• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Uncharted 4 win anything at the game awards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh378

I was at work when the awards was played. Did Uncharted win anything, or did it completely get snubbed from the awards like a red-headed stepchild at a family reunion?

DKHF

Best narrative and performance at least (I might have missed it winning something else but it got those).

Nolan North won best performance and accepted the award. Game also won Best Narrative with Neil Druckmann and Josh Scherr going on stage to collect the award.

Rodin

Seeing the nominations for GOTY, i think it should've won. Overwatch is fine too though so i don't particularly care.

Dunkley

Deserves more.

It didn't deserve anything

MtZ9N.gif

dr_rus

They won all that they deserved. I'm glad the Uncharted wank-fest by critics is over.

Well, UC4 is an average-to-good, not great UC game so it's hardly a sign of anything changing in critics approach to such games.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Parts of GAF seems to think the game is like a lock-in for GotY or something. Why?

RocknRola

Parts of GAF seems to think the game is like a lock-in for GotY or something. Why?

Well, without going into personal preferences I'd say it's probably because the series (counting UC4) has 3 games in the 90's and 1 game in the very high 80's (which happens to be the 1st game in the series) in terms of aggregate score (Metacritic). So it has been one of those "safe bets" for potential GOTY over the years due to how highly reviewed it has been.

Greddleok

Those who say that U4 doesn't deserve more award need to change hobby because they aren't gamer.

Lol. I don't think a comment on gaf has made me laugh so much in ages. Cool, I'll happily hand in my gamer cred for not liking Uncharted. You can keep your name, "gamer."

mxgt

Banned

I don't understand it either

The production values are great, but it's completely bland and uninteresting from a gameplay perspective.

It was such a slog to get through, and I enjoyed the previous entries even though I've always thought they have been massively overrated.

Rodin

Well, UC4 is an average-to-good, not great UC game so it's hardly a sign of anything changing in critics approach to such games.
Uncharted 4 is the best entry in the series by miles and possibly the best game ND has ever made. The quality of the ecounters, the gunplay, the level design and the narrative are really top notch this time, and the flow of the adventure is perfect between moments of pure action, with top tier set pieces and great shooting sections, and more contemplative ones. It's so much better than the previous games that they feel very dated after this one, as all their limits really show after the vast improvements to the formula and the mechanics brought by U4.

I always found the worship of them a little strange.

This i can agree with. They're a top notch studio when it comes to tech, and they make very fun games with great attention to details (with a few exceptions, like Jak 2... yikes), but that level of worship is a bit off. It's also strange to see all this criticism to their best game yet, maybe expectations were a bit too crazy.

RocknRola

Pretty ironic considering the merits of UC4 are everywhere but in the game design aspect of the game.

Heavily disagree. It's gameplay is one of the best in the world of TPS games, thanks to the new additions of the final entry. I'd say only MGS5 beats it as it has more depth in what you can actually do (though, arguably most of what you could do in that game was fairly pointless).

U4 is a great game, fuck the haters. It deserved the Best Narrative and Best Performance awards, as the story and performances are really top quality.

I have no problem with Overwatch winning GOTY though, as that is a great game too, all the nominees were to be fair.

I loved Uncharted 1, I liked Uncharted 2, I couldn't bother to play Uncharted 3 and I kinda liked Uncharted 4. The formula was great in 2007, but 9 years later it's starting to get old.

The graphics were perfect though, best graphics I've ever seen. I know there are new things
jeep, boat, bungee jumping, and (ending spoiler ahead----------) the lack of a supernatural beasts twist at the end
, I liked that. But you can't keep throwing away the same game but with better graphics and expect people to be amazed at the game every time.

Servbot24

Banned
Uncharted 4 is not GOTY, but out of the nominees it definitely was. That said I'm glad Nolan and the narrative were recognize. Fan criticisms about the story are flat out wrong.

I look forward to a future where everyone comes around and realizes that Uncharted 4 was not a good game.

UC4 is a game were people will look back and realize that it was ahead of its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom