• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SMT Digital Devil Saga I (Spoilers)

Honestly, I had no idea what was going on for at least half of the game. The opening sequence was really dope and I getting a survival of the fittest and full out war vibe. But once Serph and the gang left the vanguard base and found Sera...I got lost. Yeah, Serph needs to kill off the other tribes and go to Nirvana, but why? What is the point of achieving Nirvana? And how the hell did they all, Gale in particular, know who Angel was? She appears out of nowhere at the end of the game and Gale was like shit I know you!

Overall, I found DDS to be my least favorite subseries of SMT (so far). I liked the mantra system, but everything else was meh. I missed the demon recruiting and fusion system a lot and didn't like keeping one demon. Soundtrack was very underwhelming considering SMT previous track work on soundtracks. I finished the game in 17 hours too which seems very short for a SMT game.

I feel like I am missing some huge plot and story points. I feel like eyes have a hint as to what is to come but I really have no idea. I hope most of the plot and lore get cleared up in II. Without spoiling II, is this theory I have correct?

The world is just a computer simulation and Serph did a soft reset when hitting the green orb in Angel's hand.

The first game is the first half of the story. Everything gets explained in the second game and there's plenty of payoffs for the stuff that happens throughout the first game.

The first game is the first half of the story. Everything gets explained in the second game and there's plenty of payoffs for the stuff that happens throughout the first game.
Awesome! Do your levels and mantra progress carry over?

I consider the DDS duology's OST easily some of Meguro's best work.
Im weird with soundtracks I guess. Final Fantasy GAF hated me for hating FFVIII's soundtrack lol

Honestly, I had no idea what was going on for at least half of the game. The opening sequence was really dope and I getting a survival of the fittest and full out war vibe. But once Serph and the gang left the vanguard base and found Sera...I got lost. Yeah, Serph needs to kill off the other tribes and go to Nirvana, but why? What is the point of achieving Nirvana? And how the hell did they all, Gale in particular, know who Angel was? She appears out of nowhere at the end of the game and Gale was like shit I know you!

Overall, I found DDS to be my least favorite subseries of SMT (so far). I liked the mantra system, but everything else was meh. I missed the demon recruiting and fusion system a lot and didn't like keeping one demon. Soundtrack was very underwhelming considering SMT previous track work on soundtracks. I finished the game in 17 hours too which seems very short for a SMT game.

I feel like I am missing some huge plot and story points. I feel like eyes have a hint as to what is to come but I really have no idea. I hope most of the plot and lore get cleared up in II. Without spoiling II, is this theory I have correct?

The world is just a computer simulation and Serph did a soft reset when hitting the green orb in Angel's hand.

I will fight you.

DDS2 has the answers, more fucked, and more awesome music to appreciate. >_<

Awesome! Do your levels and mantra progress carry over?

Not really. You get bonuses based on what mantras you mastered. You also get certain items if you beat superbosses.

A couple characters will obtain special skills later on in DDS2 if you have a DDS1 save. Also the final area will be a different experience will be different depending on the dialogue choices you make throughout both games, without spoiling.

Opa-Pa

I beat this earlier this year, haven't played the second game yet. I'll agree that this game lets a little too much unanswered and takes that you'll get the sequel for granted lol, but your questions in particular aren't really hard to figure out at all IMO, it's all hinted in the game itself.

Unless I'm wrong and it gets explained better in the second game: They want to achieve Nirvana because it'll get then to a supposed paradise and out of a literal junkyard where war is an everyday thing. And they know Angel because they seem to be regaining their memories of past lives, and given that Gale in particular has lots of visions of her throughout the game, it's clear they used to be close in the past.

Also I thought the soundtrack was fantastic and one of Meguro's best works haha, but hey, different tastes.

I really like the difference in atmosphere between the first and second game.

First game is fun, I wasn't a fan of all the optional areas being sewers and the final dungeon was a nightmare, but i like the idea of a lean PS2 JRPG and the mantra system was pretty neat!

I just started the second one, played for about 40 minutes. I really like the UI overall, looks much cleaner and tidy. Music seems better (getting Persona 4 vibes from the battle themes), and the voice acting is more serious/less corny which is great.

Top Bottom