• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the definitive version of Breath of the Wild be on PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the incredible advancements of the Wii U emulator Cemu, the best IQ version of Breath of the Wild could be on PC. By launch, the emulator could be far enough along to run BotW at 4k 60fps depending on your rig. Several games already do work at this level.
AFaM1U5.jpg
Uogrc3t.jpg
c224Zsm.jpg
gZXngAu.jpg
44U6EmX.jpg

Could this option dig into sales of not only the Switch version of BotW, but the Switch hardware itself?

If you own a Wii U, BotW, and a decent PC, why would you choose another version?

Lynd7

Because its too much hassle for there to be a significant amount of people who could be bothered.

thuway

Yes. The Wii U copy is already pre-ordered. Also borrowing a DVD reader from a friend since my PC doesn't have one -_-.

I am actually just gonna buy the game at launch and wait a few months before I play it since I'm praying the CEMU developers figure out a way to enable 60 FPS. Either way 4K with fake HDR+ on my ks8000 will be glorious.

Why these comparisons always make the worst version that worse ? It's not really that bad, I don't even see the difference with 720p and 1080p when I'm playing come on

Kouriozan

Sounds good enough, can't wait to bring my PC in the park.
/sarcasm

It's going to look amazing, sadly I doubt my PC will be able to run it.

Vuze

If you own a Wii U, BotW, and a decent PC, why would you choose another version?
We still don't know what the detailed technical differences will be and if they can be modded into the WiiU version.
Longer draw distance? Better shadows? Etc.

But yeah, atleast image quality-wise I would answer your question with "Yes" (once the game works in Cemu).

Nibel

You can't predict if and how BOTW will run in CEMU since not every game is 100% perfectly emulated yet (heck, Bayonetta 2 has no sound at all afaik)

I'd love to play BOTW in 4k though, so I'll keep this on my radar. But you underestimate how much people hate to tinker with an emulator and PC to make stuff run on their system; I bet the majority will play this on their Wii U

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
IPhone time exclusive

And Op you are talking pirate and illegal as definitive

topplehat

Maybe for taking screenshots but not actual gameplay.

I think it will take some time before Cemu is running it at 4k 60fps, but it is super exciting.

thuway

Why these comparisons always make the worst version that worse ? It's not really that bad, I don't even see the difference with 720p and 1080p when I'm playing come on
Find a friend with a relatively modern PC, even a 970 GPU will do, and boot up CEMU with Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, or Smash on a 4K Display. This is real life.

Pit

No. This won't dig into switch sales. Because your majority consumer will not bother with this, let alone have the hardware to run it. Or who's to say the emu will even be better.

sanstesy

You can't predict if and how BOTW will run in CEMU since not every game is 100% perfectly emulated yet (heck, Bayonetta 2 has no sound at all afaik)

I'd love to play BOTW in 4k though, so I'll keep this on my radar. But you underestimate how much people hate to tinker with an emulator and PC to make stuff run on their system; I bet the majority will play this on their Wii U

Pretty much.

Given how Cemu works your first play through of BOTW on Cemu will be a stuttery mess, It's needs to build the shader cache as you play. Very few complete caches exist for download, MK8 being one of them, and even then the game still has some hitches (though v impressive).

Personally I'm getting the switch version then will most likely revisit the game in a years time on Cemu and play in 4k.

KHlover

Banned
Maybe after someone else has spent a few hundred hours generating a complete shader cache for BOTW. Even then I won't be able to play it on the go like I'll be able to on the Switch. Eventually it will of course offer the best IQ, framerate and textures (someone WILL start a an HD texture pack once WiiU emulators support that), that's the nature of emulators.

Nerazar

(Almost) every game is the "definitive" version on PC, so this is no exception. However, I don't see the appeal of having to buy a "decent PC" (how much are we talking? $500? $800?) for playing this game.

Officially, the Switch version is the best one out there. I'll stick to that instead of waiting.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
By launch, the emulator could be far enough along to run BotW at 4k 60fps depending on your rig.

Doubt this is happening anytime soon, since way less demanding games are running at full speed right now. So anyone who isnt interested in a BotW diashow will just play it on WiiU or Switch.

thuway

This is very true Nibel-kun. This is never going to be the mainstream option, but for those of us with patience, there is a world about to be bust open.

Also the latest CEMU update I believe has massive improvements across the board.

I mean, if emulators are allowed, PC has the definitive version of nearly every game.

Doesn't make it not the definitive version of the game.

Also, how much you wanna bet the Switch version sells more copies?

It's not that bad because the comparisons are zoomed in to highlight the clarity brought by 4k internal res and the gain in details.

23qwerty

Don't think there's any chance of it running at 60fps, but there's little doubt of it being the best version of it unless the mandatory Wii U install gets in the way

I think so. Most CEMU games don't run well enough for me at the moment but I think it's just a matter of time. I'm definitely intending to play Breath of the Wild on CEMU down the line.

thuway

Ripping a WiiU game requires owning a WiiU.
Oh I've got a Wii U and all the important games. Mario 3d World, New Super Luigi U, Smash U, Mario Kart 8, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (my only digital).

The ones I'm missing that hurt is Xenoblade X, and I game fly'd Bayo 2. So I still have some games to get before I retire the machine.

I haven't messed with the emulator, just watched the YouTube videos for now. I want to make BOTW my first experience with it.

Ghandi

Banned
Would love to do this, but seeing how far have come dolphin while still suffering problems and the "big leaps, but forget the details" attitude of the cemu team is a no go for me.

"I prefer worse IQ instead of unavoidable sudden audio distortions and ctd´s in a deep atmospheric game like zelda." -Aonuma 2016, after he got asked if the ultimate botw experience while hide behind cemu.

I love troubleshooting and fixing shit for days and still live with imperfect results in stuff like modded skyrim.

But in a Zelda?

No way man

Zojirushi

My guess is that in the grand scheme of things emulation combined with inherent hardware requirements makes up for an incredibly small and negligible percentage of the overall market.

jmga

Given how Cemu works your first play through of BOTW on Cemu will be a stuttery mess, It's needs to build the shader cache as you play. Very few complete caches exist for download, MK8 being one of them, and even then the game still has some hitches (though v impressive).

Personally I'm getting the switch version then will most likely revisit the game in a years time on Cemu and play in 4k.

Anyway, the WiiU version is running like shit as far as we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom