• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Nvidia driver seem to break OC on some cards

Sky87

My card: MSI Gaming X 1070

I installed 378.49 and noticed Debug mode was selected by default with no way to turn off.

http://i.imgur.com/bDbFZUo.png

This means default clocks and all OC is removed. I used DDU and reinstalled the same driver and the same thing was there. I then reinstalled 376.09 and the Debug option was back (non greyed out) and unselected.

My clocks using GPUZ's Render Test:

378.49: 1974mhz on the Core
376.09: 1987mhz on the Core

My card is factory OC with no tinkering done by me, but there may be people out there who have OC'ed theirs. I'm not sure which brands could be affected or if this is just a really bizarre bug.

EDIT: I also noticed that using the PCSS Shadow option on The Division produced huge flickering on the shadows when running the Benchmark. This was also fixed when reverting to 376.09.

Storm360

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded them but haven't installed yet, guess i'll be keeping the last version for now

It seems every Nvidia driver released in the last year has broken something. They need to either work on their quality control, or fire whatever dev team keep releasing shitty driver code without adequate testing

ISee

Debug mode is also now on for me (msi 1070 gaming x).
No differences on my overclock though (via afterburner, +89mhz core clock and + 765mhz vram clock).

376.09 = 1949+89=2038 mhz core clock
378.49 = 1949+89=2038 mhz core clock

Sky87

Debug mode is also now on for me (msi 1070 gaming x).
No differences on my overclock though (via afterburner, +89mhz core clock and + 765mhz vram clock).

376.09 = 1949+89=2038 mhz core clock
378.49 = 1949+89=2038 mhz core clock

Strange, it seems the GPU Z Render Tool might not be the most accurate to use then.

Is anyone able to test out The Division Benchmark using PCSS and shadow quality maxed? I got some severe flickering on the shadows on the latest drivers, but fixed when reverting to 376.09.

Mifec

Same here on my strix 1080

tykKt.png

_woLf

Between Nvidia's and EVGA's screw ups lately it's making it hard for me to stay excited for Nvidia cards

Coonce

just updated my drivers - GTX 980.

debug option is still there and checked, OC works just fine in games, no issues.

pretty sure the debug option checked is a UI bug that isn't affecting clocks.

try running a benchmark and see what your core clock/mem clock does.

dr_rus

This is just an UI bug of the CPL, the driver is working fine and the actual GPU clocks are the same as before.

Coonce

I did that and its still in debug, its the driver.

ok, mine also has the debug mode checked, but it isn't throttling my overclocks.

just because the debug mode is checked doesn't mean anything.

my last driver version - 376.33 ALSO had it checked.

did you check and see if your overclocks were working in game? was your clock speed being throttled on the new driver?

Head.spawn

"NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver is available"

Lately that has been code-word for, "search neogaf to see whats broken and to avoid it".

Fun times.

ISee

I've only been loosely following this but this seems to be the third thread on an Nvidia driver causing fairly major issues I've seen in the last several months.

What's going on with the green team and drivers? It's starting to look like the old CCC driver problems.

Did Nvidia drop their QA team?

Lately that has been code-word for, "search neogaf to see whats broken and to avoid it".

Fun times.

Drivers are just fine. OP just panicked because gpu-z showed incorrect clock speeds. Stuff like that can happen from time to time.

Thread should be closed.

bomblord1

Banned
I've only been loosely following this but this seems to be the third thread on an Nvidia driver causing fairly major issues I've seen in the last several months.

What's going on with the green team and drivers? It's starting to look like the old CCC driver problems.

Mohasus

It seems every Nvidia driver released in the last year has broken something. They need to either work on their quality control, or fire whatever dev team keep releasing shitty driver code without adequate testing

This is just OP overreacting.

First he says that it breaks OC, then that he doesn't OC his card... err what?

The boost clock for his card is 1797MHz, which is lower than what he has now thanks to Boost 3.0. Boost 3.0 takes in consideration a few factors and then boosts the clock of the GPU, it won't always be the same.

For example, my 970 starts at 1405MHz, but after a few minutes it goes down a step or two (a step means 13MHz) thanks to the heat.

SliChillax

No problems here. My 980ti has never never had any problems since I bought it when it came out. I guess I'm very lucky?

dr_rus

Drivers are just fine. OP just panicked because gpu-z showed incorrect clock speeds. Stuff like that can happen from time to time.

Thread should be closed.

But teh drama! and the usual cast of characters steadily notifying us how horrible NV drivers are these days.

NeOak

But teh drama! and the usual cast of characters steadily notifying us how horrible NV drivers are these days.
You didn't complain when the usual cast of characters notified us of AMD driver fuck ups.

Besides, now that I got a 1070 I'm grateful for the driver heads up.

dr_rus

You didn't complain when the usual cast of characters notified us of AMD driver fuck ups.

Besides, now that I got a 1070 I'm grateful for the driver heads up.

That's because I being a NV user don't care about AMD driver fuckups and even more - don't really know anything about them. Shocking, is it?

Driver heads up aren't needed. NV drivers are mostly fine. There were like one case in recent years where there was a serious installation issue, the rest are just usual stuff which can be fixed by installing a previous version right on top of the current one. Takes about 1 minute. But teh drama!

Spinifex

Is there an ETA on replacing the nVidia settings UI? It's horrible both in look and function, changing individual settings takes like 10 seconds to apply.

joecanada

my last update was the one where a bunch of people's including my Geoforce Experience just crashed during install and wouldn't install at all... gone.

Does anyone remember when this one was , what number, and should I do any further updates for now?

jimmypop

Banned

Fun times.

I generally don't go to NeoGAF for my PC gaming esoterica. This is the place where we hear that keeping a gaming PC maintained is like building and operating a spacecraft.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I have literally never known that the Debug Mode in the NCP exists, let alonw what it does. I've never clicked 'Help'.

Therefore, I have no way of knowing whether that box has always been checked. I'm on 369.02 and the debug is greyed out and checked.

MoogleMan

Between Nvidia's and EVGA's screw ups lately it's making it hard for me to stay excited for Nvidia cards

The whole evga thing was overblown and proven to be a bad batch of caps and nothing to do with thermals. It's the launch PS4 "issues" all over again; evga sells so many cards (just like the PS4) that a bad batch of a component is more likely to be noticed by the masses just by way of the size of the user base (also just like PS4).

I wouldn't let the evga "issue" or the nvidia driver problems dissuade you from looking at nvidia cards; not everyone has these issues, and if you're really worried, there's nothing stopping you from waiting on driver releases until kinks are worked out. I only update my drivers once every month or two. Never any issues.

Top Bottom