• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sous Vide Steaks? Why did no one tell me about this?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

I've been watching videos on sous vide steak cooking and my mind is blown. Here's a decent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY

Has anyone else cooked a steak this way here? How long has this been a thing? I need to get a steak and try this damnit! Boil it to perfection and finish off in the frying pan with some butter... absolutely heavenly!

So have you actually eaten one done this way, or just watched it on youtube, OP?

I never felt the need to try out sous vide, since my steaks usually come out perfect, anyway.. Seems a lot of work for the effect to me.

I have an Anova. It's fantastic. I routinely cook steaks and burgers (fresh or frozen) to perfectly medium-rare. It is great for reheating and thawing as well.

vivftp

So have you actually eaten one done this way, or just watched it on youtube, OP?

I never felt the need to try out sous vide, since my steaks usually come out perfect, anyway.. Seems a lot of work for the effect to me.

Nope, have not had it yet. The idea sounds good to me though, and seems to guarantee better consistency to what you want. Definitely wanna try it now.

We told you about this. There were threads. Like that one with gaben.

I saw nothing!

Clydefrog

LOL 45 minutes to achieve that? Just practice cooking your steaks and you'll learn it on your own in such a quicker fashion.

Or I guess you could just stick it in a bag for an hour every time you want a steak. Patrick Bateman would be impressed.

StMeph

Sous vide doesn't perform magic on the best cuts of high-quality meat, because they're already tender compared to other cuts of beef. It's just not that big of a difference.

Sous vide's main strength is to cook something for an extended period of time at just under the ideal final cooking temps, letting it break down as much as possible until you want to finish it. For meat, this means that leaner/cheaper cuts see more of a difference than top-end steaks. For most other things, there are usually faster alternatives.

You should also look into super-fast pickling through sous vide.

vivftp

LOL 45 minutes to achieve that? Just practice cooking your steaks and you'll learn it on your own in such a quicker fashion.

Or I guess you could just stick it in a bag for an hour every time you want a steak. Patrick Bateman would be impressed.

Listen, I'm a lazy motherfucker. I like the set it and forget it method whenever applicable :)

Cerity

Fwiw you don't throw a nice porterhouse or tbone in for sous vide. It's strengths come from making cheap meats taste amazing.

If you are throwing expensive cuts in I'd be questioning your cooking skills and why you have a circulator in the first place.

Patrick Bateman couldn't cook for shit. He breaks down in tears in the book when he tries and fails to make meatloaf out of one of the corpses he has laying around in his apartment

Doikor

nah,

That shit took 45-50 minutes.

I can sear and cook a steak in 6 minutes.

The whole point is that you just throw it in there. Active work time is roughly the same. I usually prepare all the other stuff while the stake is in the bath. Also the time isn't precise (no real difference between having the stake in there for 1h or 3h) so it is handy if cooking for guests and someone is late. Also I've never managed to get as evenly medium-rare/rare stake using other methods ever. (like literally having just the outside seared 2mm thick and perfect rare after that trough whole stake no matter how thick)

Also it makes cooking some other slowly cooked meats easier (stuff that takes 24 or 48 hours to slow cook. with a sous vide cooker you just throw it in and forget about it for a day or two instead of having to actively look after it). I also use mine to make meat stock.

MVP

Banned
lol @ cooking meat like a peasant nowadays.

Throw it on an Optigrill.

10-15 minutes later enjoy a restaurant quality steak or burger, and continue with life.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The whole point is that you just throw it in there. Active work time is roughly the same. I usually prepare all the other stuff while the stake is in the bath. Also the time isn't precise (no real difference between having the stake in there for 1h or 3h) so it is handy if cooking for guests and someone is late.

Fair enough. There are pro's and cons to everything.

I am forever alone so, a 6 minute steak after the gym is my typical steak routine. No worrying about guests.

Season steak with salt and pepper, oil the pan
nuke veggies w/ water set for 5 mins
onions w/ butter & garlic in seperate pan frying for 5 minutes, add mushrooms if you're feeling naughty
Sear each side of steak 1.5 minutes on a cast iron.
450 degree oven for 3 minutes in the same cast iron skillet.
sriracha teh veggies, no sauce needed for steak

~10 minute keto friendly meal

I have an Anova. It's fantastic. I routinely cook steaks and burgers (fresh or frozen) to perfectly medium-rare. It is great for reheating and thawing as well.
I have that, too, but the Joule is looking really tempting. I usually cook steaks the traditional ways, though.

Protip: salt the hell out of it first.

Derwind

My world has been shattered wide open. Thank you for this OP.

Going to go pick me up a nice cut of beef after work.

Cooking a steak sous vide isn't just about ease of use or an inability to cook traditionally, it lets you cook steaks to a specific temperature throughout the entire piece of meat.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Surprised you're just hearing about this. I don't sous vide but anyone getting caught in a steak cooking youtube vortex for the past several years would have seen this. Have yet to try, though.

As this is quite common now, Tested also did a video where they tried to find out what the best method to sear the steak afterwards is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw

Never tried it, but wanted to try the method Tested used. Looks awesome.

https://youtu.be/YLS4UGD-2Zk

Surprised you're just hearing about this. I don't sous vide but anyone getting caught in a steak cooking youtube vortex for the past several years would have seen this. Have yet to try, though.

As this is quite common now, Tested also did a video where they tried to find out what the best method to sear the steak afterwards is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw

Tested sure love doing Steak videos...?

Greddleok

The whole point is that you just throw it in there. Active work time is roughly the same.

If the active work is the same, what's the point? I can get a steak looking like that in 6-10 mins just in the pan. It's adding an extra step for no discernible reason.

If it was faster, cheaper, easier or some other -er, then sure, however, it's none of those.

shira

I've been watching videos on sous vide steak cooking and my mind is blown. Here's a decent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY

Has anyone else cooked a steak this way here? How long has this been a thing? I need to get a steak and try this damnit! Boil it to perfection and finish off in the frying pan with some butter... absolutely heavenly!

You can't just boil a grocery store steak in a ziploc bag.

A sous-vide costs like $100-1000

If you want something like a steakhouse - they dry-age them for like a month to remove water and concentrate the flavor.

If the active work is the same, what's the point? I can get a steak looking like that in 6-10 mins just in the pan. It's adding an extra step for no discernible reason.

If it was faster, cheaper, easier or some other -er, then sure, however, it's none of those.

It's edge to edge medium rare-er.

foodoofus.com-sous-vide-meat.jpg

Cerity

More consistent and less to worry about. Sous vide is pretty forgiving, as long as you set the correct temp you can nail whatever done-ness you want.

If you really want to see what sous-vide is capable of, look into the roast cuts or funky stuff like ox tail. By far roasts have been my most successful thing with my anova, even a day or two over time and the meat is still far more succulent and tender than any roast I've had out of an oven. The smell you get when you open up the bag is intoxicating.

Zakalwe

Banned
I hate the word 'doneness'.

The tastes are slightly different. You should try it before knocking it.

And the technique was originally invented for chefs working with multiple dishes in situations where they couldn't always keep an eye on the steak for the perfect cook.

It's a great way to cook for a dinner party, for instance, or if you have other shit to do while you cook.

Of course pan frying can be just as good, the hyperbole in the title and linked video is silly, but so is dismissing the technique.

If I stil ate meat, I'd use this technique when I had guests for sure.

AMUSIX

familiar with the technique, and it's absurd. Just watch the video in the OP...just a complete joke of an infomercial for a product noone needed.

"I don't want to have to babysit it!" Yet he spends 6 minutes actively cooking the steak in the pan, the same amount of time I take to cook my steak to a perfect rare.

"Perfect doneness!" After your first few steaks, how are you still fucking this one up? And those people who would fuck up doneness, will do so during the 6 minute cooking phase.

And then the side-by-side shot...a rare steak on one side, the other with some overdone, practically leather shit cut incorrectly.

Sorry, but over 50 minutes to cook a single steak? You'd be laughed out of my kitchen.

And the technique was originally invented for chefs working with multiple dishes in situations where they couldn't always keep an eye on the steak for the perfect cook.

It's a great way to cook for a dinner party, for instance, or if you have other shit to do while you cook.
The technique has its place, but not for this. It's perfect for foie gras and other things that need uniformly distributed heat. It's also useful for things like chicken which have a longer cook time. But it's practically pointless for beef, which cooks quickly and should have a crust.

Clydefrog

Listen, I'm a lazy motherfucker. I like the set it and forget it method whenever applicable :)

do you look down on microwaves too, old man?

Patrick Bateman couldn't cook for shit. He breaks down in tears in the book when he tries and fails to make meatloaf out of one of the corpses he has laying around in his apartment

Cooking a steak sous vide isn't just about ease of use or an inability to cook traditionally, it lets you cook steaks to a specific temperature throughout the entire piece of meat.

The tastes are slightly different. You should try it before knocking it.

Of course pan frying can be just as good, the hyperbole in the title and linked video is silly, but so is dismissing the technique.

If I stil ate meat, I'd use this technique when I had guests for sure.

All well said. I seemed to have stepped into a topic I knew nothing about, lol. I just know how to cook a steak how I like it (medium-rare) within a 15 minute period. I'm ready for Iron Chef!

Cerity

familiar with the technique, and it's absurd. Just watch the video in the OP...just a complete joke of an infomercial for a product noone needed.

"I don't want to have to babysit it!" Yet he spends 6 minutes actively cooking the steak in the pan, the same amount of time I take to cook my steak to a perfect rare.

"Perfect doneness!" After your first few steaks, how are you still fucking this one up? And those people who would fuck up doneness, will do so during the 6 minute cooking phase.

And then the side-by-side shot...a rare steak on one side, the other with some overdone, practically leather shit cut incorrectly.

Sorry, but over 50 minutes to cook a single steak? You'd be laughed out of my kitchen.

The technique has its place, but not for this. It's perfect for foie gras and other things that need uniformly distributed heat. It's also useful for things like chicken which have a longer cook time. But it's practically pointless for beef, which cooks quickly and should have a crust.

This shows you really don't know jack about sous-vide. or didn't watch the video in full. The video isn't even 6 minutes long.

The grill part is for searing/ the crust/ maillard reaction, at most it should take you maybe a minute tops for steaks. Ideally 10-15s either side. If you're cooking any sort of meat sous-vide you will want to take it out and sear it once it's done in the bath. You'd rarely serve as is.

And it's perfectly fine for beef, though I agree that it is useless for already tender cuts.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Pan and oven, or oven and pan is less time consuming.

Sou vide is just another tool, not a total revelation. There are certain cuts, or dishes that would go well by sou vide, but this being such a neo renaissance is absurd.

Also, visit Iron Gaf. There are sou vide recipes from the inception of cooking gaf as a thing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039645

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Some really condescending, elitist attitudes in here.

I got a Joule sous vide cooker a few weeks ago and I've never had better steaks. I get 1.5-2" thick grass-fed Angus delmonicos from a local farm. They're pricey but exceptional cuts. And when I cook them sous vide followed by a quick sear, they always come out perfect. 2 minutes of prep, kick off the Joule, come back in a couple hours when the app alerts me, and then a few minutes to heat a pan & sear the steak. Minimal effort, perfect every time.

So what, exactly, is wrong with that?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't get the American infatuation with steak as a whole per se. It's not the culinary end all be all. In fact most culinary dishes are just borne out of necessity rather than having the finest cut of steak available.

Once you get into the culturally "known" as expensive, you run into vanilla variations.

I got a Joule sous vide cooker a few weeks ago and I've never had better steaks. I get 1.5-2" thick grass-fed Angus delmonicos from a local farm. They're pricey but exceptional cuts. And when I cook them sous vide followed by a quick sear, they always come out perfect. 2 minutes of prep, kick off the Joule, come back in a couple hours when the app alerts me, and then a few minutes to heat a pan & sear the steak. Minimal effort, perfect every time.

Not sure if those are from the sous vide fans or the haters
or both
Dismissing this outright is silly, though.

I tried to Sous Vide stuff but I couldn't get it to work. I wanted one of the devices, but it's out of my range in terms of cash. They seem really awesome, and the ease of cooking is supremely enticing. I will try to purchase a machine for Sous Vide when I get back on my two feet again. In the meantime, it's ramen for me!

Doikor

I'm not really sure if people realise by sous vide was originally (well the current form) invented in the french cuisine world (more specifically by the members of Troisgros family. One of whom has a restaurant with 3 Michelin stars) for cooking foie gras into perfection back in the 70s. It grew from there and has been used for a long time in many really fancy restaurants to cook a lot of different things (another one is the "perfect" 75°C poached egg which is a pain in the ass to do without a sous vide cooker). It has now recently become cheap (and easy) enough for us mere mortals to use and now it is the worst thing ever?

You can probably do anything done with a sous vide cooker without one but it sure as hell is a lot easier (don't have to be world class chef to make really really good food with it) and success rate is near 100% as you can control the temperature preciously (within 0.5C with most cookers)

edit: You can also use sous vide to make really good veggies but you would ideally then need 2 cookers if you want to make the meat with one too as you need different temperatures for veggies vs meat.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yep, Currently my cooking adventure.

I've only done one rib eye ( http://imgur.com/a/630rQ ) and it was just phenomenal.

The biggest issue i'm currently having is that the steaks I have right now are too thin so I end up fucking it up once I try and sear it on a cast iron pan. Going forward I will be trying to stick to at least 1.5" thick steaks.

I've also cooked chicken thighs and breasts, Which was just drool worthy. Pork chops are great as well.

I did attempt to cook some beef ribs for the first time for 24hrs last weekend and it seemed to be OK. I'm pretty sure like my thin steaks I fucked up the searing so it ended up ruining the final product.

Overall i'm enjoying it.

Doikor

Yep, Currently my cooking adventure.

I've only done one rib eye ( http://imgur.com/a/630rQ ) and it was just phenomenal.

The biggest issue i'm currently having is that the steaks I have right now are too thin so I end up fucking it up once I try and sear it on a cast iron pan. Going forward I will be trying to stick to at least 1.5" thick steaks.

I've also cooked chicken thighs and breasts, Which was just drool worthy. Pork chops are great as well.

I did attempt to cook some beef ribs for the first time for 24hrs last weekend and it seemed to be OK. I'm pretty sure like my thin steaks I fucked up the searing so it ended up ruining the final product.

Overall i'm enjoying it.

Yeah I had that issue with stakes. Ended up having to a little farther away to actual butchers shop to get whatever cuts as thick as I want as the local supermarket has everything pre cut to way too thin (which are easier to cook the traditional way)

I can make a "perfect" steak on a grill or in a broiler but it's still better sous vide. Source: Been an amateur chef for 30 years.

Gibbo

I have an annova sous vide which I've been using for about 6 months. It is amazing. Really takes all the guess work out of cooking

snacknuts

we all knew her

Nothing. I got an Anova in January and I absolutely love it.

robotrock

Banned
Man, every few months I'll go on a Youtube binge and watch everything Sous Vide, but then never take the steps to getting my own set up.

I need to check this out.

People saying "lol" dont understand why it is better (or at least worthwhile) to do it this way in the first place

Also, seeing the word "boil" mentioned in this thread means many are missing the point. If you boil the meat you are going to have a the most horrible end result you have ever seen.

Wiseblood

How are you liking the Joule? Have you used other circulators before it? Been waiting weeks for my pre-order to ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom