• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common Sense: Richard Sherman on the problems with the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was a brilliant piece by Sherman.
Which is really just another example of the inconsistency — and to a degree, the hypocrisy — of the NFL.

Antonio Brown can’t twerk after a touchdown because it’s “sexually suggestive.” But every Sunday, on most sidelines, there are rows of cheerleaders doing the same types of moves to entertain the crowd.

The NFL doesn’t want players to do anything that might set a bad example for the kids in its audience — such as showboat, or celebrate excessively — yet it features beer ads in all of its stadiums and in almost every commercial break. Josh Norman can’t shoot an imaginary bow and arrow after a big pick because the NFL says that it depicts a “violent act.” Meanwhile, the name of the team he plays for depicts Native Americans in a way that many people consider offensive.

All this is hardly surprising. The NFL is inconsistent in a lot of things it does. I mean, most people can’t even tell you what a catch is in our league. The rule has gotten so convoluted and confusing that it barely makes sense anymore. Even the guys who get paid to make the calls have difficulty applying it.

The fact that something as simple as calling a catch a catch has become so complicated doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the league’s ability to deal with more consequential issues.
But then, when Giants kicker Josh Brown was recently found to be in violation of that policy, the NFL suspended him for just one game.

See, what some people didn’t notice about the new personal conduct policy was that within the policy’s language was the stipulation that the NFL reserved the right to impose a longer or shorter suspension depending on the circumstances of the incident.

So basically, there is no real policy. The NFL can do whatever it wants.
We play a game. Part of the joy of watching that game is seeing the emotion on display. Seeing the passion. If guys didn’t play with passion and just went out there and went through the motions, I think people would stop watching.
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-nfl-celebrations-personal-conduct-policy/
Flag me if old.

Magwik

Banned
In regards to the entire NFL not able to define what a catch is anymore, I'm still salty about the Lions vs Bears game catch from 2010.

Linkura

I don't even watch the NFL, but Richard Sherman is awesome. Great article, and of course he's right on this.

Bgamer90

Banned
My interest in the NFL keeps going down week after week. As Sherman said -- there's such inconsistency in a game that's already greatly slowed down thanks to countless ads.

To add something else to Sherman's good, long list: TV ads pushing Thursday Night Football being streamed on Twitter but yet NFL teams can't post video footage of players on social media during their games. So stupid. NBA and even MLB looks 1-2 decades ahead of the NFL right now.

Oh, to also add to the list, Josh Norman shoots his bow and arrow, gets in trouble for depicting a “violent act" and yet some NFL stadiums are allowed to fire guns when they score.

K.

TheContact

NFL does whatever the fuck it wants. Look at Tom Brady with deflategate. Let's say you don't even like him or thought he was guilty. He got a 4 game suspension. Other players are on tape beating their wives and got less suspension. Aaron Rogers admits he overinflated the ball and hopes refs wouldn't notice. No one bats an eye. Fuck Roger Goodell. Worst fucking commissioner ever. Sherman is on point.

The players really need better representation.

Its almost criminal how badly they got played during the last CBA.

I don't think they have much leverage unless all players resolve to strike despite the personal damage it will do to those who aren't superstars. Careers are extremely short in the NFL and the league is specifically marketed to focus on franchises and not players, they're all replaceable.

highrider

Banned
Its going to shrink regardless. There is no real way to separate football from the growing concerns of CTE.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You can already see it in my area. Many high school teams are failing to even have full teams, let alone tryouts. When I was in high school a couple hundred kids tried out.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Honestly an easy give and take for betterment of the sport would be to add a third party arbitrator to handle personal conduct issues in exchange for bringing back more padded practices.

Arc

Great pierce. Really like Sherman, despite my Patriots fandom.

Unfortunately the NFL Players Union is by far the weakest union in all of professional sports. They will inevitably strike in 2020 but as others have said they can't go for long when the averahe NFL career is under 3 years.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Richard Sherman is great.. and guess what a lot of people have already stopped watching.

Its going to shrink regardless. There is no real way to separate football from the growing concerns of CTE.
I think the sport could adapt to those concerns and find solutions.

But A) they're not clever enough and B) they're burying themselves further with dumb things like the celebration rules, obscene ad times and poor disciplinary standards.

smoothj

On point. The inconsistency of the NFL is embarrassing. Just being considered a non profit is baffling.

riotous

Banned
Love Sherman, it was hilarious how he showed up to a press conference in Harry Potter garb:

URxPTvk.jpg

gogosox82

Great piece and I agree with everything he said. Sherman is awesome. Wish he played for the Bears. Too bad the NFLPA is too weak to actually fight for these guys.

I think the sport could adapt to those concerns and find solutions.

But A) they're not clever enough and B) they're burying themselves further with dumb things like the celebration rules, obscene ad times and poor disciplinary standards.

The NFL owners all come from old money or are wealthy outside of the game. They don't care about growing the game slowly and healthily while sacrificing some profits. They want to make as much as possible right now and fuck 20 years from now.

In 2016 the NFL is by far the shittiest of all the major American sports leagues. Then I again I live in Cleveland so I don't even have a real team to root for.

How bloody hard is it to define a catch? Every sport involving catching a ball does not seem to have this problem.

A catch is easy to define: reception and control of the ball while in the field of play. It only becomes muddled when the ground influences the catch and possession of the ball in any way.

McBryBry

Love Sherman, always knows what he's talking about.

Every time I think they can't get any worse it happens. Roger Goodell is a freakin crook. I hate the Pats but I'm a fan this year only because its anti-Goodell. Brady coming back and demolishing the field pleases me.

The NFL owners all come from old money or are wealthy outside of the game. They don't care about growing the game slowly and healthily while sacrificing some profits. They want to make as much as possible right now and fuck 20 years from now.
Oh, it certainly seems that way. Like I said, they lack cleverness. They could be setting up dynasties to pass on and ensuring long-term longevity of the sport for maximum prosperity, but they seem intent on cratering it and even beginning to kill their own short-term profits lol.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
*Applauds*

Wonderful piece. He's right on the mark.

I defended Goodell for years. I'm now 100% in the camp where he's ruining the game.

Goodell is so absurdly arrogant that he believed he could keep tweaking the game to squeeze more and more money out of it without ruining the product.

5 years ago the NFL was the gold standard in professional sports in terms of entertainment, presentation and balance between the teams. Every one of the 32 teams on starting day had a realistic shot of playing in the SB (admittedly some more than othets) and it made the sport exciting to follow from week to week.

But now what the NFL is producing is difficult to sit through. Endless commercials, boring play, even more boring commentary, a general lack of drama and generally unrelatable players. It's been getting steadily worse every year but this year it just feels as if the problems have reached a tipping point.

Another issue I think is damaging the game is the concussion protocols. They're obviously important to protect the players but it stops the flow of the game and removes big name players from play for multiple games at times. I don't know what the answer would be to address player safety without the protocols in place though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom