• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacker banned from Xbox Live due to leaking Halo Wars 2 OST, threatened to spoil game

Cranster

Banned
sDWizKj.jpg

GameCheat13 is well known in the Halo community for his efforts in leaking unannounced Halo 5 assets planned for future content ipdates. Now it seems he took things a step over the line as he was able to gaina ccess to a build of Halo Wars 2. He uploaded the entire game soundtrack on youtube and notified Microsoft about how he was able to do so. Some of his tweets have promised that if Microsoft doesn't refund his entire games library he will start selling off the Halo Wars 2 PC build to anyone who asks - this build has KEY story information on it that could ruin the story if released. Since his recent blogpost though he has since backtracked and deleted those tweets.

Reddit source.

Gamecheat13 blog update

SoulUnison

Banned
This sounds like banning should only be the prologue to some legal action.
Was he actually trying to, like, blackmail Microsoft into giving him free merchandise and special treatment?

Some of his tweets have promised that if Microsoft doesn't refund his entire games library he will start selling off the Halo Wars 2 PC build to anyone who asks...

How could he possibly have thought that would end well, not even touching on how he tried to give his shady-asshole ultimatum on Twitter, where it was publicly viewable?
Is this guy like 12 years old?

EDIT: Oh, I see, he wanted the money back for his digital game library since the ban means he lost access to them.
Still, he did something blatantly illegal, got caught and punished, and then does something extra-illegal to try to bully a multi-national company into kissing his ass?
Ok, buddy. Good luck.

Cranster

Banned
Dudes leaking halo 5 assets online and halo wars 2 is when ms steps in
I think the big difference is that with Halo 5 he was datamining the retail version after each massive Content update which is alot different than how he accessed the unreleased Halo Wars 2 build. Let alone he pirated the soundtrack.

Shiggy

How is it even legal to ban access to his game library? huh
When i go to the supermarket and steal stuff, the supermarket cannot just go to my home and say "You cannot access your fridge anymore".

When i go to the supermarket and steal stuff, the supermarket cannot just go to my home and say "You cannot access your fridge anymore".

I'm sure it's well within their rights to do so as part of the ToS but yeah, it's a bit odd to me that his account and console are being banned in this scenario.

Halabane

Blackmailing MS. Wow.

Kind of like the little baby playing pee a boo and no one can see him. Does he really think they can't find him?

Yaranaika

Because you don't actually 'own' any digital games you buy.

leeh

So the dude blackmailed MS with something he illegally required and just got his account banned?

Should think himself lucky.

RedRum

Banned

Plan as day in their code of conduct:

UPON RECEIVING A PERMANENT SUSPENSION, YOU FORFEIT ALL CONTENT LICENSES, GOLD MEMBERSHIP TIME, AND MICROSOFT ACCOUNT BALANCES ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUSPENDED ACCOUNT.

Carlius

Banned

this. seriously. the fucking digital games bullshit.

LycanXIII

Digital rights and ToS, this has been a thing since XBL and PSN started.

It gives the impression his game library is online. Which is why people were against the always online ambitions in the first place. It is understandable if you purchased games digitally over a service. You have to abide by TOS and EULA. But if you purchased games on disc, they shouldn't be able to ban that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Some of his tweets have promised that if Microsoft doesn't refund his entire games library he will start selling off the Halo Wars 2 PC build to anyone who asks - this build has KEY story information on it that could ruin the story if released.
This guy got off easy if MS decides not to pursue him legally. Because goddamn if this isn't a stupid threat to make.

If you're dumb enough to claim responsibility for leaking info from a unreleased game and uploading the soundtrack under your regular accounts your dumb ass deserves whatever is coming.

RedRum

Banned
Indeed, you agree to the T&C on sign up. If you don't like, DON'T SIGN UP. (Also, don't try to blackmail a trillion dollar corporation).

Yeah, I understand that this might not seem like it's fair, but it's not like it is being hidden. I found it in less than 15 seconds. No one is forcing you to use the service, but if you choose to use them then you have to abide (like fucking everyone else) by the rules. I'm sure this is the same for most services out there.

It takes guts to threaten a company as large as Microsoft with intentional piracy. At least he has listened to some better judgement and backtracked.

Kaelan

This sounds like banning should only be the prologue to some legal action.
Was he actually trying to, like, blackmail Microsoft into giving him free merchandise and special treatment?

How could he possibly have thought that would end well, not even touching on how he tried to give his shady-asshole ultimatum on Twitter, where it was publicly viewable?
Is this guy like 12 years old?

EDIT: Oh, I see, he wanted the money back for his digital game library since the ban means he lost access to them.
Still, he did something blatantly illegal, got caught and punished, and then does something extra-illegal to try to bully a multi-national company into kissing his ass?
Ok, buddy. Good luck.

Yeah, this isn't the right course of action IMO.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, this isn't the right course of action IMO.
This dude was literally attempting to blackmail a multi billion dollar company with threats of leaking assets that he couldn't have gotten legally unless they refund him.

gossi

You're right, they should sue him in to oblivion.

Since he claims he has a full working build of Halo Wars 2 on Windows 10, a game which isn't out yet, he's admitting to theft and arguably blackmail (by threatening to release in exchange for things). The last time a similar thing happened I can think of was Valve with Half Life 2. They called the FBI, who arrested the guy.

This is some dumb shit, basically.

Hektor

Microsoft can sue this guy to hell and back again for pirating the OST of their unreleased videogame as well as blackmailing them with his alphabuild.

Dudes lucky if he only got banned.

I really like leaks because this industry is far too secretive most of the time, but you can't blame a company for taking measures against leakers, especially with leaks of such scale.

DocSeuss

I want to point out that most of the time someone shows a developer how they're able to do something like violate their security, there's often a bounty/reward payout.

gossi

I want to point out that most of the time someone shows a developer how they're able to do something like violate their security, there's often a bounty/reward payout.

He didn't do that. He's been hacking MS for years. He releases the assets online, and doesn't explain how he got them (edit: somebody points out below he's claiming he notified them about this one)

Random17

He didn't do that. He's been hacking MS for years. He releases the assets online, and doesn't explain how he got them.

This is not what got him banned, not even close. Datamining files is not something MS cares about for the most part.

Doing so before the game releases however is what got him banned.

Cranster

Banned
Oh, I didn't know he notified this time. The problem I have is - did he really notify them?
That's the problem, we would have to take his word for it. Even then he say's he didn't notify Microsoft until after he uploaded the entire game soundtrack to youtube.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You never buy games anymore. You buy a license to use them which can be revoked.

It's usually not done like this, but doing what he did which is illegal at best I do get it. Also fucking lol trying to "sell" a stolen copy of the game to whoever asks.

Like a million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen.

Top Bottom