, I'd say they're not confident in how polished their games are.

It's starting to piss me off too. They really need to put more money into QA. Bethesda's games would be a million times better if I didn't need to reload my save every two hours.

I honestly, honestly don't. Tonight has not been a fun night for me at all.

That's the laughter of a dying brain.

I thought when you left escapist to do patreon you wanted to get away from all that stuff dealing advertising, publishers etc?

Pretty sad situation with media & publishers at the moment, good vid.

Bethesda has been hitting it out of the park with some of their games but yeah, they're pretty much just normalizing the idea that there won't be Day 1 reviews.

... waiting for video to get reposted ...

Menitta

It's starting to piss me off too. They really need to put more money into QA. Bethesda's games would be a million times better if I didn't need to reload my save every two hours.

I honestly never want to buy a Bethesda game until at least 2 months after release. Maybe by then it won't be broken. DOOM was fine, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls usually aren't.

Bethesda has been hitting it out of the park with some of their games but yeah, they're pretty much just normalizing the idea that there won't be Day 1 reviews.

... waiting for video to get reposted ...

Not back on youtube yet. Will repost it the second it's back.

Kthulhu

I honestly never want to buy a Bethesda game until at least 2 months after release. Maybe by then it won't be broken. DOOM was fine, but Fallout and Elder Scrolls usually aren't.

Wasn't Doom made by an entirely different team then Fallout and Skyrim? Same with Dishonored if I'm not mistaken.

Tagyhag

There will come a time when pre-launch reviews will cease to exist, and even people here will defend it as pro-consumer.

That's going to be a scary ass time.

NEO0MJ

That's why I still don't really trust any reviews. Not even streamers, because they are even easier to control probably.

Oh, they are. Those folks are much easier to appease. Biggest example of that is Shadow of Mordor, where streamers got early copies of a game if they agreed to WB's terms which includes not being able to criticize the game or pointing out flaws. It's funny how now I trust their opinion even less than Polygon.

Jim has been reading too many comments with the dick joke at the end.

In recent years more and more have ditched the big name sites for the smaller independent reviewers or youtube impressions. because they are often less bias. and reviews have become not much more then some shit to turn into a accolades trailer to air on TV when the game is out.

Top Bottom