• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most and least affordable housing markets in the world, 2017 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
13th Annual Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey 2017 - Rating Middle-Income Housing Affordability

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The 13th Annual Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey covers 406 metropolitan housing markets (metropolitan areas) in nine countries (Australia, Canada, China, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom and the United States) for the third quarter of 2016. A total of 92 major metropolitan markets (housing markets) --- with more than 1,000,000 population --- are included, including five megacities (Tokyo-Yokohama, New York, Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto, Los Angeles, and London).

Rating Middle-Income Housing Affordability

The Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey rates middle-income housing affordability using the “Median Multiple,” which is the median house price divided by the median household income. The Median Multiple is widely used for evaluating urban markets, and has been recommended by the World Bank and the United Nations and is used by the Joint Center for Housing Studies, Harvard University. The Median Multiple and other price-to-income multiples (housing affordability multiples) are used to compare housing affordability between markets by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the International Monetary Fund, The Economist, and other organizations.

Historically, liberally regulated markets have exhibited median house prices that are three times or less that of median household incomes, for a Median Multiple of 3.0 or less. Demographia uses the following housing affordability ratings (Table ES-1).

CJUEYdJ.png

The top of the Most Affordable list for major housing markets are all in the US:

pLQv6HKl.png

The Least Affordable list for major housing markets:

2JFbiK0l.png

As in the past, each of the severely unaffordable major markets are characterized by urban containment policy or variations

o2H88Qp.png

And the overall lists for all surveyed markets:

MeWMjnhl.png

2jpJunjl.png

I'm assuming that 367 in the last table is a typo and should be 406.

More detailed breakdown as well as info on specific regions are in the 84 page report.

johnny956

Put my 2 cents as a St. Louis native. Live 5 miles from downtown. Fully renovated 1700sq ft house. I pay $1100 month for mortgage/taxes/insurance for my house.

milanbaros

Member?
What is keeping the HK price to income ratio so high? Is it buyers not resident in the city?

That ratio screams massive bubble.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Rochester is so cheap a fucking ex con drug dealer bought the 5 bedroom house my boyfriend and I were renting and moved into the first floor, all for like 180k.

We got the fuck outta there and left the deposit behind.

City is decent in some areas though. Great art scene.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
hm i drove through it a couple of years ago and it looked pretty miserable

in what way has its downtown gotten more energy?

If you drove through it on your way to the Falls you likely only saw the run down industrial side of the city from the highway.

Downtown is okay but it's kinda sprawly and there's no real public transit.

There are some great waterfront activities though. Excellent festivals and Pride parade.

Put my 2 cents as a St. Louis native. Live 5 miles from downtown. Fully renovated 1700sq ft house. I pay $1100 month for mortgage/taxes/insurance for my house.
I have a 1400sq ft, plus the finished basement, house halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh for under $600 a month with the taxes and insurance. It's nice living in a cheap area.

gaiages

Banned
Do you think you got an accurate picture of the region by "driving through it a couple of years ago"? Come on man. Open your mind a bit.

I mean Buffalo is my hometown and it was always kind of... depressed looking. Like an Industrial Revolution remnant feel.

If they've spruced up in the last decade though, good for them.

Ludono

That sounds ridiculously cheap actually . Do you mean square feet?

Yes, sorry I meant feet. 100 square feet for 7,000 Hong Kong Dollars a month. I only did it because my salary made up for it, I could have gone for something nicer but with it being a short term thing I wanted to maximise my income. I actually ended up subletting it once I left since I still have another year on the lease for 8,000 HKD since the housing market has just been skyrocketing YOY

Surprised Bournemouth and Dorset are on there but not London.

I lived in Bournemouth for 15 years - completely ridiculous rents - if you want anything other than a hovel in Boscombe (the bad area of Bournemouth)
Really small 1 bedroom flat was £650 a month minimum - that was 5 years ago - I imagine it's worse now.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I had no idea San Jose real estate was that sought after. I'm not from California - what's so great about San Jose? Is it b/c of silicon valley? Whenever I read about Cali real estate its usually San Francisco and LA that are mentioned.

riotous

Banned
Surprised Bournemouth and Dorset are on there but not London.

Don't they factor in average pay of the local businesses?

edit: Average income I guess.. but places just outside of major cities often have skewed stats... the houses sold there are for the wealthy people who work in the big city, but there's still plenty of local people with low income who can't afford the housing. Whereas people who actually live inside the city proper have much more expensive real estate, but almost everyone has a high income.

lt519

yeah who the fuck would choose to live in buffalo

Meh, people shit on Central New York too (re: Buffalo). I went to school in Rochester (which is #1 here) and live in Syracuse. 1-2 months of crappy snow, but doesn't really affect my day to day life. It's no different than Seattle as far as being a gray city. What this survey doesn't capture is that Rochester burbs can be super nice with excellent schools, same with Cuse.

Syracuse is dirt cheap too, live extremely extremely comfortable on my salary.

I had no idea San Jose real estate was that sought after. I'm not from California - what's so great about San Jose? Is it b/c of silicon valley? Whenever I read about Cali real estate its usually San Francisco and LA that are mentioned.

Yes, most people don't realize that is where it is.

These lists are odd. Yes, Detroit is one of the most affordable markets if you only look at the city itself. If you look at some of the suburbs surrounding Detroit, things are totally different. Median home price in Detroit according to Zillow is $37,600 but next door in Bloomfield Hills it goes up to $423,500.

Exactly, their #1 Rochester, this is a Zillow map literally 5 minutes down the road in Brighton, houses reaching 750k and averaging in the 200's:

riotous

Banned
I had no idea San Jose real estate was that sought after. I'm not from California - what's so great about San Jose?

It's within driving distance of loads of high paying companies, but the companies don't actually exist inside of San Jose. So I think it throws off the "affordability numbers" because the pay of the local companies isn't enough to afford the real estate sold there, because the people don't work inside of San Jose.

Mountain View and Cupertino or instance are very close to San Jose, and San Francisco and surrounding cities with tech / finance company presence aren't that far either.

It's a terrible place to try to live if you work retail or something like that; however since there's so much money there it has ridiculously fancy malls and shopping centers everywhere.

Machine

These lists are odd. Yes, Detroit is one of the most affordable markets if you only look at the city itself. If you look at some of the suburbs surrounding Detroit, things are totally different. Median home price in Detroit according to Zillow is $37,600 but next door in Bloomfield Hills it goes up to $423,500.

Interesting. By this metric used, Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto is actually a cheap place to buy a house: the median multiplier is lower than all of the areas in the UK in the study.

Anticol

Banned

Is that expensive? a house for $420? A one bedroom apartment in Sydney or Melbourne is $450k

btags

Rochester is so cheap a fucking ex con drug dealer bought the 5 bedroom house my boyfriend and I were renting and moved into the first floor, all for like 180k.

We got the fuck outta there and left the deposit behind.

City is decent in some areas though. Great art scene.

Does your boyfriend happen to work in a lab? I feel like someone I worked with in the past year had this happen to them in Rochester.

Hypron

I like in Auckland which is rank 4th/6th and yeah it's crazy. Prices have skyrocketed recently. My parents bought a house 5 years ago and sold it last year for 80% more than what they bought it for - and that's not unusual.

Most of my friends who have already been working for a few years and would like to get a house are severely depressed by this - owning a home seems so far out of reach.

btags

Exactly, their #1 Rochester, this is a Zillow map literally 5 minutes down the road in Brighton, houses reaching 750k and averaging in the 200's:

I have looked at the 750k house for fun and it is a monster of a house. It is definitely more of an exception than the norm in the area.

BlitzKeeg

Rochester represent!

Not too bad here if you can handle the cold and snow. It's only going to get better with climate change anyway. lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Portland market is still crazy. The Zillowestimate on our house is $350,000 more than what we paid for it 4 years ago.

Damn, I'm emigrating to central Sydney :(

Sydney has excellent transport, look at areas with good rail links. Work fast though, even the less desirable areas on the outskirts are slowly getting gentrified. New builds over an hour away from Sydney CBD are hitting over a million based on future transport links going in.

We just said "Fuck this!" and moved to the Blue Mountains, 6 bedroom house on an acre for half of what we'd have paid where the wife works which is a 40 minute drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom