• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White supremacist website calls for action against Jews in Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://missoulian.com/news/state-an...cle_3b95f7d3-d6f5-5d2d-831c-d2c2cb647010.html

A white supremacist website called The Daily Stormer has posted a call to "TAKE ACTION" against Jewish people in Whitefish, providing personal contact information and urging a "troll storm" against them.

The story claims the "vicious, evil race" has harmed the Whitefish business of Richard Spencer's mother. It quotes a story from the British newspaper Daily Mail that said Sherry Spencer "said she is being forced to sell a building she owns in the small town because residents are rebelling against her son."

The site posted phone numbers, email addresses, and Twitter handles for the Whitefish residents it alleges are harassing Sherry Spencer, along with a disclaimer that it opposes violence.

Richard Spencer is president and director of the National Policy Institute, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has identified as a hate group. The institute is "dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world."

Spencer said Friday he's thinking about running for the U.S. House seat that would be vacated if U.S. Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana is confirmed as President-elect Donald Trump's choice to head the Department of Interior.

I thought refusing to buy products from a business that discriminates was like one of the few excuses Republicans had left on why discrimination should be allowed. Now people who do that need to be harassed? Ok.

What is it with neo nazis and the word 'storm'? They can't seem to get enough of it.
edit:wrong picture
15437766_1_l.jpg

What is it with neo nazis and the word 'storm'? They can't seem to get enough of it.

The name 'The Daily Stormer' is taken from 'Der Stürmer', a nazi tabloid that was instrumental in publicizing antisemitic propaganda in the 20s and 30s.

The Daily Stormer and a handful of other 'alt-right' sites are in many cases behind the organised harassment campaigns we've seen in the last election cycle. It's basically a Gawker-style blog authored by nazi 4channers.

Yes, it's as awful as it sounds.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"evil race"

why do people still think jewish is a race?
They are both a unique ethnicity and a religion.

Much of the ethnicity are of that religion. Some of the religion are not of that ethnicity.

you and anyone else that quoted me does

You asked an easy question about why a group of radicalized fascists with mistaken ideas about a lot of things also mistakenly think of Jewish as a race. People answered in kind

The broader answer is that American politics has been laced with an 'us versus them' mentality divided along cultural lines ever since boats started to land here hundreds of years ago. Either you assimilated into the 'white' crowd or you faced laws that kept you from participating in education, labor and government based completely a fabricated set of ideas about 'nonwhite' races. The Jewish immigrant wave faced a similar crisis and it didn't help that European sentiment about the 'otherness' of that culture carried over into our shores, yielding no small number of xenophobes to paint them with the same constructs that walled off people of asian, african, etc. descent. "They're another race" is just shorthand for "let's rig the system against them."

If you're truly concerned about what is and is not a race, you're kind of starting off asking the wrong question. Why race exists at all is a matter of political power, not one of orthodox taxonomic categorization.

KDR_11k

I feel silly now, because I'm just realizing where Stormtroopers got their name.

Technically "stormtrooper" is a WW1 designation for infantry that's supposed to cross the no man's land and enter the enemy trench to fight there but yeah, it's likely the movies were referencing the Nazis with that, not the WW1 soldiers.

It was a bit silly in the German version of TFA because there's no word in German for a single stormtrooper, only the stormtroop (i.e. the whole squad).

Nephilim

Banned
You asked an easy question about why a group of radicalized fascists with mistaken ideas about a lot of things also mistakenly think of Jewish as a race. People answered in kind

The broader answer is that American politics has been laced with an 'us versus them' mentality divided along cultural lines ever since boats started to land here hundreds of years ago. Either you assimilated into the 'white' crowd or you faced laws that kept you from participating in education, labor and government based completely a fabricated set of ideas about 'nonwhite' races. The Jewish immigrant wave faced a similar crisis and it didn't help that European sentiment about the 'otherness' of that culture carried over into our shores, yielding no small number of xenophobes to paint them with the same constructs that walled off people of asian, african, etc. descent. "They're another race" is just shorthand for "let's rig the system against them."

If you're truly concerned about what is and is not a race, you're kind of starting off asking the wrong question. Why race exists at all is a matter of political power, not one of orthodox taxonomic categorization.
Again. I did not ask about this group in particular. I said people. Everyone. Anyone. I mentioned this already but funny how that keeps getting ignored

leroidys

Maybe he should stop being such a racist piece of shit and people wouldn't feel like boycotting his mother's business? Maybe take responsibility for one thing in your life without blaming it on gays, blacks, Jews, China or the government?

Me too, I never even thought of it. Like I knew Star Wars was social commentary and I caught the references but at no point did I think of Stormtroopers. Like wow

Star Wars isn't really social commentary, but drew heavily on WWII for inspiration. The combat is WWII dog-fighting, the turret sequences on the falcon are straight out of war footage, the Imperial officers are dressed like the SS, the soldiers are "stormtroopers", the heavy blasters are literally German MG-34s (although the smaller blasters are British Sterling SMGs). The comparisons are often a bit shallow, more aesthetic than anything else. The Nazi SA (Stormtroopers) were a very small and unimportant organization after 1934. The name sounds cool though, so all Imperial soldiers we see for more than like 10 seconds are Stormtroopers.

It's the storm thing, I honestly didn't know about the whole sturm Nazi thing.

The word is often translated as "Assault" rather than "Storm", as in Sturmgewehr -> Assault Rifle. But the Star Wars Stormtroopers are not similar to the actual Stormtrooper organization in the Nazis, which was a paramilitary organization intimidating people in the streets rather than any kind of elite special forces. In '34 a lot of senior SA personnel were killed, and the organization was reduced in size and importance, replaced for most purposes by the SS (Hitler's personal bodyguard, which eventually expanded to become an army in its own right).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom