• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4yr old son of Paramount inspires him to Monster Trucks ($125m budget), he gets fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollywood nepotism fuckery in a nutshell XD

GQ: How the Hell Did This Monster Trucks Movie Get Made? - Scott Meslow
L1RmWCKr.jpg

Read the article, it chronicles the process since 2013, and it's a hella short read.

Basically, Adam Goodman (former president of Paramount Pictures) is inspired by watching his 4 year old son (some sources say 3, ehh whatever) play with toy trucks. Suddenly, this shit becomes his passion project. Usually, passion projects are in director's heads for ages but struggled with budgets and scope and creative directions. Like recently, with Scorsese's Silence (also Paramount!). Nah, a monster in a truck is gonna be Adam Goodman's passion project that he'll fight to get made. Dude gets fired in Feb 2015 cause Paramount got a "thin release slate" and they probably had little faith in him bringing the big bucks.

The movie cost $125 million, and was meant to be released in Summer 2015.

Considering they said this has "great toyetic appeal", not a single toy released on Spin Master's part either!

The best part is, usually these kind of movies are "a boy and his creature" because he's introverted and goofy, so a creature will be his only friend. Monster Trucks, not so much. It's a handsome socially competent 26 year old dude playing a high schooler.

Oh yeah, and Danny Glover in this shit.

giphy.gif

Enjoy drunk Korey and the Double Toasted (best goddamn movie review show) crew reviewing this amateur hour haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CVBO4WsoU

double_toasted_korey_drunk_by_digi_matrix-davm4hv.gif

Podge293

You won't be laughing when it makes 1 billion at the box office

seriously tho it was a terrible idea and it looks terrible from the trailers

You won't be laughing when it makes 1 billion at the box office

seriously tho it was a terrible idea and it looks terrible from the trailers

“Monster Trucks'” failure seemed preordained. Last year, Paramount took a $115 million write-down on the film. “Monster Trucks'” reception justified that fiscal white-flag waving. It opened to a pallid $10.5 million and a projected $13 million over the holiday, a disastrous result given its $125 million budget.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334325

Poor Paramount lol

Someone please find that post of someone who allegedly worked on the project. They described a test screening of a version with a way more terrifying monster.

About to dig into the Double Toasted review in a bit.

First time I've watched the trailer for this. My first reaction is "why is this grown man in high school?" At least make it a college movie, he's not exactly a baby face.

The premise itself, while ostensibly a homage to the likes of ET and Iron Giant, seems straight out of the sci fi channel. Can't believe it got greenlit on that budget. Meanwhile, it took nearly a decade for Deadpool to get made at 1/3 the price.

Omg at the children screaming anecdote. This is/was Homer's car level fuckery.

Fun story and all, but this isn't "nepotism." Also, bad movies get made all the time. My childhood was full of them. Sometimes things seem like good ideas before they're actually filmed, and lots of children's movie ideas that you probably love are dumb as fuck, but just happen to turn out well. Don't see the big deal here.

I think it's fascinating and hilarious how this got such a huge budget. Like, how many family comedies which aren't animated have a budget this large?! Even adult comedies don't have budgets this massive.

How much longer until Disney buys Paramount?

Do they have any key brands Disney would want?

Holy shit! Would be amazing to see that original cut.

They weren't going to fire Paramount's son

Ha ha!

c895ea334711.jpg

lmao could've been the new Exorcist

On one hand, at least they managed to actually fix that glaring issue. Current monster design is inoffensive and forgettable, but at leas it's the kind of cute monster you'd expect with this premise.

On the other hand, I REALLY want the Monster Trucks: Ultimate Edition with the original, unaltered workprint cut of the movie that featured this fuckery.

Fun story and all, but this isn't "nepotism." Also, bad movies get made all the time. My childhood was full of them. Sometimes things seem like good ideas before they're actually filmed, and lots of children's movie ideas that you probably love are dumb as fuck, but just happen to turn out well. Don't see the big deal here.

Yeah my bad, some other reports like Vanity Fair and Slate mislead by saying it was the 4 year old who came up with the idea and told his dad, but the dad just got inspired by watching him play, so not quite nepotism.

This is more like "Miyamoto playing in his garden came up with Pikmin" only if instead of being one of the most talented and well-respected people in his craft, he was a suit high on coke who wrote his ideas down on a cocktail napkin, woke up the next morning and called them Shakespeare.

glaurung

Holy shit, I need to see the original design.

Why didn't they turn this into a proper horror movie then? Christine with monster trucks?

Yeah my bad, some other reports like Vanity Fair and Slate mislead by saying it was the 4 year old who came up with the idea and told his dad, but the dad just got inspired by watching him play, so not quite nepotism.

Using your kid's idea isn't really nepotism either.

This is more like "Miyamoto playing in his garden came up with Pikmin" only if instead of being one of the most talented and well-respected people in his craft, he was a suit high on coke who wrote his ideas down on a cocktail napkin, woke up the next morning and called them Shakespeare.

Yes, this I like. 😅

Slayven

First time I've watched the trailer for this. My first reaction is "why is this grown man in high school?" At least make it a college movie, he's not exactly a baby face.

The premise itself, while ostensibly a homage to the likes of ET and Iron Giant, seems straight out of the sci fi channel. Can't believe it got greenlit on that budget. Meanwhile, it took nearly a decade for Deadpool to get made at 1/3 the price.

Omg at the children screaming anecdote. This is/was Homer's car level fuckery.

Dude looks like the dude from Supernatural

The movie is just 20 years too late

Star_Kid.jpg

The thing about it is, the concept really isn't bad. Slash the budget, cast an actual kid as the lead, and make it wackier and the movie could have done pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom