• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Steep season pass.... it's bad

Buggy Loop

This is a season pass that even a popular big AAA franchise would have trouble convincing gamers to buy, but for a new franchise with more or less good impressions from the open beta?

20$ for :
Costumes?
And they're keeping sports away from the 60$ winter game?

Is ubi for real?

https://youtu.be/3sh1nCvJ_FM

Trace

Banned
This is a season pass that even a popular big AAA franchise would have trouble convincing gamers to buy, but for a new franchise with more or less good impressions from the open beta?

20$ for almost only costumes? And they're keeping sports away from the 60$ winter game?

Is ubi for real?

https://youtu.be/3sh1nCvJ_FM

Yea that's kinda wtf. "We're making a game with a bunch of cool winter sports. BTW four of the sports are DLC". The fuck? You should never be adding sports with DLC, just adding maps/areas for existing sports.

KORNdoggy

Didn't ubi recently say they didn't want to lock a complete experience behind DLC in their games anymore?

I'd argue the actual sports in a sports game being paid for DLC is exactly that. Knew it was too good to be true.

calder

I almost respect games that so obviously don't have a real hook for season passes and don't even half try convincing the consumers otherwise.

That's Steep, alright.

mBSUOF9.jpg

z3vc4Gn.jpg

DLLyO0J.jpg

Vwe1ERS.jpg

Ubi gonna Ubi
L2jsxfT.gif

Can someone provide a rundown of what you get with the base game? Besides the costumes it looks like at least 5 game modes (nighttime, base jumping, rocket gliding, sledding, speed gliding) are locked behind the DLC.

Also, what are 'steep credits,' this game has f2p microtransactions? You need to buy, with actual money, 'helicopter tickets' to start your avatar at a desired spot on the mountain? The fuck...?

atr0cious

Was kind of interested in this game, maybe grabbing it for cheap next year, but now I'm gonna treat it like the crew and wait til I can get a bundle for all the dlc and base game for less than the MSRP on the game. Just way too much splintering of gameplay, sports should be free and just focus on cosmetics, events, and more places to do the sports.

ViciousDS

Banned
Probably just to get whatever investment they can out of it.

I wouldn't even have known it released yesterday if some kid didn't pick it up when I was picking up FFXV.

The beta was absolutely terrible and wasn't any more fun since the alpha. The game is going to bomb

SilentRob

If I've seen that right it's 4 packs - 2 with costumes and challenges, 1 with one new Sport (sled), costumes and challenges and 1 with three new Sports (Rocket Wings, Base Jump, Speed Gliding) and challenges.

To me, that seems pretty normal and substantial for 20 bucks compared to other Season Passes? It's defintely not "almost only costumes". The new sports seem to be the big draw here.

Can someone provide a rundown of what you get with the base game? Besides the costumes it looks like at least 5 game modes (nighttime, base jumping, rocket gliding, sledding, speed gliding) are locked behind the DLC.

Also, what are 'steep credits,' this game has f2p microtransactions? You need to buy, with actual money, 'helicopter tickets' to start your avatar at a desired spot on the mountain? The fuck...?

Night time is a separate mode in DLC? You couldn't even make this shit up if you tried.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
It's a bad game. Do yourself a favor and just gamefly it or just avoid it entirely.

The game is already bad and not fun and it seems like Ubi never cared for it.

Seems like a bad base game that would benefit from another year of development. It just feels sluggish.

I like how buying a helicopter ticket to get to where you want to go is a thing.

Otherwise trudge your plebe arse up that hill, you peasants!

Stop being poor!

DocSeuss

I am glad that Ubisoft is making their DLC cosmetic only. I feel that's a smart choice. Gameplay updates are free now (they said learned this from map stuff in Rainbow Six Siege iirc).

How is this a bad thing?

KORNdoggy

I am glad that Ubisoft is making their DLC cosmetic only. I feel that's a smart choice. Gameplay updates are free now (they said learned this from map stuff in Rainbow Six Siege iirc).

How is this a bad thing?

I guess you missed the part where they're putting 4 gameplay modes behind a paywall.

What they said they were going to do is clearly not what they're doing, if the games DLC was just outfits no-one would care.

kpaadet

How is this a bad thing?
Did you watch the video? its not just cosmetics.

How is this a bad thing?

You didn't watch the video or look at my carefully curated pictures from the video up top, did you?

Buggy Loop

How is this a bad thing?

Maybe i didn't explain myself too well.

It's

Costumes (nobody gives a fuck)

Sports, in a...sports game..

The game is barebone as it is, you can't even grind a rail in this, in a snowboard game, can you even imagine that?

And we could change time of day in beta, but night time is locked in DLC?

BS

Yikes. Wonder what Kotaku's view on this is now that those UbiSoft checks are rolling in.

Did Ubisoft buy Kotaku or something?

How is this a bad thing?

Because they're locking multiple game modes behind the season pass? Did you watch the video or read the OP?

DocSeuss

You didn't watch the video or look at my carefully curated pictures from the video up top, did you?

I didn't watch the video. I also appear to have missed the last image. The first ones were just cosmetics and challenges and credits, none of which ever seems like a big deal? The most substantial content there is just the cosmetics. Got no problem with this. Would rather have this than "AWW YEAH ANOTHER SIX HOURS OF GAMEPLAY FOR A FIFTY DOLLAR SEASON PASS" that WB pulled off with Arkham Knight, y'know? Cosmetics I can hold off on.

KORNdoggy

I didn't watch the video. I also appear to have missed the last image. The first ones were just cosmetics and challenges and credits, none of which ever seems like a big deal? The most substantial content there is just the cosmetics. Got no problem with this. Would rather have this than "AWW YEAH ANOTHER SIX HOURS OF GAMEPLAY FOR A FIFTY DOLLAR SEASON PASS" that WB pulled off with Arkham Knight, y'know? Cosmetics I can hold off on.

The most substantial content there is the actual sports. But aren't you a kotaku writer?

Yikes. Wonder what Kotaku's view on this is now that those UbiSoft checks are rolling in.

Lol

The Argus

Did Ubisoft buy Kotaku or something?

There have definitely been a lot more pro Ubi posts in the last few weeks. The Steep beta preview read like an ad. This week they posted a "Yes, WD2 runs well on PC" story as if everyone was asking. Before their relationship was tumultuous.

Beta was so boring its hard to feel anything but indifference really. The idea was great when you heard about it, but just everything felt so ... wrong ... in the beta, especially slowing down too much against minor obstacles.

I guess the best you could say is a $20 dlc isn't that bad if you really love the game. Hard to believe this game launches in like what, 3 days?

MUnited83

For you.

Wut

Did you miss the several ammounts of gameplay content (sports) locked behind it?

Fisty

Didn't that poor girl die doing mocap for this? Couldn't even put out a non-predatory game to honor her legacy, eh Ubisoft smh

Kremzeek

Omg those DLC packs for sport add ons are beyond terrible- segmenting your player base like that?

Unreal, mind bogglingly bad idea

legbone

i want this game for the skiing alone. bummer they are doing all they can to make it bomb. hopefully i can get it cheap relatively soon.

Ashtar

Didn't that poor girl die doing mocap for this? Couldn't even put out a non-predatory game to honor her legacy, eh Ubisoft smh

um I fail to see the connection... it is definitely tragic that she died, but what exactly does that have to do with DLC?

Costumes are fine, but yeah putting 4 sports behind 20 dlc when the base game has what 3 or something is pretty bad.

I'm a big ubi fan boy but this game has done nothing for me and most impressions seem luke warm at best, absolutely no hype, this game is gonna bomba ultra hard.

Top Bottom