• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun and Moon in HD looks pretty decent

wwm0nkey

Someone made a mock up video of Pokemon Stars using the citra emulator and the results are amazing.

Here is the full video

Here is the battle part

I really am hoping the rumors of the Star version are true because I am loving Sun and Moon and will totally double dip if it looks this good (which it probably will because of better textures)

EDIT: The lines are removed because it causes a lot of visual glitches

wwm0nkey

It looks nice as an emulated upscale, but does it really look "absolutely insane"?

Compared to what I am seeing on this 240p screen? Yeah it looks really impressive, not to say Sun and Moon looks bad, this just looks a lot better

Jeffrey

'insane' would be a stretch, because lets be honest this looks like a gamecube game :p

I do think ill hold off on pokemon until switch is out though. Too many other games to play, and best to wait for the best version (I've heard some performance problems on 3ds too)

namabiiru

The battle scenes looked like a cartoon. Fantastic stuff. Can't wait for Pokemon Stars / Pokemon Eclipse on the Switch!! :)

Jeffrey

does the 3ds base game have motion blur like in the emulator? You notice it when that dude throws a pokeball.

really nice effect.

Now I just hope that the textures will be of a higher resolution too. And that they finally use some bilinear filtering. I can't understand why they still use unfiltered textures.

But yeah, it does look nice in HD rendering resolutions. Here's hoping that Pokémon Stars for Switch is actually true.

entremet

Temper your expectation for GameFreak. They're not technical wizards at all.

Although Sun and Moon looks great given their pedigree. Not being optimized for framerate for the n3DS is a shame.

A lot of the textures and UI are really pixelated, which makes sense.

Makes me excited to see what Stars actually ends up looking like, and the eventually gen 8 games.

wwm0nkey

Temper your expectation for GameFreak. They're not technical wizards at all.

Although Sun and Moon looks great given their pedigree. Not being optimized for framerate for the n3DS is a shame.

I mean the models are around 12k tris each, not saying they are amazing but they are putting pretty dense models in this which is why we get the drops

DrArchon

The amount of pixelation on the main character's shirt collar looks really rough, but I'd imagine that a Switch version would have all of that kind of stuff cleaned up.

Berordn

The lineless models look kind of awkward as they are right now, but with a slightly darker palette and improved lighting, they'd look just fine.

Pretty sure the style they chose is related to readability on the 3DS.

LewieP

So many 3DS games look amazing when rendered at higher resolutions, and viewed on a better display.

Can't wait to see what Nintendo firing on all cylinders on the Switch will be like.

It looks nice as an emulated upscale, but does it really look "absolutely insane"?

It's not an upscale, it's being natively rendered at higher resolutions.

Agreed that lack of outlining effect is missed, but I do think this generally looks pretty good.

The eventual Switch-exclusive Pokemon game is likely to look even better than this. Moving up to the Switch's rumored 720p resolution and having plenty more processing and graphics headroom, I can imagine animations being even more sophisticated across the board and and lighting and effects being far more impressive.

Sun/Moon's the first Pokemon generation I've ever gotten into past Gen 1 (I've bought into one version from every Gen since, with the sole exception of Gen 3). Always wanted it to move up to console like quality, and Sun/Moon, IMO, is the closest it's come yet! Since it seems that Switch will act as a dual successor to the 3DS and WiiU, pretty excited to see how GameFreak/The Pokemon Company take advantage of the higher spec and bigger screen. I kind of imagine that perhaps the first game we'll see after Sun/Moon will either be a "Version 2" or 3rd variant before we move to a full-on Switch game, but given Sun/Moon's design feeling a bit more contemporary from my perspective as a casual fan, I'm very excited to see where the first Switch-only Pokemon game goes.

alexbull_uk

Looks pretty good considering it's a 240p game scaled way up.

Gives me hope that the Switch version will be good looking.

Aters

I don't want to sound mean, but do Nintendo fans play games on any other systems? Sun/Moon graphic sure looks nice in Game Freak standard, but what's insane about it?

trixx

I don't want to sound mean, but do Nintendo fans play games on any other systems? Sun/Moon graphic sure looks nice in Game Freak standard, but what's insane about it?

insane is exaggeration but it looks great especially if you've looked at the game hours at a time on 3ds. Most important thing is performance and the performance is quite poor.

The idea of calling this Stars when the Sun is already a Star just makes my head hurt so much.
SUN = MOON = ECLIPSE, how could they get it so wrong?

Nanashrew

Banned

Yes?

It looks good, not insane, but would be even better with outlines.

Neoxon

Now I feel vindicated in waiting for Pokémon Stars. Hopefully Game Freak delivers the goods for the actual game.

Either way, impressive work on the part of the emulator & whoever put the videos together.

LotusHD

Banned
The idea of calling this Stars when the Sun is already a Star just makes my head hurt so much.
SUN = MOON = ECLIPSE, how could they get it so wrong?

I mean yea, it's the better name, but at the very least,
it can still reference the likely third legendary Necrozma, who has a star pattern on the back of its head.

Top Bottom