• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica's One performed in China featuring classical pianist Lang Lang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

iVz3WWV.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7wdhZ4Ti8

So Metallica played One last night in China with classical pianist Lang Lang. Holy shit that was awesome. I might have to look up more on this guy.

FYI : I think the title of the video says 2016 because China's New Year hasn't happened yet.

This performance happened last night.

sphinx

the piano man
as a classical pianist myself, I applaud this, I think it's great

just be free, play in other genres, enjoy the stage with other musicians, get off the high horse typical of classical pianists,

also, he is making himself visible with this sort of collaborations which will then mean more people in concert halls listening classical music.

he really managed to sell himself as a crossover pianist with dignity, without the cringeworthy piss poor "arrangements" of liberace or clayderman.

thanks for sharing

Awesome. Would love to hear Orion done this way, can't think of any better Metallica song to showcase this kind of thing in.

Yeah, but this is a longer non edited for TV time performance that is IMO better.

Just saying...

But man, they should have at least left out the part from 5:18 to 5:53. If the performance was Apocalypse Now, this would be the French Plantation sequence.

PillarEN

Holy crap they're so old now. Makes me feel ancient.

Interesting strategy-- are they looking at China now as a potential market?

Trying to figure out how Lang Lang and them would start collaborating. Seems so random.

Rolling Stones have been there and even Sonic Youth. I know Nine Inch Nails have been there, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Every so often some big act comes through there. Though I'm not sure if Sonic Youth was only in Hong Kong which wouldn't really then qualify but I'd have to do a double take on that.

EDIT: Yeah Sonic Youth were in Shanghai too

jett

D-Member
The piano seems like a nuisance here, and it's getting completely overpowered by the rest of the band.

The piano seems like a nuisance here, and it's getting completely overpowered by the rest of the band.

Agree on the overpowering and at parts the piano sounded disjointed but you have to give them props for trying something new. The piano isn't the best instrumental fix for that song.

The version played with the symphony is much better in my opinion.

I wonder if Lars told the camera crew to not put any focus on Robert Trujillo.

That album will never give any respect to the bass lines :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom