• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition (NA): there will not be any pre-orders

maxcriden

Release date
JP/AUS: November 10, 2016 (2016-11-10)
NA/EU: November 11, 2016 (2016-11-11)[/b]

Nintendo specifically told me they aren't doing preorders. So that's why they haven't started yet, because they aren't going to on an official level.

I reached out to mollipen via PM and was given some additional info (I'm posting all this with their permission, of course!):

mollipen said:
Sure, if you want. This is what happened, if you want to include it:

Basically, I was at a recent hands-on event here in Los Angeles for upcoming Nintendo releases, and one of the things they were showing off was the NES Classic Edition. I specifically brought up the whole pre-order situation, and how I—speaking as a fan, not media—was really frustrated at the communication that had gone on about buying the device, and confusion over how or when consumers can pre-order or secure one. I was told by the Nintendo rep (with PR present) that Nintendo simply wasn't going to be doing preorders for the device, and that's it be a "buy it on day one" kind of thing.

My personal recommendation: if you want the NES Classic Edition, call your local gaming or other store before that day. See when they will start selling (midnight? day of?) and if they're not accepting any pre-orders go when they start selling and purchase it there.

If you want to try your luck online, there is a tracker with browser alerts here:

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nesclassicmini/

As another poster pointed out, some people do have off for Veteran's Day, which might make getting one more difficult than on a regular workday.

--

Regarding pre-orders, only Target and T'R'U have offered pre-orders in America. These were open for a brief time and the window has long since closed. Nintendo usually dictates when preorders begin for their products.

Wait...since when did Nintendo dictate pre-orders? Isn't that up to the store to decide?

Side note: I was able to pre-order one at Target.com

I'm guessing this is to try and make sure there's enough supply for people to go out and buy it day one...I'm not sure that's good for overall sales, though

And since it's not in the OP:

Release date
JP/AUS: November 10, 2016 (2016-11-10)
NA/EU: November 11, 2016 (2016-11-11)

Persona7

Banned
Pretty sure stores have already sold pre-orders and Nintendo doesn't control this in any way. Maybe they are not being direct about allotment numbers and nobody wants to risk losing customers by relying on Nintendo.

georly

This is truly just another 'endcap' / as-seen-on-tv type product, and not being marketed or released as something for game fans. It'll just 'be' on store shelves and you'll grab it if you see it.

Plum

Wait what, so my pre-order on Amazon is defunct or something? I'm horribly confused.

EDIT: Didn't read, seems this is only affecting NA.

maxcriden

Wait...since when did Nintendo dictate pre-orders? Isn't that up to the store to decide?

Evidence: I pre-ordered one at Target

Nintendo usually officially dictates preorders and when they begin.

Target is the exception in this case. They are the only NA retailer that offered pre-orders, and that window closed a while back.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thankfully I got a Target preorder in time.

Pajamas

Glad I was able to snag a preorder through Target, although I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled for an unknown reason.

It make sense.

What better way to release a nostalgia system than by releasing it in a nostalgic way -- no preorders, no online sales and available exclusively at Sears and Montgomery Ward?

ghibli99

My PS4 Pro will do a good job distracting me from this frustrating situation. I will definitely still try to buy one next week, though.

This is a different sort of product, and not Nintendo's usual M.O., so I don't expect any such thing to happen for Switch, FWIW.

You're very likely correct, but I have to prepare for the worst now, because if it actually happens and I'm not mentally ready for it, I'm probably going to be a very grumpy man for the first few months of 2017!

PrankT

The remote cord length already soured me on the whole ordeal. No pre-order makes it easier to hold off.

madmook

Hopefully these things are easy as shit to manufacture and they have a lot available on launch day. I'm gonna be pissed if I can't walk into a Best Buy on Friday and pick one up.

PSFan

Nintendo usually officially dictates preorders and when they begin.

Target is the exception in this case. They are the only NA retailer that offered pre-orders, and that window closed a while back.

Yeah, even Gamestop is not taking preorders. I was there last week getting a Volcarona code and somebody was asking the manager about it and he said no preorders and it will be first come, first served. I'm not planning on getting one either.

Guevara

So, what, should I just swing by the kiosk in the mall that also sells remote-controlled helicopters and shit?

rp.1109.nn3.2.jpg

Yup, couldn't pre-order at Gamestop or on Amazon, and didn't try at Target because I didn't see any of their little pre-order cards out.

This sucks. I'm just going to try Amazon on day one since I'll be out of town, or I'd roll into Gamestop since I'm off on Veteran's Day.

I don't know why Nintendo insists on making it harder for me to access their stuff. Like fuck, man, I want to give you money. It's not that hard to convince me to do so. And yet...

If Nintendo dictates pre-orders, why did Target offer them?

Target probably jumped the gun.

They've been putting a new, temporary $60 hold on my bank account every week for the past two months, as I think they're trying to cancel as many pre-orders as possible, due to likely over-estimating their allocation.

Just my speculation though.

Somnid

When you're getting anxiety reading retail employee speculation in a Reddit thread about when exactly preorders will go up and everyone lines up anyway to scalp their pre-order, there's not really any point in doing preorders, you've just moved the problem forward and made it more obscure.

AdanVC

ButWhy.gif

This has me worried about how NoA is gonna handle the Nintendo Switch release... I can already picture an absolute mess, stock issues and tons of scalpers selling NS three times more expensive.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
ButWhy.gif

This has me worried about how NoA is gonna handle the Nintendo Switch release... I can already picture an absolute mess, stock issues and tons of scalpers selling NS three times more expensive.

Switch isn't Black Friday bait.

When you're getting anxiety reading retail employee speculation in a Reddit thread about when exactly preorders will go up and everyone lines up anyway to scalp their pre-order, there's not really any point in doing preorders, you've just moved the problem forward and made it more obscure.

Nonsense.

Nintendo could easily have every retailer in NA open up online or in-store pre-orders on a single set day for a limited period of time (say, 4 hours). Anyone who pre-orders during this time is guaranteed a unit. Limit it to one item per family.

This should not be difficult. NoA has been operating in America for close to 35 years. It's time to figure this shit out.

The main reason I think they're not taking pre-sales for the NES Classic is to make sure they have an insane amount of units ready for Black Friday, so in that sense, I guess I understand why they're doing this. But man, it's an incredibly frustrating ordeal for consumers.

It's not like I would've been able to anyway since I'm going to NYC the day it releases.

Something tells me it may take a little while to pick one up; I highly doubt any will be left at the Nintendo World Store by the time I get there, haha.

mollipen

To be clear, that's what a Nintendo rep told me in person. However it contradicts what may or may not have already happened at retailers, I don't know the deeper details of all of that.

Not knowing the ins and outs of retail, my guess is that this means that Nintendo is not making any promises on stock numbers due to the pre-orders any particular outlets take, or any other things to give those stores assurances in how many they can promise. My assumption is that places like Target that did pre-orders either jumped the gun, or knew they'd be getting stock either way and allowed for X amount of units to be claimed for ahead of release.

Also, you can change the "their" to "her" in terms of permission if you want. Also god my grammar screw-up in that one bolded part. *heh*

Great, it'll be the product that people fight over and get ripped off for during the Christmas holiday.

See, it's shit like this that makes me not like them too much. Great games, no doubt, but Nintendo can be really unfriendly sometimes.

Top Bottom