• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist Christmas Day plot distrupted, Melbourne Australia, 7 arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source

Police have disrupted a terrorist plot to detonate improvised explosive devices at locations in central Melbourne, possibly on Christmas Day, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says.

Commissioner Ashton said four of the people arrested were Australian-born and aged in their 20s.

"The age groups range between 20 and 24 or 25. There is another suspect in this matter who will be charged that was an Egyptian-born Australian citizen. All the others were Australian-born," he said.

It feels like Australia has been a step ahead of these plots for the most part but over time it feels like escalating to one of these attacks getting through to completion. Likely targets were very busy areas in central business district (CBD); Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul's Cathedral.

For reference here's some pics of the locations:

523aba4cbff6ea1cb3dbbea98e48e349_2048x1152.jpeg

BBxt5Ac.img

Audioboxer

Well done Australian forces. Stay vigilant and the Australian people will be out there celebrating as fuck ever giving into the fear these people try to cause.

I think we sometimes forget the work and effort that goes on behind the scenes to keep us safe. Although I have been criticising Germany I know a lot of good staff do hard and lengthy work to intercept threats and stop them.

Such young kids.
Disgusting how effective internet videos with flashing lights and music can inspire people to murder others. It's disturbingly depressing how effective the internet has become at radicliazing people.

tci

I fear it's only a matter of time until we get hit properly.
Yea, this have been my fear the last few years. I am 100% sure this will happen eventually. Which is really a sad thought to have. Glad they stopped this one.

Speculating is not he best to do at these times. Still I fear this might be related to Berlin in some way. Really hope the year doesn't end with such an event.

Kayhan

Seven people were arrested overnight at properties in Flemington, Meadow Heights and Dallas in Melbourne over the alleged plot, which police said was inspired by the Islamic State (IS) group.

Idiots.

MTE

Good.

This is my city, and I'm proud of the police.
Fed. Square is an obvious target, and even when there are smaller disturbances in off-peak times there (like, organised brawls) the police are right on top of it.
I do feel as if it's only time before one manages to go ahead, but I'm gonna keep hoping it never does.

Such young kids.
Disgusting how effective internet videos with flashing lights and music can inspire people to murder others. It's disturbingly depressing how effective the internet has become at radicliazing people.

Sure that plays a part but I doubt it's the sole influence to planning/committing such atrocities. They must be growing up together or gatherings or leaders behind the initial push. Surely a bunch of kids don't just get together and go yeah fuck this is cool in a video let's do it together.

I'll be following this story with interest to the background details on this group and individuals, I'm curious about the path that guides them to this. It's batshit crazy. Also I have a young son and daughter I'd like to at least have some idea of how kids get to such places in their heads.

For some geographic reference: Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul's Cathedral are all immediately next to each other.

SCk5Zkd.jpg

(Fed Square is largely cut off in the photo, on the right)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Sure that plays a part but I doubt it's the sole influence to planning/committing such atrocities. They must be growing up together or gatherings or leaders behind the initial push. Surely a bunch of kids don't just get together and go yeah fuck this is cool in a video let's do it together.

I'll be following this story with interest to the background details on this group and individuals, I'm curious about the path that guides them to this. It's batshit crazy. Also I have a young son and daughter I'd like to at least have some idea of how kids get to such places in their heads.

Police said they are Lebanese Australian, which is not surprising

TwiztidElf

CBD? Christmas Day? If it's anything like Brisbane, they'd kill nobody. There's nobody there on Christmas day.
Christmas Eve/Boxing Day on the other hand...

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

Religious belief and a radicalized view of Islam. Their intentions and motivations quite clear. They believe they will get into paradise.

kmax

Very glad to hear about this. Great job to law enforcement over there.

Merry Christmas in advance to the people of Melbourne.

grumble

Religious belief and a radicalized view of Islam. Their intentions and motivations quite clear. They believe they will get into paradise.

There are other issues as well - the 'othering' that they likely feel in a western world that doesn't feel that welcoming to them. This is an issue which needs several angles of attack to address, including better integration, intolerance of religious extremism, strong policing to prevent attacks and community outreach. It's hard to plan a terror attack as a moderate, employed Muslim man who plays soccer with his non-Muslim friends on the weekends.

Our police are fucking mint when it comes to this stuff. Our laws got tougher with terror-related charges too, which is a blessing.

Can't wait to read what the apologists have been saying throughout the day and tomorrow morning on the radio.

Stopping terrorism is always a good thing. I quite like Australia except for that concentration camp you guys got out there on that island

Dalibor68

Banned
I quite like Australia except for that concentration camp you guys got out there on that island

I'm sure actual holocaust survivors would be delighted by your relativization.

Good that the police managed to stop them soon enough. However I still have a bad feeling about this new years eve in general - let's hope it'll stay peaceful everywhere. Personally I wouldn't go to mass groups in city centres - because I don't like being in mass groups to begin with but also to a small part because it's an easy target.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
There are other issues as well - the 'othering' that they likely feel in a western world that doesn't feel that welcoming to them. This is an issue which needs several angles of attack to address, including better integration, intolerance of religious extremism, strong policing to prevent attacks and community outreach. It's hard to plan a terror attack as a moderate, employed Muslim man who plays soccer with his non-Muslim friends on the weekends.

Never seen a hindu/buddhist or anyone else doing terror attack because of 'othering'.
Most of the terror attacks happen in Muslim countries. It's not 'othering', until unless bt 'othering' you mean 'there is no total Islamic rule according to our wishes and hence I am othered'.

Sinfamy

You want the police to torture people?
We're so edgy on NeoGAF.

Does he really need to add "within the bounds of the law"?
I'm pretty sure Australia doesn't have a history of torturing people, so it's implied.

Cops can be good at interrogation and offering reduced sentences for information.

Madness

This is such a crock of shit. Otherwise it wouldn't be the same specific religious group every time. You think other people of colour, black people, sikhs, hindus, east asians, refugees feel 'othered'? Why aren't they in large numbers planning attacks?

I am tired of the excuse game. This is something that finally needs to be addressed. The one unifying trait between all of these recent attacks and foiled attacks has been that they were Muslim. You can be a white Dagestani Russian in Boston who kills people, a Somalian black refugee in Ohio, an Afghani Pashtun in Orlando, a Pakistani American in San Bernardino, a Tunisian French man in Nice France etc. Transcending ethnicity, nationality, skin color etc. Such a small population of nations and yet make up a massive total of the amount of terror attacks or foiled terror attacks.

What kind of better integration is there when you readily reject Western ideals and become radicalized on the internet? The Ohio killer said he hated the fact Islam was blamed for things and that he wanted to be an example for others at school and then in the end, went on a shooting spree. A lot of these people were moderate muslims until they weren't. Just like a lot of supposed gun owners are responsible until they aren't. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the nature of us vs them, not feeling welcomed, etc. But when almost every single major developed nation is suffering from primarily islamist extremist terrorism, things need to be changed or addressed. Whether it is the US, UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia, India, China, Russia, Turkey, Kenya, Nigeria, Israel etc.

Hypnotoad

This is such a crock of shit. Otherwise it wouldn't be the same specific religious group every time. You think other people of colour, black people, sikhs, hindus, east asians, refugees feel 'othered'? Why aren't they in large numbers planning attacks?

I am tired of the excuse game. This is something that finally needs to be addressed. The one unifying trait between all of these recent attacks and foiled attacks has been that they were Muslim. You can be a white Dagestani Russian in Boston who kills people, a Somalian black refugee in Ohio, an Afghani Pashtun in Orlando, a Pakistani American in San Bernardino, a Tunisian French man in Nice France etc. Transcending ethnicity, nationality, skin color etc. Such a small population of nations and yet make up a massive total of the amount of terror attacks or foiled terror attacks.

What kind of better integration is there when you readily reject Western ideals and become radicalized on the internet? The Ohio killer said he hated the fact Islam was blamed for things and that he wanted to be an example for others at school and then in the end, went on a shooting spree. A lot of these people were moderate muslims until they weren't. Just like a lot of supposed gun owners are responsible until they aren't. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the nature of us vs them, not feeling welcomed, etc. But when almost every single major developed nation is suffering from primarily islamist extremist terrorism, things need to be changed or addressed. Whether it is the US, UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia, India, China, Russia, Turkey, Kenya, Nigeria, Israel etc.

And then there is the fact that even in societies where Muslims are in the majority and hold all positions of power, Christians and other minorities are harassed and terrorized. Just a week ago a blast at a Coptic cathedral in Cairo killed 26 people. Not to mention the constant acts of terrorism and suicide bombing against non-Sunni Muslims around the world.

Henkka

Banned
And then there is the fact that even in societies where Muslims are in the majority and hold all positions of power, Christians and other minorities are harassed and terrorized. Just a week ago a blast at a Coptic cathedral in Cairo killed 26 people. Not to mention the constant acts of terrorism and suicide bombing against non-Sunni Muslims around the world.

And the Copts don't practice terrorism, even though they're oppressed.

Dryk

Anybody who threatens that intersection should have the book thrown at them. Fucking amazing place.

Yeah... Counter terrorism has been on the ball last couple of years.
The weirdest thing about the government constantly pushing for more surveillance is that we get stories like this all the time and the police invariably uncovered the plot using the tools they've had for years.

I'm sure actual holocaust survivors would be delighted by your relativization.

It's a detention camp that refugees can't get out of. The last time I read about that Australian sponsored camp on what is it Manus island? The last time I read about that a young 12 year old girl had decided for some reason, to stitch her mouth shut.

They don't allow journalists over there, probably because they don't want people making those parallels or witnessing the atrocity.

They are literally referred to as "offshore prison camps" so, I'm pretty sure actual holocaust survivors, would probably condemn that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom