• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 Pro owner needs to play Ratchet and Clank

leng jai

Pics stolen from felipepl:

ratchet_clank_20161114er6s.png

ratchet_clank_2016111nurbh.png

ratchet_clank_2016111harn8.png

ratchet_clank_201611174ozq.png

ratchet_clank_20161112qrvm.png

ratchet_clank_2016111o9las.png

It was already gorgeous on the OG PS4 but now the IQ is incredible as well, we're finally starting to approach Toy Story graphics the big PS2 promised us. Unfortunately it's only 30fps but I have to say it's one of the smoothest feeling 30fps titles around. The game itself is very good as well so it's not like it's all graphics and nothing else.

Honestly just buy it, it's cheap on PSN right now anyway.

BHK3

Banned
I haven't liked them since the PS2 days, they've gotten smaller and smaller and the gameplay has suffered immensely in exchange for graphics.

Pics stolen from felipepl:

ratchet_clank_20161114er6s.png

ratchet_clank_2016111nurbh.png

ratchet_clank_2016111harn8.png

ratchet_clank_201611174ozq.png

ratchet_clank_20161112qrvm.png

ratchet_clank_2016111o9las.png

It was already gorgeous on the OG PS4 but now the IQ is incredible as well, we're finally starting to approach Toy Story graphics the big PS2 promised us. Unfortunately it's only 30fps but I have to say it's one of the smoothest feeling 30fps titles around. The game itself is very good as well so it's not like it's all graphics and nothing else.

Honestly just buy it, it's cheap on PSN right now anyway.

First thing I did when my KS8000 arrived today. The HDR is just mind blowing with this game on top of the already amazing visuals and 4k.

It will be the showscase-to-your-friends-title for a while i think. Especially for 1080P screen owners. Maybe also for 4K tv owners.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I haven't liked them since the PS2 days, they've gotten smaller and smaller and the gameplay has suffered immensely in exchange for graphics.
I disagree.

Going back to the original PS2 game, for comparison sake, the core mechanics suck compared to the latest game. The controls are slippery, using weapons isn't great and it just doesn't feel all that good to play. I never liked the way the older games played, though, but it was more acceptable back in the day.

The new one, while only 30fps, features more responsive controls and much BETTER control overall.

Just one opinion, though.

It will be the showscase-to-your-friends-title for a while i think. Especially for 1080P screen owners. Maybe also for 4K tv owners.

So it gets a noticeable boost even on 1080p displays? Is it that much better for people without 4K/HDR?

I have it and finished it, but curious if it's worth reinstalling when I have a 1080p display.

murgo

I played it for a couple of minutes and I was blown away. Already platinumed it though, so I won't play it again.

elfinke

Phew... /fans self.

Almost made me buy a PS4Pro just for this. I'd love to see it downsampled to 1080P on my projector. The original release was a looker on the PJ, this must be pretty glorious.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's the first game I tried out on the Pro, R&C looks stunning with HDR turned on.

Same. It was a good looking game anyway, but it did look super sexy on the Pro. I'm going to enjoy hunting down my platinum trophy with this Pro support.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, it's pretty damn gorgeous. It was gorgeous on the standard PS4, but it looks absolutely beautiful at 4K on the Pro. I was blown away, and I'll be revisiting it again once I clear out some other games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which I put off playing until I got the Pro.

I wholeheartedly disagree. A Crack in Time is the next biggest game in the series after Up Your Arsenal. The gameplay in ACIT is the most polished, refined, and perfected R&C gameplay. The hoverboots are game changing, and actually made Ratchet only sections a blast to play, the controls were tighter and more responsive than they ever were in the PS2 titles, and unlike Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and Into the Nexus, A Crack in Time added large outer space areas with moons to explore, and a larger arena than what was in the other titles on PS3. It had the graphics and the gameplay. Outside of the framerate being 30 instead of 60, Insomniac put in some of their best work. The humor in ACIT is also the best in the series. Personally, Up Your Arsenal is probably my favorite, but A Crack in Time is a superb next gen Ratchet and Clank game. The PS4 retelling of the original is fantastic as well, even if it is a more stripped down version of the game. At $40 when it released, it was a fantastic price for a wonderful game. Insomniac hasn't lost its touch when it comes to R&C. I would love to see them port the PS3 titles over the PS4 as well. They're already gorgeous so keep the graphics engine, just port with with support for 4K and 60fps, and it'd be a dream come true.

Peterthumpa

Yeah, and just to be clear - these are not photo mode pics were extra AA is added. This is just the game and the Share button doing its thing. It looks like that in real time.

PS: interesting thing - also played it using a different HDMI port from my TV, which does not support 4K @ 60hz. This makes the TV send a signal to my PS4 that the input used is only 1080p. Booted Ratchet, and the Pro supersampled the 1080p image, while my TV upscaled it to fit the screen. I might say that it was almost as good looking.

People with 1080p are NOT losing anything considerable here. This is simply astonishing.

So it gets a noticeable boost even on 1080p displays? Is it that much better for people without 4K/HDR?

I have it and finished it, but curious if it's worth reinstalling when I have a 1080p display.

Oh yes. The game always looked good but it was a bit jaggy and there was shimmering in the distance (buildings and stuff). No more. it's CLEAN.

DieH@rd

Banned

New one has a big campaign and gameplay is fun and very varied. Give it a chance, this one is a great game.

Atolm

I bought it recently and this was my first time playing it and I seriously had a few "Pixar moments". Dunno how it compares to OG PS4 though.

SlickVic

That looks great. Would be nice to have a few shots of the same scenes running on the regular PS4 just to appreciate the full difference.

NightOnyx

Getting my Pro today. Didn't know this was only $20. I'll pick it up, I want something that shows off the Pro for 1080P.

What's the current price for the game on average. Not the biggest fan of the franchise but seems to have gotten the most pro enhancements.

zoukka

I just hate the motion blur in camera turning. With Pro and the crazy IQ it's even more jarring when you can't see shit. I avoid turning the camera whenever possible.

Didnt they upgrade the visuals for OG PS4 also with the latest patch?

I think IQ improved there too.

For some it was a downgrade.

Ferr986

I dunno, I've been looking pics and videos and yeah it looks crisp, but it already looks so in base PS4.

Not hating on PRO, I'm actually debating on getting one because I have a good trading offer in hands, but I can't decide because I don't see this huge difference in these comparisons.

SoulUnison

Banned
I've been out of the R&C loop since Tools Of Destruction.
I remember reading that the series switched to 30 FPS and it hurt it badly.

Is the remake back to 60 FPS?

harz-marz

I disagree.

Going back to the original PS2 game, for comparison sake, the core mechanics suck compared to the latest game. The controls are slippery, using weapons isn't great and it just doesn't feel all that good to play. I never liked the way the older games played, though, but it was more acceptable back in the day.

The new one, while only 30fps, features more responsive controls and much BETTER control overall.

Hi John are DF going to look at this game in depth? Would love to see it compared to both the original on PS4 and the patched PS4 version

I've been out of the R&C loop since Tools Of Destruction.
I remember reading that the series switched to 30 FPS and it hurt it badly.

Is the remake back to 60 FPS?

No, it's still 30 FPS, but it's stable and has good motion blur. I think it looks great, even if 60 is ideal.

Lucifon

The game looks stunning when still but the motion blur when turning is absolutely horrible. I don't remember it being like this on the OG PS4 but I've sold my original so can't compare. I'm not sure I can play the game with the blur like that, it really is off-putting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I disagree.

might we possibly hope for a retro video on R&C....?

Dantero

The only thing I remember about this game is the Superbunnyhop review talking about the story making absolutely no sense just so people still had a reason to watch the movie.
And it being 30fps.
Don't really want to support decisions like those.

SpokkX

yes it does look amazing.

Even compared to my PC, which is way more powerful than even pro, this is some impressive stuff

Too bad the framerate is only 30 fps

Mington

Its half price at the moment in the EU but can't help but feel this'll be a PS+ game at some point. I've got such a huge backlog i don't want to risk picking this up as i doubt i'd get around to playing it in the next 6 months

Top Bottom