• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The great Comixology Sale/Recommendation thread. Comics er day

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Sale ends 1.3.2017 so no rush guys. try stuff and experiment.

Comixology is having their annual sale. to describe how epic it is think of a steam summer/winter sale back in 2014. Marvel, DC, Boom, Image, and others are offering up to 75% off on digital stuff. Great way for new readers to start.

https://www.comixology.com/

They have a app as well that works with mobile, and pad like devices.

To start off I recommend the first arc the best selling and critically acclaimed

51vC2tn4VdL.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
oh snap almost forgot. pick up the best book of the year. Tom king managed to outwrite himself with this one.

58684._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Mindwipe

Well, from the Image sale -

Southern Bastards
Trees
East of West
Deadly Class
Wicked and The Divine
Invincible
Paper Girls
The Manhattan Projects
Sex Criminals
Birthright
Lazarus
Sunstone
The Fade Out
The Fuse
Prophet
Saga

From the DC sale

Omega Men
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Clean Room
Prez

(The DC sale is weird, there's lots of good books, but not the first volumes, so hard to recommend here).

From the Boom sale

Giant Days
Lumberjanes

From the Marvel sale

Ultimate Universe The Ultimates
616 The Ultimates
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet
Black Panther: Who is the Black Panther
The five Brubaker Captain America trades
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Old Man Logan
Hawkeye (all four volumes)
Cable & Deadpool
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Wheldon
Doctor Strange: The Way of the Weird
Squirrel Girl Beats The Marvel Universe
Ms Marvel vol 1 - 5
The Vision
Dan Slott's three trades on The Silver Surfer
Hickman's run on Fantastic Four and FF: Future Foundation
Runaways vol. 1 - 3.

Toxi

Banned
Question: If I want to read Annihilation, what are some books I should read through first as background/Setup?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I am in this thread, and want some neat comics to read.

As far as a service goes, would you guys recommend Comixology over Marvel unlimited?

TheFlow

Banned
I am in this thread, and want some neat comics to read.

As far as a service goes, would you guys recommend Comixology over Marvel unlimited?
edit : sorry for double post!
CMX is a way better service, but MU is the best bargain hands down.

10 dollars for as many comics you can read before you have to pay again.

bad part is the pages are in SD, and you are limited to one page instead of the awesome 2 page spread.

MU also doesn't have the MAX books.

Also Amazon allows you to buy most digital comics on day of release. they even do discounts. you can then read them on CMX or kindle app.

How did Brubaker's Kill or Be Killed turn out?

Stray Bullets

The best crime/noir thriller series you'll find. It's tense, it's gripping, it's raw and realistic. You wont be disappointed

DIG030810_1._SX1160_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I'm gonna check this out. It seems like it's cheaper to buy them from Amazon's website rather than comixology's though which is confusing. I bought the last couple volumes of Saga from amazon the other day too and they were 6 bucks each while they were listed full price on comixtology. I guess Amazon is having a digital comics sale too but just without a promo code?

TheFlow

Banned
I'm gonna check this out. It seems like it's cheaper to buy them from Amazon's website rather than comixology's though which is confusing. I bought the last couple volumes of Saga from amazon the other day too and they were 6 bucks each. I guess Amazon is having a digital comics sale too but just without a promo code?
real quick guys: Amazon bought out CMX. W.e CMX has on sale Amazon will too. The thing about Amazon is they discount volumes and issues.better than CMX does. but keyword "sometimes"

you have to apply the code to get the image books off.

You should be able to still get the first issue for free on CMX as part of their new reader program.
Also Stray bullets is the greatest Image title imo. "Stray Bullets won the 1996 Eisner Award for Best Writer/Artist, Drama, and the trade paperback collection Stray Bullets: Innocence of Nihilism won the 1997 Eisner Award for "Best Graphic Album-Reprint"[3] the Comic Book Awards Almanac and was a top votegetter for the Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Award for Favorite Reprint Graphic Novel/Album for the same year."

just about 2 decades later and it is still the best in the game. also pick up killers, and sunshine. they continue the story and provide depth.

You should all buy The Wicked + The Divine, or at the very least the first two volumes.
yep read the first volume last week and it is good stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Busy at work, do they have Green Arrow Rebirth on sale? Does that even have a trade yet?

unfortunately not. they did a mini rebirth sale less than 2 months ago I believe. DC is kinda stingy about putting rebirth issues on sale.

and to answer your question the volumes are not out yet.

Green Arrow volume 1 comes out Jan 10. 2017. along with the rest early that spring.

single issues will most likely be on the third arc by then

Niiiice. Is Paper Girls good? I might catch up on Saga at the very least. Have got a buncha floppies from my CB store's closing sale that I hvent even read yet.
paper girls is definitely worth a read! but I think the media overhyped it some because it by the same guy who did saga. It is super weird without explaining much, but still a fun read.

pick up the first 2 issues. if you like those then the series is for you.

again it is his weirdest book

real quick guys: Amazon bought out CMX. W.e CMX has on sale Amazon will too. The thing about Amazon is they discount volumes and issues.better than CMX does. but keyword "sometimes"

you have to apply the code to get the image books off.

You should be able to still get the first issue for free on CMX as part of their new reader program.
Also Stray bullets is the greatest Image title imo. "Stray Bullets won the 1996 Eisner Award for Best Writer/Artist, Drama, and the trade paperback collection Stray Bullets: Innocence of Nihilism won the 1997 Eisner Award for "Best Graphic Album-Reprint"[3] the Comic Book Awards Almanac and was a top votegetter for the Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Award for Favorite Reprint Graphic Novel/Album for the same year."

just about 2 decades later and it is still the best in the game. also pick up killers, and sunshine. they continue the story and provide depth.

yep read the first volume last week and it is good stuff.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

TheFlow

Banned
DC used to discount new issues after 2 months, but have not kept that up post-Rebirth.

I think they should at least discount the rebirth and #1 issue to 2 dollars. so people can decide what to continue from there.

the bi-monthly books are moving at fast pace and eventually new readers won't want to jump in because of the gap without price drop.

edit: yea wait till late Jan to see what happens.

Is Sunshine and Roses not getting collected Volumes? It's already up to 19 issues

Jocund

I'm torn between buying the collected volume of Sheriff of Babylon now and waiting on the second volume to be published, or buying buying both the first volume and all the remaining issues at once. What do?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just chiming in that I'm so impressed how Image became the latter-day Vertigo that I always wanted to exist. The breadth and creativity on display in all their books is impressive. Whoever's runnng that joint is doing the lord's work.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm torn between buying the collected volume of Sheriff of Babylon now and waiting on the second volume to be published, or buying buying both the first volume and all the remaining issues at once. What do?

I was blessed to have been able to buy the first 10 issues on sale.

if you buy the first volume it will cost you 14 dollars for the rest. the last issue was recent so it is still 4 but it will drop down to 2 next month I believe.

I personal think you should wait out buying the rest/ volume 2 because you can spend that 14 dollars on other great books on sale.

warning reading the first volume will cause you to snap like a rubberband and binge buy the rest.

rac

Banned
Green Arrow

Red hood

superman

detective

teen titans

are all now books worth reading again.

Can you just jump in anywhere?

edit: Thanks to all the comic threads in the OT I bought a Vision Vol. 1 and 2, Monstress, Power Rangers, WW Earth One and Black Panther.

It'd be cool to start buying weekly but I have no idea how/where to start.

TheFlow

Banned

red hood and the outlaws and teen titans are monthly so they are very easy to catch up and keep up with. 3 dollars a month is a breeze.

I recommend just starting at the beginning for everything and not worrying about catching up as much. go at your own pace.

a lot of the rebirth books have good/great arcs that shouldn't be missed. Do not jump into Detective though. you will be so lost.

rac

Banned
red hood and the outlaws and teen titans are monthly so they are very easy to catch up and keep up with. 3 dollars a month is a breeze.

I recommend just starting at the beginning for everything and not worrying about catching up as much. go at your own pace.

a lot of the rebirth books have good/great arcs that shouldn't be missed. Do not jump into Detective though. you will be so lost.
I guess beginning here would be Rebirth and ANAD? It gets kinda confusing.

TheFlow

Banned
I guess beginning here would be Rebirth and ANAD? It gets kinda confusing.

rebirth is what I am referring too.

I actually just started reading a lot of Marvel this year after a long hiatus. you wouldn't tell by the avatar. I caught up on real fast thanks to MU.

Marvel books are easy to recommend though. just tell us what you like and we got you covered with something recent in the marvel timeline.

Pachimari

I currently have these in my basket:

- Deathstroke: Rebirth #1 (2016)
- Thor #1 (2014-15)
- Ultimates Omniversal Vol. 1: Start With the Impossible

Anything else from Marvel or DC worth getting? Something with Flash or Harley Quinn? Maybe some X-Men stuff?

Shaanyboi

Banned

edit: Thanks to all the comic threads in the OT I bought a Vision Vol. 1 and 2, Monstress, Power Rangers, WW Earth One and Black Panther.

It'd be cool to start buying weekly but I have no idea how/where to start.
I mean typically with relaunches, #1's are designed to bring in new readers. Start from there.

TheFlow

Banned
I currently have these in my basket:

- Deathstroke: Rebirth #1 (2016)
- Thor #1 (2014-15)
- Ultimates Omniversal Vol. 1: Start With the Impossible

Anything else from Marvel or DC worth getting? Something with Flash or Harley Quinn? Maybe some X-Men stuff?

WARNING
Deathstroke takes some time to get started and is more of a continuation of the Slade story. that being said Comic-GAF will not shut up about how great it is now. they say the first couple issues are rough to get through.

the first volume of ultimates is great. I like that one.

Thor #1 is really great! and one of the best things from anad. remember though it is a continuation from Thor: God of Thunder which is just as great if not better at certain points.

avoid flash rebirth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom